Sign in to follow this  
Rodent Mastermind

Getting bored of Eyeballs.

I know they look all regimented and all, and they are obviously Imperial...

But is anyone else getting bored of 100s of fighters that are all the same cockpit with slightly different wings. Do any of you yearn for a couple of small ships that don't look like someone made a mistake at the Tie factory and stuck the wings on wrong?

(also as someone that paints, you know when a new wave comes out and you have to paint the same old cockpit, with similar wings, you can't really get very creative.)

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

Perhaps you think an armada that spans a whole galaxy, and that in the past (the Republic) mixed and merged lots of manufacturers and different kinds of ships, would have much more variety of starfighters fighters and that effectiveness or pragmatism would prime over any other factor.

In that case, you would be very wrong, sir!

The Empire is a cartoon gang with a cartoon villain. And you know that all minions of a villain dress the same and go around in vehicles that look the same.

And that is because the most important aspects for a cartoon villain is to have an army of mooks that can be easily spotted and recognized.

You know, marketing and sales of merchandising can fund an empire of evil better than any realistic and effective military organization could. Ask Disney. 

The Empire isn't run by technocrats, admirals or strategists. It is run by Disney's marketing department. And if they think that some other 3 or 4 "new" hexagonal panelled TIEs with slightly different colors will sell better than something more original and with more sense, the Empire will have 3 or 4 more hexagonal panelled TIEs.

Edited by Azrapse

If anything, I wish they would actually use the TIE/FO concept model:

http://exoskeletonreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Tie_FO_Concept_Views.jpg

Maybe under different TIE/something.

I like that, it has the feels of the old Sith Interceptor, while also looking like a continuation of the Tie Advanced project.

fury-wallpaper-002.jpg

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

Gunboats and Chiss Clawcraft alleviate that. Another would be the Invid Clutches and the Gand Starfighter modified TIE Bombers.

Back in the EU, border squadrons on backwater planets occasionally got away with custom paint jobs. The Scimitar Assault Wing painted their bombers white as they were in brighter skies primarily known for high altitude bombing runs and swoop dives. Hence their White Death moniker.

Go ham here dude, it's your fleet.

http://exoskeletonreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Tie_FO_Concept_Views.jpg

I like that, it has the feels of the old Sith Interceptor, while also looking like a continuation of the Tie Advanced project.

fury-wallpaper-002.jpg

Pablo has repeatedly stated they had no interest of using or changing any kotor related material. Granted Whiny Ren's armor is a total ripoff of Revan. Which also doesn't explain why the Inquisitor's TIE looks 90% identical to the Republic TIE fan mod that predates the Disney buyout.

Edited by incinerator950

It's not like I haven't got variations for Veterans, characters etc. but still

Picture3.jpg

No I understand what you're getting at. Constantly reusing the same chasis gets old to look at. I've had the exact problem in Armored Core, losing my mind to frame crafting because of meta builds. You can only reuse and repaint something so long before you're numb to it.

Most purists can't deviate from a mindset that something doesn't fit, but when asked for something new, can't provide anything despite original content existing from the 90's. It was actually brought up repeatedly on the Galaxy's guide for pilot training in TIEs that you have to play non-standard.

I'm pretty sure they just took that concept design and tweaked it for the Tie striker.

The similarity is just too coincidental.

Tie/striker?

Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?

TIE/FO STRIKER 

;) 

Edited by Grivoire

Visually I like the Imperial uniformity, but I really get no joy painting them. I repainted almost all of my Rebel and Scum ships, but I have 15-20 primed Imperial that I've been procrastinating on for several months. They're just a drag to paint, especially the wings.

Other models I've painted, stripped, and repainted, several time just because I wanted something new. But once those Imps are done, thats it, they're done. 

I'm pretty sure they just took that concept design and tweaked it for the Tie striker.

The similarity is just too coincidental.

Tie/striker?

Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?

TIE/FO STRIKER 

;) 

its on my to-do list for repaints

I saw it in this very forum, as a concept for the TIE/sf...

And it's gorgeous IMO.

Edited by Malasombra

But is anyone else getting bored of 100s of fighters that are all the same cockpit with slightly different wings. Do any of you yearn for a couple of small ships that don't look like someone made a mistake at the Tie factory and stuck the wings on wrong?

(also as someone that paints, you know when a new wave comes out and you have to paint the same old cockpit, with similar wings, you can't really get very creative.)

Some of the new Imperial designs look a bit dull. Or unoriginal. I mean:

TIE/ln-->great

TIE/in-->marvelous

TIE/bomber-->great

TIE/defender--->i see a pattern, but very nice...

TIE/sf-->not too original

TIE striker-->at least the panels are different

But, as long as we don't get crabs, or toilet seats, i'm happy

I saw it in this very forum, as a concept for the TIE/sf...

And it's gorgeous IMO.

It very much is.

It's a lot like the TIE Striker actually; I might have to attempt the conversion.

This is a much better pic than I've seen before, too.  Thanks.

I feel kind of the same about TIEs, for what it's worth.  I really wish TFA had been a bit more adventurous with its design rather than 'repainted TIE, repainted TIE with rear window and extra greeblies'.

Rogue One looks like it's being at least a bit cleverer about it, which is great.

Also, I totally thought this thread was going to be about rolling a tonne of focus results and getting annoyed about it.  I've been there...

Edited by thespaceinvader

Absolutely.  I was immensely relieved to see the Upsilon Shuttle in the pipes to break up the monotony.

OTOH, in terms of starfighters, I am reading Lords of the Sith.  Vader and his goons are flying V-Wings against the Free Ryloth Movement.  Imperial Refit, anyone??

Of course, this would be a great place to scream GUNBOAT!!  And let's not forget the Skipray Blastboat or the Sentinal-class shuttle (which is featured in Rebels all the time!).

FFG has plenty of non-TIE options that are currently canon.  I wish they would tap them.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Do any of you yearn for a couple of small ships that don't look like someone made a mistake at the Tie factory and stuck the wings on wrong?

Nope. Send me the Aggressor, Oppressor, Hunter and Avenger.

Well, if we're gonna stay boring, I want the TIE Scout and the Mining Guild TIE in construction worker yellow.