Sign in to follow this  
qcipher

Parry and Reflect

I was struggling for a bit with how it applies to reducing damage, but got that figured out.

Since they're both Incidentals, how many have you allowed in a turn?  Technically an Incidental is free, but should there be a limit?  In the movies and shows they typically use these multiple times in a round.  If it became an issue maybe I'd say 3 times?  But maybe it's best to say, use it as often as you care to pay for, as long as you're not using it more than once on one specific hit.

How have you done it?

Right I said in my post that they couldn't use it more than once on the same blow or shot:

"But maybe it's best to say, use it as often as you care to pay for, as long as you're not using it more than once on one specific hit."

My question was about how many times could you use it in a round; presumably by being shot at by more than one person, or fighting more than one person in melee.

The "can't parry the same blow twice" logic has never made sense to me. That's not at all what this talent represents, just as a Lightsaber check does not represent a single swing of the sword. The lightsaber check represents likely neat a dozen (or more!) swings, each oh which could be parried individually. So it's like saying, "You can't parry a single attack more then once so you can't party more than once during a flurry of attacks."

Now, too be clear, I'm not saying that you should be able to use Parry more than once per incoming combat check, only that that particular reasoning for why is nonsensical. You could easily say that your ranks in Parry represent the total effort of your attempts to defend (like a combat check is the total efforts of your attempt to harm), or something like that. But one parry/strike means one Parry per check?

Now, as for the question at hand: the limit of the number of times you can use Parry and/or Reflect in a round is indeed limited, and the limit is your strain threshold. That's why it has a strain cost: all talents and abilities with a strain cost have them to indicate that the ability is limited usage, and that limit is dictated by your personal endurance.

Edited by Absol197

So the limit (or lack of) being only the Strain is what's being suggested.  Seems pretty valid to me.  Mainly curious if any had put limits on it, or saw that it seemed to be too powerful.  Thanks for the input.

I was struggling for a bit with how it applies to reducing damage, but got that figured out.

Since they're both Incidentals, how many have you allowed in a turn?  Technically an Incidental is free, but should there be a limit?  In the movies and shows they typically use these multiple times in a round.  If it became an issue maybe I'd say 3 times?  But maybe it's best to say, use it as often as you care to pay for, as long as you're not using it more than once on one specific hit.

How have you done it?

Tikk the strain runs out if a player with reflect , reflects 4 hits thats 12 strain even the most enduring characters wont last more than 2 rounds, if they use supreme parry they can manage more but then they are foregoing attacking to do so. Similarly with parry remember a round is as long as it requires to be so dont sweat over how often it's used per round.

The "can't parry the same blow twice" logic has never made sense to me. That's not at all what this talent represents, just as a Lightsaber check does not represent a single swing of the sword. The lightsaber check represents likely neat a dozen (or more!) swings, each oh which could be parried individually. So it's like saying, "You can't parry a single attack more then once so you can't party more than once during a flurry of attacks."

Now, too be clear, I'm not saying that you should be able to use Parry more than once per incoming combat check, only that that particular reasoning for why is nonsensical. You could easily say that your ranks in Parry represent the total effort of your attempts to defend (like a combat check is the total efforts of your attempt to harm), or something like that. But one parry/strike means one Parry per check?

Now, as for the question at hand: the limit of the number of times you can use Parry and/or Reflect in a round is indeed limited, and the limit is your strain threshold. That's why it has a strain cost: all talents and abilities with a strain cost have them to indicate that the ability is limited usage, and that limit is dictated by your personal endurance.

Parry is limited per hit, not per attack anyway. Now a hit itself is not a singular thing either, but a hit is in the same way abstracted as parry or reflect is. They are basically using the same measurement unit. ;-)

The rules are actually quite clear on this. Page 149 and Page 150 of the Force and Destiny core book state: "This talent may only be used once per hit" in the description of both Parry and Reflect.

The rules are actually quite clear on this. Page 149 and Page 150 of the Force and Destiny core book state: "This talent may only be used once per hit" in the description of both Parry and Reflect.

It's as clear as my original post, where I said:

"But maybe it's best to say, use it as often as you care to pay for, as long as you're not using it more than once on one specific hit."

Multiple times on one specific hit against the user was never the question.  It was always bout using it multiple times to defend against multiple hits against the user.

Sorry, the question got misinterpreted early on, but it was never about using it more than once on one hit.

If you get hit by three attacks in one round, you can use Parry/Reflect 3 times if you want, but it costs you 3 strain per use for a total of 9 strain. There's no need to put a cap on the number of Parry or Reflect incidentals you can take; the strain cost makes the talents self-regulating.

If you get hit by three attacks in one round, you can use Parry/Reflect 3 times if you want, but it costs you 3 strain per use for a total of 9 strain. There's no need to put a cap on the number of Parry or Reflect incidentals you can take; the strain cost makes the talents self-regulating.

That seems to be the consensus, so I'll be using that.  Thanks all.