Jump to content
heychadwick

Mario Kart X-wing

Recommended Posts

What are mariokart players thoughts on the following rule:

Ships activate from first place to last place, not by pilot skill. At the start of combat, any ship overlapping another ship of lower PS mayassign a tractor token to the lower PS ship. (Highest PS places first if it matters)

So high PS becomes a heavyweight kart, bumping other ships out of the way, but pay points for the privilage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xwing Mario Kart variation

Win condition: follow the course and cross the finish line first.

If you run out of health, on your next movement, gain a stress and do not move, even if you were ionized. At the start of the turn after, restore your hull and shields, and place your dial normally.

If you overlap a wall, your ship is bumped back to when it first contacts the wall, and rolls for collision as if hitting an asteroid. Then you may rotate your ship up to *approx* 45 degrees. Walls block shots.

If you overlap an item box, roll an attack die and consult the “1st place” “Contender”, or “Last place” cards. Item box Homing missiles can be fired without target locks. Item box Adaptive Aerolons stacks with the actual upgrade card on the tie striker.

http://imgur.com/BtOR9lW

http://imgur.com/HwerJpI

http://imgur.com/6SeALJT

Course hazard effects (including turrets) depend on the course designer.

Ships may be up to 24 points. SLAM action may not be performed in this format. Lone Wolf is discouraged, but probably not OP.

??Ships activate from first place to last place. When a ship with a higher pilot skill bumps into a ship with a lower pilot skill, you may tractor them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Wow...it is necro'ed.   We are running at GenCon again this year, too.

Over the past few years, I have gathered various flavors of rules and cards for this X-Wing Variant.  I would appreciate it if you would provide a link to the rules and cards you will be using at GenCon.  Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, any2cards said:

Over the past few years, I have gathered various flavors of rules and cards for this X-Wing Variant.  I would appreciate it if you would provide a link to the rules and cards you will be using at GenCon.  Thanks in advance.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6btdl28vRrrX3JncFlrZTFCWWM

 

Of course, we are going to start play testing things again.  Might tweak, but always keep there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, heychadwick said:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6btdl28vRrrX3JncFlrZTFCWWM

 

Of course, we are going to start play testing things again.  Might tweak, but always keep there.

I never did get feedback about the "first place moves first, pilot skill is driver weight" variant. (it's still on this page, even!) It's a rule borrowed from racing games like Formula D to reduce car interference, combined with an aspect of mario kart that hasnt been touched on yet, shoving smaller kerts out of your way with sheer mass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

I never did get feedback about the "first place moves first, pilot skill is driver weight" variant. (it's still on this page, even!) It's a rule borrowed from racing games like Formula D to reduce car interference, combined with an aspect of mario kart that hasnt been touched on yet, shoving smaller kerts out of your way with sheer mass.

Say like if you're Han Solo and there's a TIE Fighter nearby...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

I never did get feedback about the "first place moves first, pilot skill is driver weight" variant. (it's still on this page, even!) It's a rule borrowed from racing games like Formula D to reduce car interference, combined with an aspect of mario kart that hasnt been touched on yet, shoving smaller kerts out of your way with sheer mass.

I don't even remember what rules we used.  I haven't played since GenCon 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Wedge Nantillais said:

What about X-Wing Mario Kart in 2.0 ?

I'm planning on updating my pre-built Mario Kart ships to 2.0 in February ready for use at my local games store (a very common pick-up/support event at our local store to support launch nights)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Surak said:

I'm planning on updating my pre-built Mario Kart ships to 2.0 in February ready for use at my local games store (a very common pick-up/support event at our local store to support launch nights)

I'm curious to see what rules people are using for Mario Kart under 2.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, drail14me said:

I'm curious to see what rules people are using for Mario Kart under 2.0.

 

17 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

J-bot isnt running it this summer at GenCon.  We have not updated our rules.  :(

We didn't really mess with the core rules too much, so we are good to go once I've updated the builds.

We used to use 40pts and small base only, I'm thinking 80pts and allowing medium bases could be fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Surak said:

 

We didn't really mess with the core rules too much, so we are good to go once I've updated the builds.

We used to use 40pts and small base only, I'm thinking 80pts and allowing medium bases could be fun

Let me know how it goes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Surak said:

 

We didn't really mess with the core rules too much, so we are good to go once I've updated the builds.

We used to use 40pts and small base only, I'm thinking 80pts and allowing medium bases could be fun

I'd really like to see what all y'all put together. We tried it recently with everyone using a naked A-Wing. It just wasn't that fun without the variety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Let me know how it goes!

 

6 hours ago, drail14me said:

I'd really like to see what all y'all put together. We tried it recently with everyone using a naked A-Wing. It just wasn't that fun without the variety.

Ok I'll post a few of the builds here as I go, and will also report back on any test races that occur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We ran an 8 person Mario Kart with these rules, which had been adapted from @heychadwick, u/AyBB8, u/DieMilkweedu/BeerSmurf, u/Merman_Pops and others. The board looked like this:

497968572_BeFunky-photo(2).jpg.844f2917ce5b0e52cea387b0f2ef5a7c.jpg

It was fun, but too many people. We also just ran generics, with no ship abilities and no upgrades. In the race was: Rebel A-wing, Attack Shuttle, TIE/LN (x2), TIE/FO, M3A, Z-95 and a T-65. In addition, we also bumped everyone's health to equal 8 Agility/Hull/Shield (e.g. Z-95 has 2/2/2, so we increased it to 2/2/4; Tie/LN has 3/3/0, increased to 3/3/2.) The thought was trying to get everyone on an even playing field. It kinda worked? The game took about 2.5 hours to make one lap. We did have 2 newbies playing with us. One ship got way out in front early on, but ended up hitting a wall and then getting shot down a few times; it ended up taking third. If anything I would have more checkpoints - seems like people died alot! And the crates that you could pick up didn't get nearly enough use.

 

Edited by schdarr
Removed unnecessary link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Too many people makes it bog down.  Too many people die and such.  We limited it to 4 per race and no shooting until passing the first checkpoint. 

Agreed on 4. That was the biggest change that we would make. We also did the no shooting the first two turns, which ended up being ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...