IceQube MkII

European Championships - Awesome!

Double elimination means that you need to lose twice to get kicked out of the cut.

It is usefull on cardcames that use best of 1 instead of best of 3.
Or, in the case of Netrunner, on games where you switch between two factions.

A double elimination for Armada would mean 5+ rounds :).

And Aramda seems to have only a cut for top4. Not for top 16.
Top 16 would be, as i said, a total overkill.

Edited by Tokra

that would make more sense from the expected participant perspective. 4 games, then cut. But on the other hand not very fair to have people proceeding to cut from a different pool before ever playing some swiss together.

11 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Look at the Armada schedule...

...you guys sure it's not 2 days of 4 games each, with the top 2 each day go to eliminations?

It's awkwardly worded...but not all Englishmen can phrase their own language.

Star Wars Armada:

Registration opens: 9am Friday 2nd June
First round starts: 11am Friday 2nd June. 4 Rounds planned on Day 1
Day two registration opens: 8am Saturday 3rd June
Round 5 starts: 10am. 4 rounds are scheduled on Day 2
Day three registration starts: 8am Sunday 4th June for the top 4.
Top 16 4 (?) begins at 10am

I really think it is full 8 rounds for everyone. Round 5 is a good indicator for it.

And it is a cut for top4. At worlds 2016 it was said that it was a cut for top 2 from each day. And you had to choose on what day you wanted to play at the worlds 2016.

For the EC you have to register for friday. Not for saturday. So it is one big tournament. But it would be that they only do 3 rounds per day, when they have only 60 player instead of the planed 100.
They wrote "4 rounds planned".
And even 6 rounds and a cut for top 4 is above the average for a ~50 player tournament.

But 8 rounds mean that an average of 7 points might be enought to get into the cut.
On worlds 2017 it was 7.4.

14 minutes ago, Tokra said:

I really think it is full 8 rounds for everyone. Round 5 is a good indicator for it.

And it is a cut for top4. At worlds 2016 it was said that it was a cut for top 2 from each day. And you had to choose on what day you wanted to play at the worlds 2016.

For the EC you have to register for friday. Not for saturday. So it is one big tournament. But it would be that they only do 3 rounds per day, when they have only 60 player instead of the planed 100.
They wrote "4 rounds planned".
And even 6 rounds and a cut for top 4 is above the average for a ~50 player tournament.

But 8 rounds mean that an average of 7 points might be enought to get into the cut.
On worlds 2017 it was 7.4.

You know how many have signed up for the EC?

22 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

You know how many have signed up for the EC?

Yes, you can see it on the registration.

Boardgame Events

Limit: 100;  available: 54.

This means there are currently 46 player signed up.

Edit: and as sidenote: you can only sign up for friday. Not for saturday.
This means there is only one tournament for all 3 days.

Edited by Tokra

2 minutes ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Birmingham to Birmingham is a pricey ticket...$1,700.  I wish I could spend the money to hang with you guys.

Since this prompted me...  (Not that I can go to the States), but if I were to, Tickets from Calgary are within $150 of each other, going to either Birmingham...

2 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

And someone signed up today. I still have to actually buy a ticket. I cant be the only one

I got my ticket and then the NHS decide to saw my leg in half and stick it back on in a different way so I've had a refund, it's the Nationals for me instead.

On 09/05/2017 at 8:42 AM, NebulonB said:

List-wise its a headache, though. I'll get this off me, interesting or not.

Going to Europeans is an investment, flight, hotel, registration, time away from family. Next to a good time you naturally want to do well also, as competitive player why bother otherwise? 

As a rebel player, I got comfortable with an MC80 command and Yavaris under Rieekan for a long time. Turns out 4 ships are not as good as 5, and an AFK is not so much worse than an MC80 command (and better in some aspects),, and  after Worlds, some people see Rieekan and probably cry "cheap". And I dont want to imagine the "told you so" threads created should Rieekan win again. Some  will inevitably and understandably play him, nonetheless, and the success of any counters at worlds was, well, limited. No doubt there are lists and good players who beat Rieekan aces, but a tourney is about best chances, and that means fly what you comfortable with and maximise advantages given to you by FFG. Also, there are bomber heavy lists (conventional and otherwise), how to counter them if not with persistent squads on your own side. 

Next to the blast this will be, it will also be a tricky environment. I cant deny a certain pull.

Don't feel bad about it - take the list you love to play. At the end of the day, it is a lot of your time and money invested. So make sure you have a list you will enjoy having a LOT of games with! :-)

22 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Makes me want to come play with my man tool...

Do it! Would be great to get a good international turnout too. I suspect that we will recognise a lot of the faces at Euros from the last Regionals season in the UK (myself included).

The more weird and wonderful local metas into the melting pot, the better!

there was a full article, complete with pictures of the prizes. Included an Obi Wan alt card, objective tokens, mentioning of influencing the next alt card (instead of Worlds original card co-development).

Maybe someone was too quick, and they want to bring prizes for all games in one article. But there WAS an article, or my dreams are very very realistic :)

Unfortunately, No. :(

I mean, its entirely possible - but if such an article was put out, either it was retracted and deleted before anyone got any official notice from FFG in their Mailing List.......  OR it wasn't put out by FFG, but by someone else.  because there is no record of it on the Page, other than the one I linked with the "Sneak Peek" at prizing, which states there will be more details forthcoming, but hasn't yet...  (Its been 4 weeks since then, I acknowledge).

But they've so far shown the Challenge Coin and the deck Box, and then had listings of the Top 4 reservations and all, in that April 05th Article.

But nothing since.

They only dropped World's prizes like, 2 weeks before the big game...  Maybe they'll do the same with the Euros?  (Which could be article next week)...

I also just trolled through the FFG Facebook, the FFG OP Facebook, and the Twitters of Both to see if there was a sneak peek there, and sorry, I just can't find anything on the matter...  And I do consider myself pretty good at the Search-Fu thing...  So unless you've got some further guidance, I'd say that if it existed, its been well-hidden now.

Edited by Drasnighta

you are totally right to be doubtful, especially since you are really good with searching.

BUUUT I couldnt make up those specific prizes I saw. The article will come again and show them (yep, deckbox was included also, in green I think). And a playmat. Either that, or I need a psychiatrist. :)

I was skimming the IA forum, but didnt see reference. On the other hand, Europeans dont meet with much interest, anyway.

10 minutes ago, NebulonB said:

you are totally right to be doubtful, especially since you are really good with searching.

BUUUT I couldnt make up those specific prizes I saw. The article will come again and show them (yep, deckbox was included also, in green I think). And a playmat. Either that, or I need a psychiatrist. :)

I was skimming the IA forum, but didnt see reference. On the other hand, Europeans dont meet with much interest, anyway.

I mean, its possible it might have been pushed, seen, and retracted because others weren't ready - but that would be very odd (and rightly pulled).

I've been keeping eyes on the Euro Champs, because due to my unique circumstances, despite the additional cost, its more likely that I can travel there, than the United States, despite that being a drive away.

Also, FFG's own Event Page on Facebook only states the First Prize Article linked

https://www.facebook.com/events/2304760402995599/

Also, from Alex Himself:

People has startede to ask a lot. Any more spoilers for prizes at European/Worlds/Store Championships?

Alex Watkins Coming soon. The article is pending 1f642.png:)

(April 18th)
Edited by Drasnighta