Sign in to follow this  
CEOWolf

Essex County Express

So I read the newest Mythos pack for Dunwich Legacy cycle and that looks REALLY hard yikes! That'll be a rather difficult scene.. What do you guys think? Think even easy be really hard? I mean can't move till you 'beat' first car yikes...

What exactly seems problematic? You discover all clues on one location before moving to the next - that's how I've been playing the core set scenarios anyway...

Hah I left loads of clues undiscovered in Scenario 2. Didn't seem worth it to stop and get them all, especially as we were on the (Doom) clock.

Hah I left loads of clues undiscovered in Scenario 2. Didn't seem worth it to stop and get them all, especially as we were on the (Doom) clock.

Same here, although I guess it was a peculiarity of the second scenario, which actually made it harder to beat. Essex County Express will probably be more one-directional, and consequently easier. It's harder to make a mistake when all you do is move forward.

Depends on how easy moving forward is. If there are specific conditions to meet to enable you moving forward, and you have some sort of built-in timer, it could become rather difficult not having choices

Naturally, it all depends. I'm just surprised that the OP actually expects that scenario to be difficult due to it being straightforward. Also, you can see in the preview article that some train cars have 0 clues, some have 1 fixed (not scaling) clue, and well, yeah, some have 3 per investigator...

I thought the concept of the train sounded really really cool - especially that idea with randomly picking train cars and therefore having a different scenario each time. I am curious to see how many locations there are versus how many you pick. In any case. Very much looking forward to that one.

I still have only played scenario 1 so haven't been subjected to the hard ones... I will get to attack everything (including Rougarou and, hopefully, Dunwich) over Xmas/Newyears so maybe I will develop more fear about "real" scenarios... :)

Well I just thought it seemed.. Difficult just my opinion I never played game so what do I know? I really like Essex County set from the article just seems very easy to run into monsters and my fave classes are not too big on fighting...

Yeah, well I don't know well yet. I guess you will still be able to evade although I bet there are hunter enemies in that scenario so you will have to keep evading. But you can have the same issues in other scenarios where you want to advance and need to go to some places that enemies can hunt you down. I am guessing cards like the one that lets you move to any location that is revealed might not help much here.

Barricade! Use that Barricade!

hehe yeah! Nice. And open it when you drew backstab, or mind over matter or whatever your fav. killer card is.

I guess, a monster can still spawn in a barricaded place right? Or am I getting that card wrong?

Obscuring fog is a core set encounter card and most cycles use encounter cards only from their cycles and not the core set. This is based off of what happens in LOTR, but it may be different in Arkham since a lot of the core cards are more generic than the LOTR core.

Obscuring fog is a core set encounter card and most cycles use encounter cards only from their cycles and not the core set. This is based off of what happens in LOTR, but it may be different in Arkham since a lot of the core cards are more generic than the LOTR core.

I don't see any problem with some of the cards like 'discordant voices' etc being carried across, but some are clearly encounter specific. On top of that, fog on the train might just be a little TOO odd :P

I don't see any problem with some of the cards like 'discordant voices' etc being carried across, but some are clearly encounter specific. On top of that, fog on the train might just be a little TOO odd :P

hehe - well, if I recall Mountains of Madness correctly, the Shoggoth (or whatever that "train like thing" they see at the end was) can produce their own fog... So if something evil is hunting through the train - who knows what is possible ;)

Edited by ParinorB

I think scenes use their own cards plus a bunch of generics from base set at random.

I do not believe they will ever be random. They are not in the core set nor are they random in any cycle of LOTR. They tend to be thematic to what makes sense with the current Scenario or quest. In LOTR, after the first cycle, they never use the core set encounter cards again. Why don't they? Because the core cards are Dol Guldur Orcs and Mirkwood Spiders and other such baddies. Doesn't make a lot of sense to encounter them while you are voyaging on the Dreamcatcher during the 5th cycle. Similarly the Arkham core set doesn't use ghouls during the second scenario because ghouls aren't running around the city. In general the formula has been in LOTR and Arkham so far, 1 scenario specific set, a handful of generic encounter sets. In LOTR the generic sets come from the deluxe expansion for the current cycle, hence why the deluxe is required to play any smaller part of the cycle. It is unclear whether Arkham will pull generics from the Core set as the precedence isn't there, however they may use some of them as quite a few of the core cards are pretty generic, however I doubt they will in order to maintain encounter deck diversity and I hope they don't because of that stupid add 1 doom token card which is so punishing to multiplayer because it comes out so often with more players.

...however I doubt they will in order to maintain encounter deck diversity and I hope they don't because of that stupid add 1 doom token card which is so punishing to multiplayer because it comes out so often with more players.

You do know that Ancient Evils works the way it does to give the Agenda deck a chance when facing multiple players, yes? Each player added gives +3 actions (on average) on your side vs. +1 action (an encounter card drawn) to the Agenda.

Well, most things in the game scale linearly with the number of investigators: player actions, encounter cards drawn, clues available, clues needed to advance (though there are some marginal adjustments). How fast the agenda advances is about the only thing that doesn't scale. Ancient Evils compensates for that by coming up more frequently when there are more players.

On whether Core Set encounter sets will still be used, I'd guess so. A few are campaign-specific and probably won't (the ones named after the scenarios and the cult), but the others look pretty generic (and obviously, the basic weaknesses will be used for the foreseeable future).