Sign in to follow this  
droz69

The case for immediately changing the wording on Kylo Ren Condition...

well...what hope is there in playing anything else...

There is always hope. Rebel competitive lists are built on hope.

But in all seriousness, Kylo isn't as terrible as you're making him out to be. As many have mentioned already, his ability is limited to one ship per round, it takes an action to do, and you have to guarantee the critical hit to even get the effect off. Empire has the tools to make this feat a little bit easier, but nowhere near to the point of game-breaking.

Also, could someone double check to see how many Pilot crits there are in a deck? I mean, you can reach the point where there are no more crits for you to give out with him.

Yes, but if the opponent took so much hull damage they are probably dead anyway!

Draw their fire, Biggs, Determination all render Kylo an impotent angry emo.

And are except for Biggs poor choices. Yes, there are counters, but they are mostly needed for Rebels and Scum, as imps have a much easier time dodging the crit, and can just go on not changing anything to their Palp Ace or Defender list.

That is the unfair part. Rebel ace lists get shut down again or need to take subpar stuff. Or they get pushed into taking Biggs yet again.

Did FFG really not learn that taking Rebel Regen out of the game just kills diversity and leads to a ton of Palpmobiles played.

Not only that, but all the 2 agility imp ships, especially The SF and the Striker will have huge problems with Kylo too!

And if you're really scary of Kylo Ren..

Green Squadron Pilot (19)

Draw Their Fire (1)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Determination (1)

A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Total: 19

But in all seriousness, Kylo isn't as terrible as you're making him out to be. As many have mentioned already, his ability is limited to one ship per round, it takes an action to do, and you have to guarantee the critical hit to even get the effect off. Empire has the tools to make this feat a little bit easier, but nowhere near to the point of game-breaking.

Tell that to low agility ships with lower ps, who won't be able to shoot that turn.

Tell that to low agility ships with lower ps, who won't be able to shoot that turn.

Bump the Kylo ship. Stress the Kylo ship. Blow up the ships that might deal a critical damage to you with your higher PS ships. Blow up the ship Kylo Ren is on. Try to position yourself so you have the best chance of being out of arc of whatever ships can deal critical hits easily.

There's no way to always be completely immune from Kylo Ren's effect (he'd be no fun and worthless otherwise), but Rebel ships are far from helpless. Even the low PS and low agility ones. Basic X-Wing strategies will take you far in avoiding the imagined "tyranny" of Kylo Ren.

Edited by Derpzilla88

Sure, it has a crit gimmick to use against high PS aces.

It's also double Decimator, a list that wasn't a good choice in Wave 5 and 6 and became Scyk spam levels of inadvisable come Wave 7 thanks to TLT. If it can't kill Quad TLT in four rounds it dies because that's how long it takes Quad TLT to delete two Decimators.

And are except for Biggs poor choices. Yes, there are counters, but they are mostly needed for Rebels and Scum, as imps have a much easier time dodging the crit, and can just go on not changing anything to their Palp Ace or Defender list.

That is the unfair part. Rebel ace lists get shut down again or need to take subpar stuff. Or they get pushed into taking Biggs yet again.

Did FFG really not learn that taking Rebel Regen out of the game just kills diversity and leads to a ton of Palpmobiles played.

Not only that, but all the 2 agility imp ships, especially The SF and the Striker will have huge problems with Kylo too!

I absolutely love how you say that rebels are forced to field biggs and how that is a bad thing but the fact that empire to a huge extent always fields a palpmobile to be competitive (yes there are exeptions ofc) yet that is not something they should cry about.

Seriously, amazing marketing job by the complainers of this forum. I suggest we the opposition start crying about how we are forced to fly palpatine to survive while the rebels have the almighty biggs to counter every game mechanism.

Amazing.

Edited by haritos

I absolutely love how you say that rebels are forced to field biggs and how that is a bad thing but the fact that empire to a huge extent always fields a palpmobile to be competitive (yes there are exeptions ofc) yet that is not something they should cry about.

Seriously, amazing marketing job by the complainers of this forum. I suggest we the opposition start crying about how we are forced to fly palpatine to survive while the rebels have the almighty biggs to counter every game mechanism.

Amazing.

Empire was good before Palp. Palp isn't a requirement to be good, it's a choice. And nobody is going to choose a lesser option if they don't have to. The thing about Palp is that if you wanted, you could trade him out for another Ace and probably do pretty good.

Biggs though. Biggs IS a requirement. Many Rebel lists CANT do good without Biggs. ARC-170s? If you don't have Biggs, you're not going to win. Simple as that. 

Palp is a crutch, Biggs is a requirement. 

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

I don't remember seeing Biggs in the Worlds 2nd place list... Guess the reason he didn't get 1st was he didn't have Biggs right?

Because that specific archetype is held back by Biggs, who prefers a slow, methodical approach, which hampers K-Wings. 

Jesus, everyone is being a complete smartass today. Use your freaking BRAIN and think these things out before trying to go for snarky replies.

If you'll READ my post, you'll notice i specifically said MANY, not ALL Rebel lists need Biggs.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

I don't remember seeing Biggs in the Worlds 2nd place list... Guess the reason he didn't get 1st was he didn't have Biggs right?

Because that specific archetype is held back by Biggs, who prefers a slow, methodical approach, which hampers K-Wings. 

Jesus, everyone is being a complete smartass today. Use your freaking BRAIN and think these things out before trying to go for snarky replies.

If you'll READ my post, you'll notice i specifically said MANY, not ALL Rebel lists need Biggs.

It is possible that others would be less snarky, if you yourself were a heck of a lot more polite, and simply focused on making your point, rather than attacking those that do not agree with the point you are making.

You see if Rebels had less list diversity than Imps or Scum I would agree. But it really doesn't, I can think of half a dozen lists off the top of my head that don't use Biggs.

Would you say the same things about Manaroo, or Palp.. All of which find their way into many lists because they solve a weakness the list has. If you want to take Glass Cannons in Rebels you take Biggs, If you want to limit the variance from green dice, due to having very few hits and needing to entirely dodge shots you take Palpatine. If you need tokens because your list has issues with Action efficiency you take Manaroo.

You can't complain if faction has a tool, and people use it. Rebel tanky lists don't need Biggs, those same lists don't have much of an issue with Kylo. 

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

Amazing.

There's more. We are talking to counter Ren if he becomes a common choice in the meta, of corse.

And if that happens, there will be less Palp Aces.So that argumentation just fall