Sign in to follow this  
nigeltastic

Backdraft doubletap

I had a thought I wanted to confirm with those here on the rules forum. If one manages to get the miracle of placing backdraft next to a large base ship such that both arcs are on it, you should be able to shoot it out of both arcs and add a critical result to each attack, correct?

When attacking a ship in your auxiliary arc, you may add one [kaboom] result.

I do believe you are correct. Backdraft's ability reads:

When attacking a ship inside your auxillary firing arc, you may add 1 [critical] result.

Nowhere does it say you must be attacking from that auxillary firing arc. You'd pull this off one game in 50, but yeah, I think you would actually get the bonus critical on both shots.

Edited by DR4CO

I had a thought I wanted to confirm with those here on the rules forum. If one manages to get the miracle of placing backdraft next to a large base ship such that both arcs are on it, you should be able to shoot it out of both arcs and add a critical result to each attack, correct?

When attacking a ship in your auxiliary arc, you may add one [kaboom] result.

Yup, seems correct.

I do believe you are correct. Backdraft's ability reads:

When attacking a ship inside your auxillary firing arc, you may add 1 [critical] result.

Nowhere does it say you must be attacking from that auxillary firing arc. You'd pull this off one game in 50, but yeah, I think you would actually get the bonus critical on both shots.

1 in 50 is probably an overestimate.  This is *REALLY* tricky to pull off against a large ship.  Easier against a Huge one though.

Bit of an oversight for them to use "in" instead of "from" on the card text!

Edit: I agree with you that it will likely be ruled that only the shot from the rear arc adds a crit. I've sent a rules question for final clarity though and will update this thread when/if I hear back :)

Edited by Goseki1

Yes, Backdraft would add the crit as it is written. It is exactly like having Tactician or not triggering Authotruster because the ship touch your firing arc but shooting outside of it with a 360 weapon. (Because you are closer outside the arc)

Secondary weapon let you shoot from the primary arc. This is why you can't shout at a ship in the auxiliary arc, even if he is also touching your primary.

Call it rule lawering, but if Tactician work this have to work.

Secondary weapon let you shoot from the primary arc. This is why you can't shout at a ship in the auxiliary arc, even if he is also touching your primary.

Sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say here.  Most secondary weapons are primary arc only and it doesn't matter if a ship is in the auxiliary arc or not, if it is touching (also known as "in") your primary arc you can shoot it with any weapon that can fire at the range the ship is in arc.  

Also I agree that as written, Backdraft's ability will add a crit to both shots (assuming you have the autoadd title equipped) but I will add this - Good luck with actually pulling this off.

Bit of an oversight for them to use "in" instead of "from" on the card text!

Edit: I agree with you that it will likely be ruled that only the shot from the rear arc adds a crit. I've sent a rules question for final clarity though and will update this thread when/if I hear back :)

A bit of a resurrection, but did you ever hear back about this?

Send this question to FFG and then standby for disappointment. It's pretty clear that you've got to be attacking the ship in your auxiliary arc using your auxiliary arc, and I'd bet that's the way FFG would intend it to go.

Just sayin'.

Yup! I'd play it like this, it's how it was meant. If I were in a tournament I would fight you on it all day! Casual play I'd let it happen cause that's just cool!

No worth to be in an FAQ, this is too rare of a possibility that it will never be a game changer. They probably give zero "*****"

Well considering that there is a FAQ entry around the interaction between Fel's Wrath and Coran Horn which has probably never happened ever, the fact that this is something that you might actually be able to engineer with an astute barrel roll certainly makes it potentially worthy of an FAQ.

Having said that its pretty clear that with the current wording you would get the effect from both shots, you only have to be able to see the targeted ship with your aux arc to trigger the effect. It does not say that you have to be shooting FROM your aux arc to get the effect.

Send this question to FFG and then standby for disappointment. It's pretty clear that you've got to be attacking the ship in your auxiliary arc using your auxiliary arc, and I'd bet that's the way FFG would intend it to go.

Just sayin'.

Yup! I'd play it like this, it's how it was meant. If I were in a tournament I would fight you on it all day!

And as written, you'd be wrong to do so, and I'd very much hope that the judge called in to adjudicate would read the card, not what you wish was written on it.

Yeah I'm afraid this one is very clear Rules as Written, regardless of perceived intent.

There's even precedent to back it up

The point is, it's not that clear. Although it doesn't say you must be making the attack in your auxiliary arc, I believe that's the intent, and FFG generally rule in favour of their intent on how a card is designed. I'm not denying that as written it works in both arcs given the right conditions, but don't be surprised if this gets clarified in the next FAQ to be an auxiliary arc attack only that triggers the ability.

I think if the intent was to allow both arcs, then it would be worded along the lines of: 

"When attacking, if the defender is in your auxiliary arc, you may add 1 <crit> result."

You are aware that if they "fix" backdraft as you ask, they will have to fix stuff like Autothruster and Tactician to not work anymore if they touch your Arc but you attack them outside your arc with a 360 attack.

They are the same situation, you attack a ship inside your arc, but from oustide of it.

Edited by muribundi