IceQube MkII

European Championships - Awesome!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/21/the-2017-european-championships/

Coming from North America, I'm really happy that there will be more premier global events!

Also, not to forget Australia... (is Armada being played in Asia and the Pacific Rim)?  I think there needs to be a bigger championship out there.  Sorry, I'm not even sure if Armada is big in other parts of the world... would love to hear if you play in a lesser known part of the world.

Love this community!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/21/the-2017-european-championships/

Coming from North America, I'm really happy that there will be more premier global events!

Also, not to forget Australia... (is Armada being played in Asia and the Pacific Rim)?  I think there needs to be a bigger championship out there.  Sorry, I'm not even sure if Armada is big in other parts of the world... would love to hear if you play in a lesser known part of the world.

Love this community!

It is.

It is Huge.

It is Hampered by a Single Distributor who has a reputation for being...  inconsistent....  (And I hope that's changing, I really do)

But it is huge in Australia, and thusly, they were representative of 5% of the Worlds Fields, despite the fact that there was no support from anyone to get them there, Champions or Not...  (They got support this year, I have been informed Below - Which is FANTASTIC)....

That Store Champs/Regionals were delayed ~6months at one point in the past couple of years.....  No Massing of Sullust....   And honestly, if you don't book at the right time - Return tickets from there to the US can set you back $3k.

So yes, it is an absolute travesty that FFG is unable to organise something massive for them...  But again, its probably just Logistically based...  With a Country the Size of it, even picking what is considered a centralised location in regards to amenities and population, can make it impossible for the majority.....

Edited by Drasnighta

Ah just to jump in Dras, we were given financial support this year. Between Good Games / Let's Play and FFG flights and

accomodation were covered for most Australian national champions this year (Armada, X-Wing, Imperial Assault, Netrunner definitely).

But I do agree with you. FFG gives us such little love for such a large and active community and it can be really frustrating. I'm still a little bitter about the fact that several American Massing at Sullust events had two people turn up, yet we were ignored for a kit when it would have been an easy 25-30+ player tournament.

A big event in Australia would be amazing. Logistically, if it were to happen I think you'd probably have to bite the bullet and do Sydney just because it's the same flight from Brisbane and Melbourne and a bearable drive from

Canberra.

Yeah there is no way I could have been able to make it to Worlds if we weren't supported!

Which just as a side note, is a cost I feel FFG should just probably take on. I understand flying in and putting up all the national champions isn't cheap, but I feel they would more than make that back from the indirect boost to communities that such a trip provides.

To the original topic I'm super happy this event has been made! Of all the regions to get a championship like this, Europe is by far and away the best given how many different nationalities will no doubt be represented. I was roomies with the Nordic X-Wing national champ at Worlds and he was a legend. It's great to know that guys like him will now have another big chance to make it to Worlds.

@Dras

Thanks for the love... of course, I'm fantastic!  Well, in your words, maybe I was fantastic...  LOL

You are Fantastic, Q...  What with your awesome breed of Positivity in what often seems like a clouded naysaying bunch of forum posts.

Keep being awesome.

Traditonally, the North American Championships are Held at GenCon.

The National Championships for The United States are basically going to be at a different place every year - or at least have the potentiial for it, so that has to be figured out year by year.

Especially going forward with the May Track Games.

Just to be a little bit of a troll:

Did FFG not get the memo that the UK won't be part of Europe anymore, or are they hosting it there as part of a last 'hurrah'?

(Yes, I know that 'Europe' is not the same as the European Union'. I also know that the UK will remain part of the European Union for a few more years as they engage in the withdrawal process.)

Whoop, worlds at a proper venue. The ICC in Birmingham was amazing for uk nationals. Its really good that they are going to hold a global tournament there.

Its at the NEC, not the ICC. It is also part of the Games Expo, and i go to that every year, so this is perfect  :D

Whoop, worlds at a proper venue. The ICC in Birmingham was amazing for uk nationals. Its really good that they are going to hold a global tournament there.

Its at the NEC, not the ICC. It is also part of the Games Expo, and i go to that every year, so this is perfect  :D

Too many **** acronyms in Birmingham. I shall boycott till the brummies sort themselves out. I give them a week till they crumble.

Did FFG not get the memo that the UK won't be part of Europe anymore, or are they hosting it there as part of a last 'hurrah'?

(Yes, I know that 'Europe' is not the same as the European Union'. I also know that the UK will remain part of the European Union for a few more years as they engage in the withdrawal process.)

A few years off that, so back under your bridge... Edited by Dedmanzhand

08d574654c83ab04bcd2c1245e3a18f976216d62

I have no regrets. :P

A few years off that, so back under your bridge...

See small print.

But while we're on the subject, does the Chunnel count as a troll habitat?

I literally may book accommodation now. I'm almost certainly going to go. If I go to Regionals here, I'm almost certainly going to have to skip Nationals as a result, but this is spaced enough apart that I could probably do it. My Regionals is probably going to be X-wing due to there not being any official talk of an Armada Regionals for Ireland yet (that I've seen, at least), so I'll possibly jump codes to Armada for Europeans.