Sign in to follow this  
Rodent Mastermind

Getting bored of Eyeballs.

OTOH, in terms of starfighters, I am reading Lords of the Sith.  Vader and his goons are flying V-Wings against the Free Ryloth Movement.  Imperial Refit, anyone??

Ironically the Arc-170 was historically used more by the Imperials than the Rebels during the Civil War era... Though I can totally understand why the Rebels got it, it is the predecessor to the X-Wing and fits there aesthetic better.

But who can say this doesn't look awesome. 

ARC-170.jpg

OTOH, in terms of starfighters, I am reading Lords of the Sith.  Vader and his goons are flying V-Wings against the Free Ryloth Movement.  Imperial Refit, anyone??

Ironically the Arc-170 was historically used more by the Imperials than the Rebels during the Civil War era... Though I can totally understand why the Rebels got it, it is the predecessor to the X-Wing and fits there aesthetic better.

But who can say this doesn't look awesome. 

utter fools is who

but the ARC was given to rebels because it resembles the love child of an x-wing and snowspeeder

14682196_10157564272815142_5879910758174

Edited by ficklegreendice

To this day, it still tickles me every time I get to deploy 7-8 TIE Fighters on the board. It just never gets old. All the other TIE variants (TIE Defender, TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, etc.) are ships I grew up with. The aesthetic is part of the Empire and a big piece of why it's fun to fly with or against those ships.

That's not to say I wouldn't take a Gunboat. That would be awesome and just as nostalgic. But let's go ahead and let sleeping Missileboats lie.

I know they look all regimented and all, and they are obviously Imperial...But is anyone else getting bored of 100s of fighters that are all the same cockpit with slightly different wings. Do any of you yearn for a couple of small ships that don't look like someone made a mistake at the Tie factory and stuck the wings on wrong?

(also as someone that paints, you know when a new wave comes out and you have to paint the same old cockpit, with similar wings, you can't really get very creative.)

emubhpa.png

Not mine.

I know they look all regimented and all, and they are obviously Imperial...But is anyone else getting bored of 100s of fighters that are all the same cockpit with slightly different wings. Do any of you yearn for a couple of small ships that don't look like someone made a mistake at the Tie factory and stuck the wings on wrong?

(also as someone that paints, you know when a new wave comes out and you have to paint the same old cockpit, with similar wings, you can't really get very creative.)

May I interest you in a gunboat?

Gunboats and Chiss Clawcraft alleviate that. Another would be the Invid Clutches and the Gand Starfighter modified TIE Bombers.

While I would like the Chiss Clawcraft in the game, it's really just an Art Deco Eyeball.

It is, but it's still supperior to the majority of TIE designs barring the Defender. It's also more original than pointy flapper Stryker or Fanboy Order gunpod.

TIE Scout? You mean the TIE Mobile Home?

Not sure I get the reference.

In any event, I mean the ship created for Decipher's extinct CCG.

I believe he's referring to how the Scout looks like a bus with solar panels.

Eaw_tie-scout.jpg

It has a moderate crew for its size, and fits more of the prolongued exploration than reconnaissance you get with the TIE Fire Control or Vanguards.

I agree with the OP. I am kinda tired of the ball cockpit with whatever wings. I was really disappointed in The Force Awakens in the ship design department. More of the same. We could have used something new and different. We can for Xwing definitely. That said, I would really like some Tie Droids. Just because I like the way they look and they could introduce some cool "droidy" game mechanics.

Edited by JJFDVORAK

I agree with the OP. I am kinda tired of the ball cockpit with whatever wings. I was really disappointed in The Force Awakens in the ship design department. More of the same. We could have used something new and different. We can for Xwing definitely. That said, I would really like some Tie Droids. Just because I like the way they look and they could introduce some cool "droidy" game mechanics.

I actually agree with the Tie Droid. It actually looks different enough to be interesting, it even doesn't have the same Eye, it's more like a targeting reticle... Also I think they could be really interesting. I would probably give them a similar dial to the Aggressor, but make them really fragile, and maybe not give them a focus as they are not pilots but drones.

tie_droid5.jpg

The other one that I quite like is the Tie Predator... That again is different enough to not feel too samey.

predator1.jpg

Hahah. That's actually how a character of mine uses his TIE Striker. 34ABY timeline, all the stuff that made it a TIE Scout was stripped and he got it at a discount price because, "Nobody wanted an Imperial ship that wasn't even good at being an Imperial ship."

Breaks orbit, has its own atmosphere and it's got a laser cannon. Alongside copious storage. What else could a freelance junk salesman ask for?

emubhpa.png

Not mine.

Now THAT's an eyeball!!

I'm not bored of the TIE design one bit. I'll gladly take more TIE variants for starfighters to keep the Empire still look and feel like the Empire. Uniformity is the imperial way.

But I'm not Imperial, I just play one on weekends. . .

predator1.jpg

Proof that you can only take the Eyeball With Wings concept so far.  That things is uglier than an EU Ugly (and a boring design).

OTOH, I would agree that the TIE Droid would be interesting in that X-Wing could introduce fun mechanics for droid-brain controlled ships.

Hahah. That's actually how a character of mine uses his TIE Striker. 34ABY timeline, all the stuff that made it a TIE Scout was stripped and he got it at a discount price because, "Nobody wanted an Imperial ship that wasn't even good at being an Imperial ship."

Breaks orbit, has its own atmosphere and it's got a laser cannon. Alongside copious storage. What else could a freelance junk salesman ask for?

Cool. I assume this is for an rpg, are you playing Edge of the Empire?