heychadwick

Mario Kart X-wing

10 hours ago, TheTechWookiee said:

I think I just found the next thing for us to try. 

Let us know how it goes!   Personally, I suggest J-bots "Diamond Track".  It looks simple, but it's pretty good.

21 hours ago, drathbun said:

Success!

Thank you so much. I will look for the update later tonight, but thanks for the extra effort. 

How did it go?

57 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Let us know how it goes!   Personally, I suggest J-bots "Diamond Track".  It looks simple, but it's pretty good.

I recommend old Warhammer scenery, electrical tape, maps of Mario kart tracks, and some imagination :)

On 4/27/2017 at 8:57 AM, heychadwick said:

How did it go?

On 4/27/2017 at 10:01 AM, Surak said:

I recommend old Warhammer scenery, electrical tape, maps of Mario kart tracks, and some imagination :)

I'd say the obvious choice here is Rainbow Road...

11 hours ago, TheTechWookiee said:

I'd say the obvious choice here is Rainbow Road...

funny enough, that was our first thought too, unfortunately its a bit too much to fit on a 3x3 table, I am considering it for a 6x3 track layout in the future though

On 4/29/2017 at 7:52 AM, Surak said:

funny enough, that was our first thought too, unfortunately its a bit too much to fit on a 3x3 table, I am considering it for a 6x3 track layout in the future though

Just looking at the first iteration of Rainbow Road (SNES), a direct port would be closer to 6'x6', assuming it's a narrow track (approx. 4"/1 range increment). Could probably truncate it to a 4'x4' without losing the feel of it. I want to try the Wii version of the track. Don't know why, but I do. Might be a little crazy...

11 hours ago, Sior said:

Just looking at the first iteration of Rainbow Road (SNES), a direct port would be closer to 6'x6', assuming it's a narrow track (approx. 4"/1 range increment). Could probably truncate it to a 4'x4' without losing the feel of it. I want to try the Wii version of the track. Don't know why, but I do. Might be a little crazy...

Yeh most versions of rainbow road would require a small amount of crazy - we tried to stick with the N64 versions of the tracks to get a balance between awesome and playability on the table

On 5/22/2017 at 11:51 AM, heychadwick said:

Rainbow Bridge would take forever to finish as everyone would be falling off and starting over.    We found anything to streamline the game ending sooner is a good thing.   Otherwise, it tends to drag on.

That makes plenty of sense. Though I think this is a lesson I will have to suffer through myself ;-)

So we finally (after several fits and starts) got to play some Mario Wing at our FLGS tonight. We had several questions that I hope those who have run this more frequently can answer.

I created two different tracks for our crews to try out. One of the rules says if your template overlaps a wall you get stressed and lose your action. Another rule says if your base ends up outside the track (goes completely over a wall) your ship is destroyed. So we have some picky rules people (Ha) that wanted to know when does a template stop overlapping a wall and become going through a wall instead?

For example, suppose I have a straight path with a 90 degree turn. As I approach the corner, I dial in a 3 hard right. There are five scenarios.

One, my template clears the corner. I think I'm fine here.

Two, about half of my template clips the corner but my ship ends up in the clear on the other side. This counts as overlapping a wall and I would be stressed and lose my action, right?

Three, my entire template goes through the wall and comes out on the other side. Does my ship fly through the wall, ending up in the clear stressed and actionless? Or is it destroyed because it left the game area and came back? The discussion for this brought up the similar situation from a standard dogfight, where your template is allowed to completely leave the 3x3 field as long as your ship comes back. The problem with this is, if you have narrow walls, there's nothing to prevent someone from simply flying through them as long as they come out on the other side.

Fourth situation: my template nicks the wall and my ship comes out on the other side but the base is left overlapping the wall. In this case, I'm stressed, actionless, and I take a damage, right?

Fifth situation: my template goes through a wall (similar to situation three) and my ship ends up partially overlapping the wall on the other side. In a 3x3 playing field, if any part of the ship is off the mat, you're destroyed. But in the rules here, it says if the ship is completely off the field of play it's destroyed, so it seems I can fly through a wall as long as I come out the other side.

We're going to run Mario Kart as a tournament, so it's important for me to have a firm grasp on these rules.

My suggestion was that if at any point the ship base is completely over a wall, you are blocked by the wall and bounce back. You take damage, are stressed, and lose your action. That keeps folks from trying to shortcut a track by flying through the wall.

Hopefully there's a simple clarification. Looking forward to the responses!

As an aside, our tracks were way too long. We played for several hours and barely finished one lap. I am going to be making them wider and shorter but with more obstacles to reward fancy flying.

As a second aside, I had a blast flying the Special Forces TIE. Being able to shoot both ways from a small-based 24 point ship was pretty fun!

On 2017-2-23 at 1:36 PM, heychadwick said:

Pictures or it didn't happen!

So, I've been asked by my FLAGS to run a Mario Kart session as part of their wh40k 8th edition launch night on Friday - the event is a pickup-and-play with me supplying all of the ships from my collection, so now I need to come up with about 20 builds that are new-player friendly AND balanced for racing. I have pretty much all of the non-epic expansions (I have the rebel transport, the gozanti, and the C-Roc)

So internet-hive-mind I need your help! Build suggestions wanted as this is something of short notice :)

And the track we have picked is........ Bowser's Castle from our Star Trek event

1 hour ago, Surak said:

So, I've been asked by my FLAGS to run a Mario Kart session as part of their wh40k 8th edition launch night on Friday - the event is a pickup-and-play with me supplying all of the ships from my collection, so now I need to come up with about 20 builds that are new-player friendly AND balanced for racing. I have pretty much all of the non-epic expansions (I have the rebel transport, the gozanti, and the C-Roc)

So internet-hive-mind I need your help! Build suggestions wanted as this is something of short notice :)

And the track we have picked is........ Bowser's Castle from our Star Trek event

I would try different classes of ships and multiple races. For example a high speed class like ships with good dials and boost (A wing, Tie Interceptor,  protectorate, T-70) and medium like X wings, Tie F/o, khirax, and slow (y wing, quad jumper, Arc-170 etc  )

Also any more than 4 racers and it gets bogged down. 

Edited by Merman

I see a lot of people saying their races take too long. I've made some rule tweaks that really speed things up. 

1. All maneuvers are like SLAM but without weapons disabled. It adds a different dynamic and makes you plan turns. 

2. Ban Ion weapons. 

3. Reduce the bannans or change them to stress instead of Ion 

4. No shooting. The only damage comes from the mystery item boxes. If you do this add more shells. 

5. Keep the race to 4 or less players. If you need to do more use teams. 

Edited by Merman

12 minutes ago, Merman said:

I would try different classes of ships and multiple races. For example a high speed class like ships with good dials and boost (A wing, Tie Interceptor,  protectorate, T-70) and medium like X wings, Tie F/o, khirax, and slow y wing, quad jumper etc  

Also any more than 4 racers and it gets bogged down. 

unfortunately the FLGS wants me to have one table and upto 8 players (with my running the game rather than playing) - we've had 6 players for the Attack Wing version, and with me hurrying things along we just about managed an acceptable turn speed.

that being said, i like the idea of the builds aimed at classes of racer - so going with the classic Mario kart we have light, medium, and heavy racers to start with

1 hour ago, Surak said:

unfortunately the FLGS wants me to have one table and upto 8 players (with my running the game rather than playing) - we've had 6 players for the Attack Wing version, and with me hurrying things along we just about managed an acceptable turn speed.

that being said, i like the idea of the builds aimed at classes of racer - so going with the classic Mario kart we have light, medium, and heavy racers to start with

If that's the case maybe have two races going simultaneously on the same map with two different starting lines. Or try teams which adds a  different dynamic and speeds things up a bit. 

Edited by Merman

Well, for GenCon, we are running 3 different classes of ships.   

Stock = Everyone gets the same ship.  We are thinking of using either Z-95's or Scyks.   You can configure them lots of different ways.   If it's just your ships, maybe you have 4 Scyks and 4 Z-95's?   

Modified = 24 pts of whatever you can take, but no SLAM or Phantoms.  

Open = 40 pts of anything, except Phantoms.  Everything else is game.   Try to do a build for each ship that you have and that should fill out a lot!

1 hour ago, Surak said:

Avoid the Kwing. It has the survivability of a heavy racer and the speed and maneuverability of a light racer- not being able to shoot is par for the course when you're in the lead.

I think the Bwing with a houseruled slotless Primed Thrusters tech has potential as a heavy ship- it gets stress resistance and lots of health, but not an infinite amount, and all it's best moves are red.

T70s and Awings for the medium and light rebels

Starviper with Bank barrel rolls, loaded Khirazx vaskais, Fang fighters for heavy, med and light scum.

PTL Intercepter with autothrusters, Tie Defender with no title, and Tie Punisher with  lightweight frame and electronic baffle or colission detector

On 6/1/2017 at 1:11 AM, drathbun said:

So we finally (after several fits and starts) got to play some Mario Wing at our FLGS tonight. We had several questions that I hope those who have run this more frequently can answer.

My suggestion was that if at any point the ship base is completely over a wall, you are blocked by the wall and bounce back. You take damage, are stressed, and lose your action. That keeps folks from trying to shortcut a track by flying through the wall.

Hopefully there's a simple clarification. Looking forward to the responses!

As an aside, our tracks were way too long. We played for several hours and barely finished one lap. I am going to be making them wider and shorter but with more obstacles to reward fancy flying.

As a second aside, I had a blast flying the Special Forces TIE. Being able to shoot both ways from a small-based 24 point ship was pretty fun!

Without delving into each of your scenarios, I'll say this: Mario Kart X-Wing is different for everyone. I don't think anyone here is using exactly the same rules as anyone else. And that's OK. Some folks want a more Mario Kart experience, so they make everything about speed and downplay (or even disallow) shooting. Some want X-Wing on a track. As for me and my play group, I've tried to make as much of a hybrid as I can: it's a race with Mario Kart influences and items, but I tried to alter as few X-Wing rules as possible.

If you want to play with taking damage, stress, and losing your action, then go for it! That sounds reasonable to me (just make sure they have some way to clear the wall on their next move, or they'll be bumping until they explode). Under no circumstances should you allow flying THROUGH a wall to make your own shortcut (kinda defeats the purpose of having a track, doesn't it?). Shooting through walls, on the other hand, should not only be allowed but encouraged (sometimes it's the only way to stop someone who gets out front).

Shortening, widening, and adding obstacles tot he track also sounds like a good move. Our main track is pretty decent, but even with 3-4 people it takes an hour or more to complete one lap. And yeah, the TIE/sf is a pretty good ship for Mario Kart!

5 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Stock = Everyone gets the same ship.  We are thinking of using either Z-95's or Scyks.   You can configure them lots of different ways.   If it's just your ships, maybe you have 4 Scyks and 4 Z-95's?   

Open = 40 pts of anything, except Phantoms.  Everything else is game.   Try to do a build for each ship that you have and that should fill out a lot!

We got lots of tickets still available for our 6 sessions of Mario Kart at Gen Con.  All sessions will take place on Friday, three morning sessions and three evening sessions.

https://www.gencon.com/events/109155

https://www.gencon.com/events/109158

https://www.gencon.com/events/109157

https://www.gencon.com/events/109161

https://www.gencon.com/events/109150

https://www.gencon.com/events/109159  

I am signed up for the first one at 8am on Friday! Outside of some Heroscape events I have scheduled, this is the thing I'm looking forward to most. Too much is made of the meta-listing, 100/6 only, nerfing-nerf nerfers, and cheaty cheatersons  that this seems like sooo much fun. We tried it the other night and I blew up 3 times and my son just eked me out of a win.  

I applaud the creativity of this whole endeavor and look forward to meeting, seeing, and playing against some of you guys in August. 

Edited by rym

10 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Have you thought about Vaskai Khirazxes as the "Stock" class? :P

19 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Have you thought about Vaskai Khirazxes as the "Stock" class? :P

i certainly am now :)

I'm really tempted to do X-wing vs Khiraxz vs ....um....um.....something imperial!

entertainingly i might actually have enough y-wings for an entire 8-player grid

4 minutes ago, Surak said:

i certainly am now :)

I'm really tempted to do X-wing vs Khiraxz vs ....um....um.....something imperial!

entertainingly i might actually have enough y-wings for an entire 8-player grid

Dont knock Colision Detector or Electronic baffle Advances, they dont care about obsticals/ion effects.

Has anyone played BoShek in Mario Kart X Wing?

Scimitar with BoShek, Mara Jade, and Lightweight Frame is only 23 points....

*Edit - I just gave myself a chuckle thinking about running ships with dead man's switches...

Edited by Gersun

1 hour ago, Rakaydos said:

Dont knock Colision Detector or Electronic baffle Advances, they dont care about obsticals/ion effects.

interesting idea, shame i only have 1 Advance

1 hour ago, Gersun said:

Has anyone played BoShek in Mario Kart X Wing?

Scimitar with BoShek, Mara Jade, and Lightweight Frame is only 23 points....

*Edit - I just gave myself a chuckle thinking about running ships with dead man's switches...

now that sounds like some interesting ideas, time to start putting some builds together 

so here is what I'm thinking (taking the general format from my Attack Wing event, and a few ideas above)

I'm going to go with an Open Class event (40pts, no Phantoms, no SLAM)- players will random-draw their ships at the start of the race,

generic ships will re-spawn on death (shooting is allowed) but unique pilots are out of that race once shot down and the player draws another ship.

re-spawning is 1 full range ruler behind where you died (as best we can measure at least), if a ship gets stuck in a corner the player may forfit their turn and voluntarly re-spawn

the track is marked in electrical tape (so we don't damage the paint) the tape itself counts as an asteroid but you cannot completely cross the tape (you stop as if you overlapped a ship)

if we get more than 4 players I'll have half the grid going clockwise and half going anticlockwise :)

I'll post up some builds for comments, but I'd appreciate ideas from you guys