Sign in to follow this  
Avexsis

Any chance for IOS/Android version?

Hi, guys. I just got my copy of the LOTR, it arrived from overseas (cause in my country there is no single copy available for purchase) and now I'm struggling with tutorials and watching youtubes trying to get into the game.

It would be a lot easier though for people like me to use a tablet or smartphone app to get into this game. Like Ascension Chronicles of the Godlslayer card game, which exists both in box and app form. It would bring more popularity to the game too I think. Why didn't the publisher introduce the app yet? Does anyone know their opinion on it?

1) I don't know of any apps by FFG

2) Partially because of #1 I doubt that they have the devs for it.

I feel like they just want to be a physical card game shop. And there would have be updated made every time they release a new pack, plus they'd need to find a way to verify all the packs you've already bought... It's not as simple as just making an app for it.

The rules are grey and even contradictory in so many places that I'm pretty sure we'll never see an actual automated digital version of the game official or fan-made.  That said, there is a LotR LCG module for the OCTGN tabletop simulator, but it won't help you learn the rules and I don't know whether it runs on any mobile platforms.

I actually like playing with the physical cards and don't want to play on the computer. I use a computer all day at work and need an "eletronics break" when I play.

Also, a tablet screen seems it would be too small to see the entire play area.

As others said, it would take a lot of effort to make an app and keep it updated and verified with physical purchases. I get the feeling Fantasy Flight Games has a relatively small software division.

I think the best way would just be a virtual table top with tokens, trackers, etc with basic deck builder would be best. Maybe a few quality of life features thrown in, but as stated before, octgn already kinda has this feature.

I tried to mod LotR LCG on another game engine, ultimately gave up on implementing responses and forced responses - too fiddly and too many things to consider. A paid and skilled company will have no problems developing a game like this, that is I'm sure of.

If they can definitively answer all of the questions that pop up in the rules section of the FFG forums.  FFG's own responses are not infrequently contradictory.

I tried to mod LotR LCG on another game engine, ultimately gave up on implementing responses and forced responses - too fiddly and too many things to consider. A paid and skilled company will have no problems developing a game like this, that is I'm sure of.

If they can definitively answer all of the questions that pop up in the rules section of the FFG forums.  FFG's own responses are not infrequently contradictory.

It's not a problem, they can always make their own tough decisions.

I do, however, would LOVE to have a digital and semi-automated Quest deck portion of the game. It would save me some room when I play, an infallible program will keep track of the million and one things on board, and I can just enjoy the excitement of having enemies and terrible weather come flying my way without having to remember to check for every single forced effect, every card that needs to be flipped, every Time counter, etc.

I'm using CardWarden on my iPad and it's really nice. Although a lot of initial work to import the cards and set it all up. Totally worth it though. But yes the size of the screen limit the amount of players to two (in my case twohanded solo).

Of course I prefere the real thing, and I will keep buying each deluxe and all adventure packs, but the iPad is sweet when travelling or just to quickly test a few ideas.

I do, however, would LOVE to have a digital and semi-automated Quest deck portion of the game. It would save me some room when I play, an infallible program will keep track of the million and one things on board, and I can just enjoy the excitement of having enemies and terrible weather come flying my way without having to remember to check for every single forced effect, every card that needs to be flipped, every Time counter, etc.

This would be incredible. Locations and travel tokens, enemies and damage, with all the timing baked in. DLC scenarios and some cool mood music.. Oh please, yes!

A quest app for people with small tables would be great. It could also make it more travel-friendly. We've already seen them test the waters with two games, so they have both the resources and willingness to try new things. But I always get the impression this is one of their cash cows, so perhaps it's not so likely :)

How would it handle encounter attachments?

How would it handle encounter attachments?

Probably not very well if it's player attachment, but encounter treasury conditions can probably be programmed to come into effect, boosting attacks or what not. If the condition affects players, it will have to be manual on the players' end either way.