Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Astech

What Happened to the Kihraxz?

144 posts in this topic

I've played and won a tournament with a list that used three Kihraxz fighters but I think they're trash for the most part and one of those ships you really have to want to play to make them work.  The dial isn't the problem, it's more their lack of beef and lack of strong, efficient attacks.  I'd rather make the point jump to get an ion hog or TLT hog.

Also, this type of ship just isn't really that good any more and doesn't offer any huge plus plays over other lists IMO.  You can win games with them, and some people have, but your advantages are mostly over other suboptimal lists.

THIS IS a perfect example of how ACE-WING is no longer X-WING in any current meta-wingers head.

I say this often and not to offend my Star Brahs here... believe it or not. REAL STAR WARS is available only in X-WING EPIC (& ARMADA).

If you are disgusted by X-Aces just try these other ways to play my friends.

:)

SlaveofChrist likes this

I've played and won a tournament with a list that used three Kihraxz fighters but I think they're trash for the most part and one of those ships you really have to want to play to make them work. The dial isn't the problem, it's more their lack of beef and lack of strong, efficient attacks. I'd rather make the point jump to get an ion hog or TLT hog.

Also, this type of ship just isn't really that good any more and doesn't offer any huge plus plays over other lists IMO. You can win games with them, and some people have, but your advantages are mostly over other suboptimal lists.

THIS IS a perfect example of how ACE-WING is no longer X-WING in any current meta-wingers head.

I say this often and not to offend my Star Brahs here... believe it or not. REAL STAR WARS is available only in X-WING EPIC (& ARMADA).

Hahahaha wow, ace wing rewards being good at this game: ship placement, movement, positioning, guessing and bluffing your opponent. Sorry it's not the joust wing of waves one and two. Even then Doug Kenny was beating jousting lists with Vader. X wing is Ace wing.

The K fighter was DOA because of poor and outdated game mechanic and meta assumptions at the time by the designers or just rank capitalism of putting two extremely powerful cards (crackshot and predator) in an underperforming ship pack.

Edited by buddyfett

Fearlessness and Vectored Thrusters really make Talonbane a worthwhile ship to fly. That doesn't really save the other pilots, but putting him together with other Scum ships with those updates makes him an important addition to the Scum arsenal. 

If they can find a way to increase the overall usefulness of the K in addition to the StarViper in a Scum Aces/Veterans package, all the better. 

SlaveofChrist likes this

I've played and won a tournament with a list that used three Kihraxz fighters but I think they're trash for the most part and one of those ships you really have to want to play to make them work. The dial isn't the problem, it's more their lack of beef and lack of strong, efficient attacks. I'd rather make the point jump to get an ion hog or TLT hog.

Also, this type of ship just isn't really that good any more and doesn't offer any huge plus plays over other lists IMO. You can win games with them, and some people have, but your advantages are mostly over other suboptimal lists.

Hahahaha wow, ace wing rewards being good at this game: ship placement, movement, positioning, guessing and bluffing your opponent. Sorry it's not the joust wing of waves one and two. Even then Doug Kenny was beating jousting lists with Vader. X wing is Ace wing.

The K fighter was DOA because of poor and outdated game mechanic and meta assumptions at the time by the designers or just rank capitalism of putting two extremely powerful cards (crackshot and predator) in an underperforming ship pack.

I disagree with Joe Boss on **** near everything about this game and while I think his ranting about Ace-Wing is a little over the top, you couldn't be more wrong with the statement "ace wing rewards being good at this game: ship placement, movement, positioning, guessing and bluffing your opponent".

Ace-Wing provides a safety net. It bails you out when you didn't out-maneuver, out-guess, or out-bluff your opponent either by allowing you to boost and barrel-roll out of arc after seeing where everyone has moved or allowing you to stack mitigation high enough that your ship can make it through a blunder without getting destroyed. 

Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

So er..... Kihraxz with Scavenger Cranes, Dead Eye, Guidance Chips and Missiles?

If I'm right you can Alpha strike and then everyone can rearm as long as they are within range 1-2  of the ship you decide to blow out of the air?

Triple jumpmasters worked because the jumpmasters were beefy enough to take fire.  These are not.

So er..... Kihraxz with Scavenger Cranes, Dead Eye, Guidance Chips and Missiles?

If I'm right you can Alpha strike and then everyone can rearm as long as they are within range 1-2  of the ship you decide to blow out of the air?

Correct. It's....probably not as good as extra munitions in that only one ship benefits per kill, and they specifically have to get the kill, but its a good use for the illicit slot on a missile bus - either Khiraxz or Z-95. 

I'd probably look at using it on the Z-95, though because with lower firepower the Z-95 is more about the oh dear holy bloody god N'Dru Suhlak can get multiple cluster missile shots sorry I kind of lost my train of thought there.

Edited by Magnus Grendel
Burius1981 and Ob3ron like this

Correct. It's....probably not as good as extra munitions in that only one ship benefits per kill, and they specifically have to get the kill, but its a good use for the illicit slot on a missile bus - either Khiraxz or Z-95. 

I'd probably look at using it on the Z-95, though because with lower firepower the Z-95 is more about the oh dear holy bloody god N'Dru Suhlak can get multiple cluster missile shots sorry I kind of lost my train of thought there.

Read it again Grendel

swx61-scavenger-crane.png

Just needs a ship at range 1-2 of it to be destroyed, and nothing says multiple ships can't trigger off a single death.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind
WWHSD, Ob3ron and Budgernaut like this

Whoah! That looks useful. When was that revealed?

Never mind, I just saw the topic below this one.

Edited by Cactus

Read it again Grendel

Just needs a ship at range 1-2 of it to be destroyed, and nothing says multiple ships can't trigger off a single death.

YEP!   So.....get 3 Kihraxz Fighters with Deadeye, GC, Crane, and Homing Missiles all firing at the same target.  As long as it dies that turn, they can all get their missiles back!  Man....that is going to be brutal!  

Oh, I think the Kihraxz Fighter just made a comeback.    Yes, it works on Z-95's as well, but it's easier to kill them and you can get mid PS Kihraxz's with Deadeye. 

Read it again Grendel

YEP!   So.....get 3 Kihraxz Fighters with Deadeye, GC, Crane, and Homing Missiles all firing at the same target.  As long as it dies that turn, they can all get their missiles back!  Man....that is going to be brutal!  

Oh, I think the Kihraxz Fighter just made a comeback.    Yes, it works on Z-95's as well, but it's easier to kill them and you can get mid PS Kihraxz's with Deadeye. 

It doesn't need to be an enemy ship dying to trigger the claw. If your three Khiraxz's fire their homing missiles and don't kill anything, the two that survive will get a refill before getting a second shot when the one your higher PS opponent has been focusing, dies.  

Scavenger Crane really fits with my desire to make the Kihraxz a unique missile and illicit platform. I'm still hoping for a similar effect for illicits though. Must have to wait for an Aces pack, but I'm glad to see a mechanic like this being added t the game.

The other interesting option for this kind of build is take a Quad in the mix, with Targeting Synchronizer and Long Range Scanner. Get an early Target lock with the Quad, then use it so all the Ks in your squad can take a missile shot without using a TL.

You could also fly your Quad in and Tractor your target. So your missiles are more likely to hit.

And you wouldn't necessarily need Dead Eye, which gives you the option of Atanni Mindlink.

Force Majeure likes this

The other interesting option for this kind of build is take a Quad in the mix, with Targeting Synchronizer and Long Range Scanner. Get an early Target lock with the Quad, then use it so all the Ks in your squad can take a missile shot without using a TL.

You could also fly your Quad in and Tractor your target. So your missiles are more likely to hit.

And you wouldn't necessarily need Dead Eye, which gives you the option of Atanni Mindlink.

The Quadjumper can't take LRS. It doesn't have a Missile or a Torpedo slot and you need both of them to take LRS.

A cheap ship with a missile, torpedo, and tech slot will make an excellent target painter.

Ob3ron likes this

Read it again Grendel

HELLO BABY!

60SA.gif _heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif 

Ghostly_Skull.gifOH THE BLACK HORRIBLE GLORY!!!Ghostly_Skull.gif

SCUM%2BBS%2BKERAXE.png     

SCUM%2BBS%2BFS31.PNG                  

SCUM%2BBS%2BKERAXE.png

heychadwick and SlaveofChrist like this

The Quadjumper can't take LRS. It doesn't have a Missile or a Torpedo slot and you need both of them to take LRS.

A cheap ship with a missile, torpedo, and tech slot will make an excellent target painter.

What a shame, it would have been awesome, it doesn't have a target lock either, so you would have to use Manaroo to hand it TLs for the Targeting Synchronizer so that would be really silly.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

What a shame, it would have been awesome, it doesn't have a target lock either, so you would have to use Manaroo to hand it TLs for the Targeting Synchronizer so that would be really silly.

Not every things has to be obti-malls.

:lol:

But if you are taking Manaroo and a Quad there is hardly any room for Kihraxzyxyxyazyayxyayzyayyyzyxyxyyyayzyyxyyydxyayyzyxyaysydyayyyyyyzy...

Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

But if you are taking Manaroo and a Quad there is hardly any room for Kihraxzyxyxyazyayxyayzyayyyzyxyxyyyayzyyxyyydxyayyzyxyaysydyayyyyyyzy...

cursing.gif

DAM-A-ROO!!!

Ob3ron likes this

Fearlessness and Vectored Thrusters really make Talonbane a worthwhile ship to fly. That doesn't really save the other pilots, but putting him together with other Scum ships with those updates makes him an important addition to the Scum arsenal. 

Great, but do you know what's batter than Talonbane and 1 point less? Fenn Rau with Fearlessness and Protector title. He does the same thing, but on defense as well.

The scavenging crane really makes the Kihraxz better as an ordnance carrier.

Black Sun Ace (31) - A fantastic ordnance carrier, provided you can kill your target. I can see this ruining swarms, but being hopeless against Ghosts.

Homing Missile

Scavenging Crane

Deadeye

Guidance Chips

However, I believe the Z-95 benefits from the Scavenging Crane more:

N'Dru Suhlak (24) - If anyone can get a one-hit kill, its Fearlessness N'Dru.

Cluster Missiles

Scavenging Crane

Fearlessness

Guidance Chips

Fearlessness and Vectored Thrusters really make Talonbane a worthwhile ship to fly. That doesn't really save the other pilots, but putting him together with other Scum ships with those updates makes him an important addition to the Scum arsenal. 

Great, but do you know what's batter than Talonbane and 1 point less? Fenn Rau with Fearlessness and Protector title. He does the same thing, but on defense as well.

The scavenging crane really makes the Kihraxz better as an ordnance carrier.

Black Sun Ace (31) - A fantastic ordnance carrier, provided you can kill your target. I can see this ruining swarms, but being hopeless against Ghosts.

Homing Missile

Scavenging Crane

Deadeye

Guidance Chips

However, I believe the Z-95 benefits from the Scavenging Crane more:

N'Dru Suhlak (24) - If anyone can get a one-hit kill, its Fearlessness N'Dru.

Cluster Missiles

Scavenging Crane

Fearlessness

Guidance Chips

I won't disagree that I think Fenn is, on balance, better, but there are some genuine differences.

Fenn generally wants Concord Dawn Protector, Autothrusters and Push The Limit (because that allows for boost/barrel roll shenanigans, and any loss of damage from fearlessness is going to be made up for by having a 'spare' action to target lock).

Talonbane, if he's going to be a 'dogfighter', wants vectored thrusters and cloaking device, because that lets him do stuff that Fenn Rau can't (like an effective "speed 8 koiogran turn"). He doesn't really have the dial to support Push The Limit, and Fearlessness isn't so great a plan on a ship which isn't as tough as a Concord Dawn Fenn Rau in a face-off. I'd probably rather pack Predator, so you can barrel roll at will and still get dice modifiers.

N'Dru is good, but I think the main advantage for a Khiraxz pack is that you're not required to one-shot your target. The ship that dies doesn't have to be one you shot at, or even an enemy ship, nor is there a limit to the number of ships who 're-arm' from each kill.

A pack of 3 Black Sun Ace missile carriers can all reload their missiles whenever one of them gets a kill (in range 2-3), or whenever one of them dies - so even against a putative one-ship build, you'll still get mileage out of the scavenger claw, because the first time you lose a ship, the other two get a second missile volley.

Ob3ron likes this