Sign in to follow this  
Meynolt

My fellow TOs, I need some advice here !

We have been playing an alternative format as pick up games at our store for fun and speed. We call it duel of the Aces. each player builds one Unique pilot to not exceed 45 SP and we go at it on a 2'x2' mat. I have over 30 players in our league. They all love the format because most rounds end in under 30 minutes (actually closer to 20). Guys can usually get in two matches on a lunch break! Anyhow, they have been asking me to run a Saturday tournament with this format. The problem I am having is what to do about pairing. MOV obviously will not work. Any suggestions?

First off, MOV is no longer used for pairings, except for making the cut. 

Round 1 is random pairings. 

Round 2 you match, randomly, each winner (1 point).  If there is an odd number of winners, then the odd man out will play someone who lost.  Then randomly match all losers.

Round 3 you match, randomly all 2 point, then 1 point, then 0 point.  Again, pair down any odd man outs.

And so on.....

There is no need to do something special.....

NOW, as far as a game that does go to time, do a final salvo like normal.

Thank you. Talking with the players this is very similar to what we came up with. However, I think we were over complicating it (committee think tank ya' know). This simplifies it big time.

You could also extend the big ship MOV rule to little ships if you really wanted... but if you just run enough rounds you'll end up with one x-0 winner anyway.  

8 people:  3 rounds

9-16:  4 rounds

17-32:  5 rounds

Run one less round if you're going to have a cut, and cut to the top 25% ish.

You can also use something like Cryodex to run pairings and that will also keep track of your 2nd tiebreaker:  Strength of Schedule.  You can even put in custom round point values (I've done it with many different formats, sometimes mine look like 59,59,100,100,300).  

Edited by jonnyd