Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

Scavenger Crane not realistic - is that a problem for anyone else?

What are you guys talking about? The discarded weapon has to be on the ship that's using the Scavenger Crane.

edit: babbaganoush beat me to it.

I understand completely how the upgrade works, I was trying to introduce some brevity. You are thinking too hard and taking this upgrade too literal. It jury rigs explosive crap out of blown up ships. Be thankful that it can't be used on debris fields. It could be more than just a crane, it might have an explosive matter converter attached, who knows.

You mean "levity", jerk.

Haha, I have a phone autocorrect moment and this princess gets all princessy

Your reply came off as snarky, and there's been a lot of that kind of stuff here over the past year of so. It's driven away many forum members, a number of which I really enjoyed talking with and reading their theory crafting concepts.

If I misinterpreted your reply, then I apologize. Combating snark with outright hostility, is bad form anyway. 

edit: Just realized I made that reply this morning after taking a shower barely luke warm water because our hot water heater is still not working right. The cold tends to make a bit hostile, and I was absolutely furious this morning, lol.

Edited by Radarman5

What are you guys talking about? The discarded weapon has to be on the ship that's using the Scavenger Crane.

edit: babbaganoush beat me to it.

I understand completely how the upgrade works, I was trying to introduce some brevity. You are thinking too hard and taking this upgrade too literal. It jury rigs explosive crap out of blown up ships. Be thankful that it can't be used on debris fields. It could be more than just a crane, it might have an explosive matter converter attached, who knows.

You mean "levity", jerk.

Haha, I have a phone autocorrect moment and this princess gets all princessy

Your reply came off as snarky, and there's been a lot of that kind of stuff here over the past year of so. It's driven away many forum members, a number of which I really enjoyed talking with and reading their theory crafting concepts.

If I misinterpreted your reply, then I apologize. Combating snark with outright hostility, is bad form anyway. 

edit: Just realized I made that reply this morning after taking a shower barely luke warm water because our hot water heater is still not working right. The cold tends to make a bit hostile, and I was absolutely furious this morning, lol.

My computer is getting fixed and I have to reply by iPhone atm. I sensed that the discussion was getting heated at points so tried to bring some humour in about TIE pilots using Proton torpedoes. For some reason phone changed levity to brevity, may have even typed it wrong to start with.

My thoughts on this upgrade are that we don't know how it's supposed to work, so let the dev's have their fun. It's not game breaking yet. There are a lot more cards that need a look in before this one.

So I have this theory that within the galaxy that star wars exists, outer space isn't actually a vacuum. It's a silly theory of course. But maybe, there's some element, either naturally occurring or the result of some ancient Rakatan experiment, that allows for a low level of atmosphere throughout most of the void.

I recommend adopting this view. It will save you for an infinite number of "WTF did I just see/read?!"moments.

Edited by Radarman5

couldnt care less

Green dice would **** it harder than any dial could

Well if not, you, there would be plenty of others rioting in the streets.  No way that most people would meekly accept an Interceptor with a crap dial.

right but if youre using that as a reason for my fluff > gameplay, youre missing the point entirely. This is more stupid thing made for no real reason > fluff

There is no reason to introduce a slow interceptor, esp when you already have other slow ships in the game

Slow interceptors wouldnt actually benefit gameplay at all

But it does let interesting new gameplay elements slide in regardless of how little sense they make when you stop to think about it

Maybe I'm not making my point clear.  Let's say that you take the TIE Bomber and TIE Interceptor, and switch every stat.  So you have a 2/2/6/0 TIE interceptor with the TIE Bomber dial and upgrade bar, etc., and vice versa with the TIE Bomber.  Switch the skins on the expansion, if you will.  Would that be cool for you?

I don't give a **** which model has what stats. As long as the model clearly belongs to the card I'm good to go. 

*Note: I play a spaceship miniatures game that happens to be themed with an IP I am a fan of. I am not playing a Star Wars game that happens to be a miniatures spaceship game. Give me a similar game with miniatures that I didn't need to paint or assemble and an active local community and I would likely have gotten into it even if it didn't use licensed IP.

I wouldn't care about this game if it wasn't SW. Drop SW theme and I'm out.

^^^^^ UNTIL HE WHAT!!!!!

Cliffhanger.

Freeze to death in the vacuum of space.... ER... how are we talking?

And freezing to death in the vacuum is actually not a thing as the only way for your body to loose heat is via radiation and takes a long time.

And you won't explode.

If exposed to space you actually will have embolies and the danger of your lungs rapturing.

This whole freezing to death is a unrealistic thing brougth up by Hollywood. 

Actually you have a few minutes to survive and beeing rescued. 

The chest box on Rebel pilots uniforme actually contains a small force field generator to keep atmospheric pressure and breathable air for the pilot in case of ejection. The masks Han and Leia were using could also have force field generators.

Yeah, you guys should read about NASA's experiment with putting monkeys (and I think, dogs as well) into the vacuum of space, to see how long something could survive without any permanent damage, I think it's a little under 5 minutes, iirc. 

Yeah, you guys should read about NASA's experiment with putting monkeys (and I think, dogs as well) into the vacuum of space, to see how long something could survive without any permanent damage, I think it's a little under 5 minutes, iirc. 

Unusually for a soft scifi show, Farscape actually did this right IIRC.

I never expect any degree of realism from Star Wars or X-wing; they operate in their own ruleset and I'm happy for it... but the Scavenger Crane does seem a little, silly, I guess.

I really don't care too much, I'm still getting a Quad or two, and will maybe try the crane out for poops and laughs, but I don't think it will see much use overall.

It's just Extra Munitions for Z95s and Kihraxz really. I could see it being used in Alpha strike lists, but I don't see that as becoming a meta thing anytime soon.

Don't think it will be useful on Dengar?

couldnt care less

Green dice would **** it harder than any dial could

Well if not, you, there would be plenty of others rioting in the streets. No way that most people would meekly accept an Interceptor with a crap dial.

right but if youre using that as a reason for my fluff > gameplay, youre missing the point entirely. This is more stupid thing made for no real reason > fluff

There is no reason to introduce a slow interceptor, esp when you already have other slow ships in the game

Slow interceptors wouldnt actually benefit gameplay at all

But it does let interesting new gameplay elements slide in regardless of how little sense they make when you stop to think about it

Maybe I'm not making my point clear. Let's say that you take the TIE Bomber and TIE Interceptor, and switch every stat. So you have a 2/2/6/0 TIE interceptor with the TIE Bomber dial and upgrade bar, etc., and vice versa with the TIE Bomber. Switch the skins on the expansion, if you will. Would that be cool for you?

I don't give a **** which model has what stats. As long as the model clearly belongs to the card I'm good to go.

*Note: I play a spaceship miniatures game that happens to be themed with an IP I am a fan of. I am not playing a Star Wars game that happens to be a miniatures spaceship game. Give me a similar game with miniatures that I didn't need to paint or assemble and an active local community and I would likely have gotten into it even if it didn't use licensed IP.

I wouldn't care about this game if it wasn't SW. Drop SW theme and I'm out.

the sw theme is great for the publicity of the game

Also the incredible miniatures quality

But if it werent a good game, we'd just move onto the next thing in short order

SWs has no shortage of entertainment to offer; why waste time with a subpar experience?

Hell, ffg itself would provide alternatives

Edited by ficklegreendice

It's just Extra Munitions for Z95s and Kihraxz really. I could see it being used in Alpha strike lists, but I don't see that as becoming a meta thing anytime soon.

You'd loose Glitterstim. Why not just use EM? Do you want to equip 2 different Torps?

You'd loose Glitterstim. Why not just use EM? Do you want to equip 2 different Torps?

I haven't seen a huge need for Glitter on Dengar. I think the Crane is less for torpedoes and more for Countermeasues.

For me, on the basis of "Realistic"..  For me, the Crane "replacing" ordnance is more along the lines of...

"I have a load of Torpedoes...  But seriously, they're like, 500 Credits a Pop...  I'm not going to waste all of my money firing them off multiple times unless I have some Choice Income...  I mean...  Seriously...  I have a Budget her-----  OOH, Shiny Engine Parts!"