Sign in to follow this  
emmjay

Considerate play

Once at a tournament, one of my opponents was narrating all happenings on the table... and he played at a fast pace. I kinda enjoyed it, like a radio program and I never forgot an action/ability/effect as a result of his voice-over antics...

But he was so zippy he couldn't help, every single time, to point out my templates after my dial was revealed-  narrating "Here is your 2-straight..." My templates weren't messy- they were half-organized in a little stack. Kinda got hilarious after awhile. I don't mind some one pointing out where my gear is but wait at least 3 seconds. :P

Coming from playing, and running demos of Battletech for years ,where you are constantly announcing what you're firing at your opponent, I am very used to narrating what I am doing. I'm sure my opponent gets tired of hearing "I perform a white maneuver, Kanan clears stress, Dash will blah blah blah"

I think the biggest part of considerate play is clear communication; always make sure your actions and choices are communicated and that your opponent is aware where extra actions or abilities are coming from.

Obviously you can tone this down somewhat vs an experienced opponent, but I think every match against a new opponent should start with this kind of "palms up" approach until their degree of experience with the game has been established.

I think the other half of considerate play comes under not rushing your opponent. I'm not talking about allowing or condoning slow play, but I always like to prompt the start of phases (particularly if I know my opponent has effects that he/she can trigger at the start of these phases).

Honestly these things feel like they translate pretty well to or from pretty much any competitive game; communicate clearly & always give opportunity for triggered effects to go off.

This of course beyond the obvious: Which is treat your opponent with respect and ~99% of the time you'll get that same respect back from them.

What's NPE?

In wave 3 my friend ran 2x Ion Cannon, FCS B-wings, and 2 Ion Cannon Turret Y-wings. Ever wanted to play a game of X-wing where you almost never get to set your dials, and never shoot because your opponent always knows where you'll be next turn? That's a Negative Play Experience.

Eventually I discovered that 4 TIE bombers, and a Firespray always wins the attrition war against a list like that. Then it was his turn to loose every match as soon as he placed his ships.

In the end we both decided to not run those squads anymore.

That reminds me of 2nd ed 40k in the 90s.   My house mate always took some overly powerful dark angel or blood angel hero and i had a guard army.

Basciallyt he game devolved into 'if he could get a figure into close combat he has essentally won'.   This was mainly mitigated when assasins game in and i took an eversor nearly every game that, while it rarely killed his hero crippled him on half stats.

He got really sick of this happening and said 'will you stop taking effing assassins' and I said, sure as soon as you stop taking the hardest characters you can all the time.

I narrate as way to keep the gamestate clear to both my opponent and myself. I declare things like "start of the combat phase" since saying it out loud as a habit makes it harder for me to forget my own triggers. It also means there is no "gotcha" moment when a window has passed. We were clear that a triggering window was occurring and so I don't feel bad saying "sorry, that's a missed opportunity". I want to play by the rules and win by the rules and it's a way to hold both players to that while not being exploitative or rude about it.

The number of times I forget Epsilon Leader's ability, even when doing this, is why I wholeheartedly agree!

When I used to play 6, 7 or 8 TIE Swarms regularly, I would narrate what I'm doing and I find that it helped me a lot. So when I flipped a dial, I would say what the move was, just in case my opponent cannot see it properly and then what action that number was going to perform. I find I do this less now with 2 to 3 ship lists but I do flip the dial in clear view of my opponent.

I sometimes wished my opponents told me what was on their revealed dial, especially if they are someone that likes to keep the dials on their pilot cards. My eye sight isn't great and I often feel embarrassed to ask. Even more so when they have performed a perfect 2 bank left and the dial to me looks like a 2 bank right.

Same when rolling dice, to avoid any unnecessary errors, I generally say "TIE 1 attacking your Dash, range 2, so 2 v 2 with Howlrunner re-roll." I have found that it either does zero to the game or it reminds players of their dice. I found this even more critical now with long lasting effects such as critical conditions or tractor beams that reduce agility.

Also, I roll my dice away from the ships, in a clear space and also move any dice results that I don't intend on modifying out of the way when re-rolling. It kinda funny to see when your opponent has a hit, focus and blank, Predator reroll the blank which knocks the focus into a hit and TA DA!! 3 hits. . .

Token clean up is important as well. Keep seeing people spend a focus and then move on to the next attack and the focus is still sitting there, which they then go to spend during defence and I have to kindly remind them they already did on attack. Cue rain man style re-cap of the last 30 seconds to prove a point. :(

What's NPE?

In wave 3 my friend ran 2x Ion Cannon, FCS B-wings, and 2 Ion Cannon Turret Y-wings. Ever wanted to play a game of X-wing where you almost never get to set your dials, and never shoot because your opponent always knows where you'll be next turn? That's a Negative Play Experience.

Eventually I discovered that 4 TIE bombers, and a Firespray always wins the attrition war against a list like that. Then it was his turn to loose every match as soon as he placed his ships.

Both these squads have obvious weaknesses that can easily be exploited - thus they're not competitive in a larger meta and only work against opponents who aren't ready to switch squadrons between plays. Personally, I'd see both those squads as an opportunity for a counter list if I knew that it'd come again.

Thus, NPE is IMHO entirely subjective, as I've written more extensively in that other thread.

(On the subject of this thread, I agree wholeheartedly with the OP; I don't think there's much to discuss here. Thanks for the reminder.)

Edited by haslo

What's NPE?

Both these squads have obvious weaknesses that can easily be exploited - thus they're not competitive in a larger meta and only work against opponents who aren't ready to switch squadrons between plays. Personally, I'd see both those squads as an opportunity for a counter list if I knew that it'd come again.

Thus, NPE is IMHO entirely subjective, as I've written more extensively in that other thread.

(On the subject of this thread, I agree wholeheartedly with the OP; I don't think there's much to discuss here. Thanks for the reminder.)

This was pre-aces wave 3 dude, the other options were basically Han Shoots First and the original TIE Swarm. And neither of us ran the other's faction. That was in the days of "plastic beats paper" meta, all ships and almost no upgrades. It's an entirely different game now.