Sign in to follow this  
Engrimm

What's Next?

So I just got back into the game (had stopped just before the app was released I think), and bought everything to get the app to 100%.

But usually there's always a product or two that's already announced that will be released in the future, but I can't find anything.  

Anybody got any info on this?

So I just got back into the game (had stopped just before the app was released I think), and bought everything to get the app to 100%.

But usually there's always a product or two that's already announced that will be released in the future, but I can't find anything.  

Anybody got any info on this?

No news, actually. Not sure why. I'd be happy if there was always an announcement tbh. The app has a paid dlc if you haven't gotten that yet. It's called Delve, and you complete short mini maps. Welcome back!

I cant imagine they would 3rd Edition Descent already. They would create some serious aggravation amongst the players that they picked up specifically with the App's release. Plus, I can't see them sinking some time into the App only to move on to a 3rd Edition so quickly. Some other posters uncovered some unused hero icons in the Apps database, I believe there were four completely new heroes along with four 1st Edition Heroes that have yet to be released.

I am hoping we hear something soon. I know I would be among the crowd that would be extremely disappointed by the end of 2nd Edition content. I am looking forward to FFG's year of Terrinoth (hopefully) with RuneWars Miniature game, and hopefully we can get some lore books and I wouldn't mind a LCG based out of the universe.

Edited by Mordliss

Noticed that they're currently re-printing the base game box of Descent 2nd ed since it's out of stock right now, doubt they would go for a reprint if they intended to go for 3rd edition anytime soon.

Still would be nice to know what's next though lol, i'd be happy even with a new app campaign! Selling it around the price of the Delve would sure be an instant hit.

Noticed that they're currently re-printing the base game box of Descent 2nd ed since it's out of stock right now, doubt they would go for a reprint if they intended to go for 3rd edition anytime soon.

Still would be nice to know what's next though lol, i'd be happy even with a new app campaign! Selling it around the price of the Delve would sure be an instant hit.

While I agree with your thinking, its of note that all the Mansions-Madness stuff was in the reprint list until 2nd ed was released then it dissapeared suddenly. However in this instance I do think its more to do with fast sales following the app release :)

and there were rumors flying around of shadow flame getting a campain book, now that "heirs of blood" is in the base game.

also the app is doing so will see more content for it.

some new Hero and Monster set with the missing heroes (hence the post above)

and the missing two classes from the small boxes will see the light of the day.

just relax. not everthing will happen all once.  sadly sometimes the boardgame world runs painfully slow....

my guess is, that we will hear something soon. FFG has to linie up its Q1/Q2 2017 releases.

Edited by zwara81

and there were rumors flying around of shadow flame getting a campain book, now that "heirs of blood" is in the base game.

also the app is doing so will see more content for it.

some new Hero and Monster set with the missing heroes (hence the post above)

and the missing two classes from the small boxes will see the light of the day.

just relax. not everthing will happen all once.  sadly sometimes the boardgame world runs painfully slow....

my guess is, that we will hear something soon. FFG has to linie up its Q1/Q2 2017 releases.

Do you mean Shadow Rune Campaign?

Yeah, I remember that discussion time ago. About improving the campaign, increasing the flavour in the story and enchanting the campaign balance...and others saying that it would be unfair for those who had the original, but then what about those who don't have it at all...

While I think it is unprobable, I agree that a Campaign Book is needed. I mean, I would prefer a Campaign Book instead of another Boxed Expansion, and one that mixes at least two expansions at the same time (but not like Mist-Chains idea).

OR...A full lore book like Mordliss (and many others have said) would be nice too. 

As for the topic in general, I think there won't be news at least until January (like zwara81 said). We got too many news in a very short time (at least since Road to Legend was announced). I don't have too much time here, but I remember there was a time where people believe Descent was dead and a 3rd Edition was coming. 

Now, I think it is time to chill, enjoy the game for a while and avoid FFG from panicking, so they decide to split another big box into two small boxes *coff* Mist-Chains *coff*

There is nothing new announced, but imo there is no reason to think that this is the end of D2ed support.

FFG is wrapping up another big Imperial Assault Expansion, Doom 2ed and RuneWars miniatures, so I guess their whole miniature department is at top output at the moment and since a new Descent product would involve new miniatures, I'm quite sure it's not a top priority at this point in time to finish the needed art-assets to bring you a news article concerning D2ed.

Also I think FFG is kind of evaluating where their business-model for D2ed is going and what their next expansion looks like. Maybe their "80$ Bigbox" expansion with less content than their 60$ Bigbox expansions isn't doing so well, while the app is hugely popular. Yet again, since they practically took 2 years to release this 80$ Bigbox hence split it up into 2 40$ Smallbox expansions (with the hero classes in the second expansion, which is just not very smart) one for each year, I really hope they do something different.

Since imo they split the expansions to keep Descent in the Talks, I would really like to see them changing their strategy into something like this:

Keep Descent in the Talks and News by producing and releasing app content that also make the 80$ Bigbox more vaiable (I think it now at least adds more to the Delve than a big box or 2 regular small box expansions) and release a normal Bigbox expansion in 2 years, while maybe releasing a H&M pack and/or a campaign book the year before.

Also the Shadow-Rune campaign book was pretty much confirmed before they released the app by the german partners of FFG. While I still can't see how they want to release this (Shadow Rune campaign is really bad compared to every other campaign and in need for a HUGE overhaul to even compare to the newer campaigns), I really hope they release a campaign book for Nerekhall. Of course they could release an entirly new campaign for the base game and put the ~3-4 good encounters of the Shadow Rune campaign in it, which would imo make most sense.

Edited by DAMaz

I just hope they produce much more.

So many people bought into D2 as a result of the app, as proved by FFG quoting sales info. I myself bought almost everything due to this.

If they were to release that, gain so many new players and then end it, there would be a LOT of upset.

Though the release of Doom-2nd-Ed concerns me a bit as I understood D2 was loosly based on the Doom mechanics, so if Doom is now worthy of a revamp lets hope it isnt leading to a similar thing with D2.

The app has opened the doors so wide, lets just keep releasing app content and physical content for this glorious money sink!! Please :)

They already have a lot of physical product. What they need is better app support for the physical products they already have. Once the software catches up to the physical products, then yeah, bring more on.

While I do agree, so much content, I'm not sure if selling app quests alone would be as cost effective for ffg as boxes with tiles, minis etc. Just not sure. Also if a lot of cash comes from collector veterans, then new physical content would be wanted.

Depends how they can make money.

I'd like to but a whole stack of rtl campaigns.

But some folks don't use our like the app and want more normal content.

I just hope they produce much more.

So many people bought into D2 as a result of the app, as proved by FFG quoting sales info. I myself bought almost everything due to this.

If they were to release that, gain so many new players and then end it, there would be a LOT of upset.

Though the release of Doom-2nd-Ed concerns me a bit as I understood D2 was loosly based on the Doom mechanics, so if Doom is now worthy of a revamp lets hope it isnt leading to a similar thing with D2.

The app has opened the doors so wide, lets just keep releasing app content and physical content for this glorious money sink!! Please :)

I wouldn't be concerned about Doom though (except for taking over D2 game-design resources as did IA).

The big 2nd editions from FFG have always corresponded with a problem of the 1st edition that was in the way of their vision for expanding the game, as well as progress in gaming components quality.

As much as I know of Descent 1ed, campaign play was introduced by an expansion and while it worked, it wasn't the cleanest implementation and also not part of the base game (thus problematic to base future expansions on this mechanic). Also the miniatures of Descent 1ed were much lower quality and thus problematic to mix with better looking miniatures. The same can be said of the maptiles and overall artwork. So FFG released a 2ed with campaign play at its core from the start, modern artwork and miniatures, more streamlined gameplay and more varied quests.

The same thing occured with Runebound 3rd edition. Runebound 2ed was too long, had out of date artwork and expansions were kind of messy. So they revamped the artwork, built a system that had the idea of expansion built in and also introduced mechanisms that allowed for more decisions and options.

Mansions of Madness 2ed, revamped the game to overcome the following detriments of the game: Set-up time, Set-up mistakes can ruin entire games, fiddly and time consuming systems and the need for a GM (as the balance didn't work quite out).

Take Runewars 2ed in contrast: Nothing has changed, except they made it cheaper to sell and store and put in an optional rule that allowed for shorter games (yes they also added 4 mini-cards although they are not needed for this rule imo)

So why is a 3rd Edition for Descent unlikely at this point in time?

FFG is slowly updating their Runebound product family to the new style introduced by Descent 2ed.

App-play (OL less cooperative play) works perfectly fine with the 2ed core game and existing and new expansions can easily add to this mode without alteration.

Their new Runewars Miniature game (which is produced with their cutting edge mini-production quality) uses the excact miniatures and artwork of Descent 2ed (although they are a bit bigger) and these miniatures don't look out of place mixed with D2ed core minis (except for a few excpetions that got reworked though).

FFG  switched the Core-game Campaign one year ago, without going to 3rd edition (yet Runewars did go to 2ed with no game-play changes), which imo says something about them wanting to go along with 2ed for quite some time.

Edited by DAMaz