Sign in to follow this  
Undeadguy

Fleet Archetypes

What is your favorite archetype to play, play against, and least favorite to play against? I enjoy seing the diversity of this game and everyone's thoughts so share them.

My favorite archetype to play are bomber fleets.

I enjoy playing against MSU/DeMSU.

I hate playing against YT-2400 spam.

I enjoy coming up with "stupid" ideas and testing them out to see if I can make them work in spite of how insane they are.

I enjoy playing just about anything, but particularly lists that are seemingly designed to beat mine, so that I can see how well I can fly my horrific abominations against them.

I do tend to play bomber fleets with significant carrier support. I don't, however, tend to spend all 134 points on squadrons. I'm more in the 100-110 range.

I'll agree with Undeadguy that I really don't enjoy seeing YT-2400 spam on the other side.

As to what else I face, I'm rather agnostic. Lately, I've had a good time facing Liberty cruisers. They tend to melt away pretty quickly under sustained fire.

I do tend to play bomber fleets with significant carrier support. I don't, however, tend to spend all 134 points on squadrons. I'm more in the 100-110 range.

I'll agree with Undeadguy that I really don't enjoy seeing YT-2400 spam on the other side.

As to what else I face, I'm rather agnostic. Lately, I've had a good time facing Liberty cruisers. They tend to melt away pretty quickly under sustained fire.

Also not fun: A-wing swarm, backed by flotillas and a single pimped Liberty-class, geared for 1st player and nothing else. It's a kind of list that's good for winning small - and incredibly boring to play against.

My favorite archetype is a Motti-backed ISD-II with 2x VSD-IIs, all armed to the gills and ready to crush anything that opposes them.

I don't like facing MSU lists and bomber clouds, or Ackbar.

I'm very aware that this list is dead. I'm also very sad about it.

Nowadays I'm trying an ISD-II, 2x GSD-IIs, and a lone RDR configured for fighter killing. Every ship is speed 3+, one of the GSDs is Demolisher. Gunnery teams on nearly everyone. It's not what I wanted, but it kind of works.

Edited by Norsehound

YT-2400 swarm is such a pain to deal with. It is an amazing way for Rebels to deal with bombers and no-squad lists.

It is also extremely dull, and it pains me to see all those YTs on table :D

Having flashbacks from Wave 5 of X-wing?

That could be it.

Are you a shrink, good Sir?

Favourite to play, Konstantine control fleets.

Least favourite to face, single damage ship with activation padding. After destroying that single ship turn 3 its a very awkward game.

Konstantine is also fun to play AGAINST, pushing setup and maneuvering skills to the max. 

YT-2400 swarm is such a pain to deal with. It is an amazing way for Rebels to deal with bombers and no-squad lists.

YT-2400 spam list is dull/lame, especially when that guy shows up with 8 of them all unpainted. It reeks of netlisting and "i don't want to have to worry about actual commands for my squadrons", which means someone who doesn't really have a great grasp on the game.

Plus there is something very...unthematic about 8 YT 2400's.

Edited by Rocmistro

I still enjoy the Rieekan Bomber lists but have trouble against Fast Ackbar opponents.

Thinking of transferring to a Konstantine Speed Trap fleet. Either 2ISD+fighters or slow 3 VSD + Rhymer ball

Edited by Mad Cat

After the Vancouver Regionals in which I ran an Interdictor Suppression with NK-7s and Intel, I have changed my tune.  What a bad *** combo. I normally ran a 4 Glad/Demo with Rogues build.   Thats all over with.  

Not knowing what the next wave gives me.  I know that the NK-7s and Intel to strip those braces and evades away and having Demo then finish,  ohh I feel like a fat kid locked in a candy store overnight.  (oh ya I am fat old kid!)

Naboobo2000

Enjoy:   ISD2, Glad (not Dem, that's lazy), Raider x2 with anti-bomber squadrons (varied as I feel that day)   &   MC30 x3, BCC x 2, X-wing x 6  (them X-wings just don't get enough love)

Dislike:  0 squadron fleets.  *Yawn*

Edited by SirDave

YT-2400 spam list is dull/lame, especially when that guy shows up with 8 of them all unpainted. It reeks of netlisting and "i don't want to have to worry about actual commands for my squadrons", which means someone who doesn't really have a great grasp on the game.

4th at Worlds (also top in their day pool) had 8 Yt2400s. So did the winner of US National Championship I believe. Pretty sure those people had a great grasp of the game, just saying.

4th at Worlds (also top in their day pool) had 8 Yt2400s. So did the winner of US National Championship I believe. Pretty sure those people had a great grasp of the game, just saying.

So did the guy that I trounced at my local tournie.  I'm not saying they can't do good, are evil, that they should burn in hell or that they aren't nice guys.

Just expressing my opinion, along with Undead and Mikael that I don't like playing against YT-2400 spam

I believe I've spoken pretty extensively of my personal dislike and frustration of facing 8 YT2400zzz.

I don't fault the people that play it though - it's a good group of fighters. My beef is that it's unthematic and my frustration with the ship itself being pretty **** efficient for its cost.

No slights against my opponents though.

...except you also expressed your opinion that it's netlisting and an indicator that the person doesn't have a good grasp on the game. Which has been proven untrue.

It's okay to not like something, it's the associated character slights that are drawing ire.

To be precise I said it seemed like it...because that's what my experience has been.

I love running tight formations of big battleships, so gunlines of VSDs, ISDs, Interdictors are my favorite. For Rebel fleets, I have a soft spot for lists with as many different types of ship as possible.

I viciously hate Rhymer, as he's way broken and appears in the same dumb ball in every list, so I never use him. However, I think TIE bombers are sweet, so I'm looking forward to Janus so I can have bombers make my big battleships even better.

I love playing small ship lists, imp or reb with light fighter cover. I'm never really happy playing with slow and large base ships. Happy to play against any list at all, never make a judgment on someone else's list, their choice, I just enjoy playing.

Worst build ever: 5 nebs

Favourite ships:

Glad, mc30.