Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

What Do I Want For Christmas?

My family is wanting to know what to get me and I have no idea what to say.

Gaming stuff?  I can buy my own gaming stuff.  They'll buy me dumb gaming stuff like Monopoly.

Guns?  Too expensive, I can't ask for that.

Fishing stuff?  I can get that through my awards catalog at work.

Tools?  Please?  Really?  I don't want to ask for work stuff.

Clothes?  No way!  I will never ask for clothes for Christmas because I'm a kid on the inside.

What should I ask for?

Pfft.  Amateurs.

Tell them you want an honest to goodness, working brass sextant.  You don't need it, you're not a sailor - but it's very manly and cool.  You wouldn't even need to figure out how to use it, just stand outside and pretend you're navigating by the stars - you'll look and feel like an old world boss.

Not into "old world" cool?  Fine, tell them you want a hand held laser guide - the kind that you use to show whether a ship is in arc etc.  Only you want it with a green laser.  Red is for the common man. 

Not geeky enough? Tell them you want your own laser cutter - the kind you can use to make your own acrylic (or wood) templates.  Then use the same cutter to cut out hollows in which you put pearl and abalone insets you've cut out with the same cutter - you know how some guitars have artistic pearl inlays all over the fretboard - you can do that with a laser cutter - and it'll work on (edit: arcylic) acrylic and wood templates - imagine your templates with precision cut inlays of whatever the heck you want to show up.  That's a step up from painting in the numbers.

Too much work?  Okay, why not consider furnishing yourself with modding goodies - buy some magnets, buy an airbrush and a compressor - turn off the TV, get yourself in a corner with some minis and a few hours of time - and see what you can do.

Okay, maybe that last one is still work - but it fun work.

Full disclosure?  These are all the gifts I want.  I don't expect you to want them - I just hope my wife reads this.

Edited by DanDoulogos

Whirled Peas.

Spotted ****.  It is Christmas, after all.

Edit:  LOL.  It must be hard to be a guy named Richard, in general.

fixed your post for you.

The name kind of reminds me about Louis CK talking about how, depending on it's usage, there is a word that is actually the only word that is the polite thing to call a group of people while still being a slur for the exact same group.  Richard falls into that same category.

Whirled Peas.

Spotted ****.  It is Christmas, after all.

Edit:  LOL.  It must be hard to be a guy named Richard, in general.

fixed your post for you.

The name kind of reminds me about Louis CK talking about how, depending on it's usage, there is a word that is actually the only word that is the polite thing to call a group of people while still being a slur for the exact same group.  Richard falls into that same category.

Funny side note, I look just like Louis CK, very handsome comedian that he is.  Never heard of him until someone told me I looked like him.

Yes!  I want a laser sight for seeing if a shot is in arc!

I'll just say it's for manly work stuff of course.

$4.98 from Harbor Freight...don't waste a gift opportunity for $4.98...

Well, my family ranges from strapped-for-cash to don't-know-what-to-do-with-all-this-money, so my Amazon Christmas list has things for $2-$60. 

Honestly, I'm just happy to spend time off of work and with my family (oh my gosh I love Christmas), but people want to get me something. 

Edited by Boba Rick