SolkaTruesilver

Imperial Class Deck ratings?

Those are the only good cards for Precision Training, with Find the Weakness being the best. But then you are pretty much playing with just those class cards all campaign. The class can be solid mid game if you rush the 4xp but falls apart late game when Rebels steam roll figures toward the end. It's good when you can get a whole squad to attack but very bad when you are usually left with 1-2 single figures left in an activation after the starting Rebel activation of a round. The

I think someone started a poll the other day on BGG and results are coming in. I agree that Precision Training is the weakest followed by Inspired Leadership. Everything else is avg or very good and the Core 3 classes are still the best (tech sup & MM are getting better with more figure options, sub is always strong since it just targets the Rebels)

Find the Weakness is a huge force multiplier if you spam tons of cheap figures. with Stormtroopers and Hired Guns, and I also had Fire at Will and Final Blast, my Rebels were just melting under a thousand cuts that they couldn't really defend against and I ended up having to handicap myself in that campaign. I imagine it only gets better once you add in Jet Troopers as another way to get cheap 2 pt figures on the board. 

But yes, if you avoid Find the Weakness or maybe don't play to its strengths by spamming 2pt figures and multiple attack abilities, Precision Training is rendered into the stinky garbage that everyone thinks it is.

Pinpoint Accuracy is very swingy. The rebels may never roll a dodge. Or they may roll more than one per mission. Take it only if you have one XP left over. (Learning from my mistakes.)

Knowledge of Attack sounds good, but doesn't end up helping much if the heroes have either surge-heavy weapons or weapons that do not need surges.

Find the Weakness - must get this first.

(Learning from other class decks) I would actually take Assassins next. Rerolls for 3-dice attacks is very powerful, and assuring line of sight is great as well.

Sharpshooters is also not that bad. Being able to stay just one space further away and guarantee accuracy can sometimes make a huge difference, and combined with Find the Weakness all of your units have Pierce 1 and +1 Accuracy.

I think the main weakness of this deck is that they put Threat costs on a bunch of the abilities. They didn't need to do that. I think the deck would probably be fine - maybe even still on the weak side - if you just removed all the threat costs.

Also, as good as Find the Weakness is, it's almost sad comparing it to Guild Hunters from Hutt Mercenaries. Just the second half of Guild Hunters is almost as strong as adding Pierce 1 to all attacks. For some units it's even better.

On 10/26/2017 at 2:41 PM, Deadwolf said:

I have started a new JR campaign using the Reactive Defenses deck. The title is misleading tho because imo the best parts of the deck have to do with supporting your teams offense, although I really want to see how effective the shields are.

I think it definitely has potential, although it was absolutely awful for the first 2 missions. I think you have be judical when you choose this class, and not pick it when there is a hero that can hard counter it (like Shyla).

And if they come into ways to attacking the droid, you will just have to play around it as best you can.

Definitely not a good pick for newer imp players.

After the first mission, I totally regret taking this class deck. I find 88-Z a piece of junk. Is there a consensus on what to do next? I'm reading through the thread, and not finding the answer I'm looking for. 

My question is, you're stuck with this class deck. What's the best way to proceed?

I would say, go for the cards that buff your figures over 88-Z itself.

Targeting Sensor - This seems like the best card. It acts a lot like Ring Leader or the 4xp from Inspiriting leadership. 2 spaces is pretty good coverage and 88-Z is harder to take out. If 2 figures get this bonus a round, that's +2 damage and +1 from exhausting the card, which is a good amount (compare to the Hutt card which does +3 to bounty target, or 2 to regular). Opportunity here to get even more out of this card

I also like Mechanical Protocol and Infrared Sensor. 2 surges from Mechanical Protocol is like giving 2 figures hidden and +1 damage if you manage a 88-Z attack. Infrared Sensor for the 1mp extra to all your figures is pretty big, having played with Prepare the Ambush, the reach this gives your figures is awesome. 1 threat is not bad as an activation . Not sure which I would go for

You'll probably want Shielded too at some point to give your troopers better LOS cover from the energy shield to give them a chance to get attacks off with buffs.

This deck would function similarly to Inspired Leadership, it takes good positioning and planning to make use of the attack buffs since you need to have figures in position and have them stay ALIVE

Edited by frotes

Reactive Defenses is TERRIBLE at the start. The base ability of the droid is really bad.

Go for the skill that gives out surges first, it is great.

Then go for the skill that increases damage to attacks done within 2 space, It is amazing.

After that it is up to you.

Reactive Defense is a good deck but it is really bad until you get your first skill.

10 minutes ago, frotes said:

I would say, go for the cards that buff your figures over 88-Z itself.

I think that's not a bad strategy. I'm considering buffing 88-Z into a mobile distraction unit. With Infrared Scanners, Mechanical Protocol, and Overclock, I think I can make 88 enough of a nuisance that the Rebels will have to waste resources to try to remove him.

Plus, the bottom part of Infrared Scanners is really good.

18 minutes ago, thanebot said:

I think that's not a bad strategy. I'm considering buffing 88-Z into a mobile distraction unit. With Infrared Scanners, Mechanical Protocol, and Overclock, I think I can make 88 enough of a nuisance that the Rebels will have to waste resources to try to remove him.

Plus, the bottom part of Infrared Scanners is really good.

Overclock seems fun but the effect of it is too minor imo for a 4xp. Basically you would get 2 activation of it with 3 actions. Move + Attack + X (or Attack + X + Y). Usually need to gain a power token to do damage or use another ability like Mechanical Protocol/Infrared Scanners. 88-Z attacks do 1 damage or 1 strain on avg. Rebels will ignore it all game

Top part of Infrared would have been better if it just straight gave 1 threat but the insight test is something rebels can pass at least 50% of the time on most characters. Sure you try ot use it on a focused character.. then they decide if they want to keep focus or almost certainly prevent you from getting 1 threat. Also you need LOS with 88-Z for it :( The bottom part of the card is great tho

88-Z's attacks are too weak in general. Surprised it didn't get an auto focus attack skill like J4X. It's actions seem better used to activate it's cards and not move forward & attack.

Edited by frotes

I agree - even with his best buffs, 88-Z is just awful attacking by himself. I wouldn't bother getting Overclock unless you already have a bunch of abilities for him to use instead of just attacking.

Blaster Emplacements and Shielded both seem quite strong for only 1XP. Against a primarily Ranged Rebel group, the Shields could get quite annoying, especially if you get Remote Activator. Against someone like Jyn, who is going to set up in one location and try to Quick Draw your figures, blocking her LOS with a shield would be very strong.

And yes, the bottom ability of Infrared Scanners by itself is very good. And the top is either 1 Strain, 1 Threat, or both, and potentially a Focus removed. And if they have any heroes with weak Insight, or any wounded heroes, you have a great chance of gaining 1 Threat.

I would probably go Mechanical ProtocolTargeting Sensors, then Infrared Scanners, then Remote Activator or Blaster Emplacements depending on how much XP you have.

A more defensive build would be Shielded, Electromagnetic Disruptors, Infrared Scanners, Remote Activator (not necessarily in that order).

But I would say Targeting Sensors, Mechanical Protocol, and Infrared Scanners are the best cards in the deck, so you would probably want a build that uses all or most of those.

Infrared Scanner gave me the upper hand for the entire campain. The +1 movement point is absolutely crasy!

Infrared%20Scanners_275_thumb_ffflogog_w

The other cards are more situational, but with a little bit of toughts they are very powerfull. For most of the abilities they are used only 1-2 times max per missions.

I've finished the campain with no 4xp cards and no blaster emplacement(I personnaly don't see any good use of this one)

38 minutes ago, DeeSnyder said:

Infrared Scanner gave me the upper hand for the entire campain. The +1 movement point is absolutely crasy!

Infrared%20Scanners_275_thumb_ffflogog_w

The other cards are more situational, but with a little bit of toughts they are very powerfull. For most of the abilities they are used only 1-2 times max per missions.

I've finished the campain with no 4xp cards and no blaster emplacement(I personnaly don't see any good use of this one)

Very surprised you didn't go for Targeting Sensor

That into Infrared for Positioning and Threat would be my first two pickups

3 hours ago, frotes said:

Very surprised you didn't go for Targeting Sensor

That into Infrared for Positioning and Threat would be my first two pickups

I was at this point in the campain when I had only 5 possibles xp. So I went with distruptors and activator. I think vs the rebel team my best strategy was to disperse my troops all around the map (Drokkata, Vinto, Murne, Ko-Tun). So targeting sensor was not a great choice for me. Overclock look realy good but I reeeaaly din't want blaster emplacement and I allready had Shielded.

What was your other cards?

2 hours ago, DeeSnyder said:

I think vs the rebel team my best strategy was to disperse my troops all around the map (Drokkata, Vinto, Murne, Ko-Tun).

Hmm, yeah vs. Vinto and Drokkata, 88-Z could pretty quickly die from indirect damage if you put him to close to other units.

I guess that is one of the strengths of this deck - you can "react" to the Rebel team and build accordingly.

6 hours ago, DeeSnyder said:

I was at this point in the campain when I had only 5 possibles xp. So I went with distruptors and activator. I think vs the rebel team my best strategy was to disperse my troops all around the map (Drokkata, Vinto, Murne, Ko-Tun). So targeting sensor was not a great choice for me. Overclock look realy good but I reeeaaly din't want blaster emplacement and I allready had Shielded.

What was your other cards?

Ah ok. Still Targeting Sensor at some point would have been good but yea there are situation reasons to pick things up in different orders

3 hours ago, Stompburger said:

Hmm, yeah vs. Vinto and Drokkata, 88-Z could pretty quickly die from indirect damage if you put him to close to other units.

I guess that is one of the strengths of this deck - you can "react" to the Rebel team and build accordingly.

As long as the Rebels can't kill 88-Z in 1 activation before you could use it, I don't think I would as worried. I'm more concerned with Focus Beam attachment that can remove a dodge than stuff that does 1 AOE damage. You can deploy 88-Z every round if it dies during optional deployment in Status phase

We're near the end of our Hoth campaign, and so my opinions on Armoured Onslaught are pretty much fully formed now.

Explosive Munitions:  Not awful, but not wonderful.  Best with figures with inherent accuracy because the Blast is not optional.  Have used it to combo Parting Shot from some Hired Guns

Armor Corps: Meh. I'd only pick this up late in the campaign, probably after a 3XP and 4XP skill, and by then the defense dice is largely irrelevant.  The Rebels kill almost any figure in a single attack, even if I roll 3 blocks.

Automated Repairs:  The fact that both halves of this are exhaust make it a low priority purchase.

Explosive Entry: Unblockable damage is always nice, but too situational to be worth buying.  Rebels don't tend to congregate on deployment points.  Would have been amazing in "Temptation" tho.

Heavy Firepower: Might provide the guaranteed damage to wound a Rebel, but still a weak card overall.  It nets an average of just under 1 extra damage per turn.  Would have far more utility if it was "while attacking" rather than "when declaring".

Reactive Armour: Not very useful on larger vehicles like the AT-ST and the Tank, but pretty handy on Jet Troopers and HK Droids, often meaning they need another attack to defeat.

Mortar: The best card in the deck by such a distance it's not funny.  Even with MHD AoE healing and mitigating the card somewhat, this has been the most reliable way to damage the Rebels in my game. Has done 15 unblockable damage for a single action for me, which is pretty amazing.  Works great with Nexu, which can often Pounce and Mortar in a single activation.  Also good with Dewback Riders.

Power to Shields:  Reasonable.  Good counter to Fenn. Can often be used to keep a figure alive that would otherwise die, so forcing another action to be spent or giving the IP a chance to activate it.  The threat cost it heavy, but bearable.

Rapid Dominance:  Not worth the 4XP, nor the threat.  If the additional action could include an Attack action (on a non-assault figure) it might be worth consideration.

On the whole I think this is one of the weaker class decks.  Only Mortar (and maybe explosive munitions) is really fun to use, and I think the Rebels I am playing with (Verena, Fenn, Diala, MHD) would have totally steamrollered me if I didn't also have Imperial Industry.  Even with that, we're 50-50 going into the endgame, and they have 2 boons unspent.

7 hours ago, udat said:

We're near the end of our Hoth campaign, and so my opinions on Armoured Onslaught are pretty much fully formed now.

On the whole I think this is one of the weaker class decks.  Only Mortar (and maybe explosive munitions) is really fun to use, and I think the Rebels I am playing with (Verena, Fenn, Diala, MHD) would have totally steamrollered me if I didn't also have Imperial Industry.  Even with that, we're 50-50 going into the endgame, and they have 2 boons unspent.

I have only played a mini campaign against Armored Onslaught and was not particularly impressed.  Mortar is amazing but outside of that there isn't anything that really excites me.  However, I have not played it yet myself so might have to force myself to give it a try in an upcoming campaign - gotta play them all!

If it's any consolation, Return to Hoth is often considered one of the more (maybe most) Rebel favored campaign so going 50-50 is not that bad.  The Imperial Industry attachment is so strong, I've probably played played Means of Production seven times.  I think I'm going to avoid buying that agenda card at all costs in the future...

I had a blast ;) with armored onslaught!  Reactive defenses and armored corp are great for adjacent jets+heavies.

Mortar is AMAZING.  Power to shields is great!  having threat doesn't matter if your units just die before they can activate.  I was playing against shyla, fenn, vinto, and Mak; I made good use of this card.

I would rate armored onslaught to be top of the middle of the pack class decks if you have twin shadows and jabba's

Armored Onslaught would be below avg if not for Mortar. That card makes the class and since it is only 3xp, rushing it can help you turn the early missions in your favor.

I haven't seen it listed but I think the 2nd best card in the class is Explosive Entry. At least in Hoth, it's very easy to chain some figures to deploy and hit at least 1 rebel about every other round. Hired Guns and Nexu are perfect for this because of how you can deploy them. Even if you don't get any damage off, the weaken is actually the best part of the explosive since it lows the damage output of the Rebels

Following that, Reactive Armor was something that was Ok during hoth. eProid or HK benefited from it. But now that you have eJets and Sentry Droids, this card's value goes up quite a bit. It's Assault armor for droids/vechicle groups and getting +4 hp to a group and turning an evade into a 2block + evade face is very strong defensive attachment.

Everything else is just soso. The 1xp is something you can get late game to use up points. Power to the Shields can also be good but it depends on the Rebel group. Denying Fenn Blast 2 or Mak Pierce 2/Jedi weapons seem to be the best uses