Sign in to follow this  
Pikachewbacca

Austin Regionals Report.

Beware of the massive wall of text below...

The first half is my report of the regional. The second half is some general thoughts on the current meta and advice for those going to tournaments or regionals themselves.

First of all, I want to give a huge shoutout to Mothership Books and Games in Austin, TX. If you’re ever in the area, drop by. The management and judge are all fantastic people. They pitched in extra prize support just because and everything ran very smoothly. This was the second regional I’ve been to there and both times were fantastic experiences.

For those that didn’t know, the now on-hiatus Mandalorian Tactics podcast was created by myself and J.D. that is referenced below. The circumstances that led me to putting it on hold are clearing up, so hopefully we will be live again soon. I unfortunately didn’t get to attend worlds. With the hot streak I’ve been on, I’m really bummed that I had to forfeit the opportunity. Thankfully, May worlds is just a short 6 months away. Until the podcast comes back, I hope the following summary will suffice.

My list was the following:

2x Elite Stormtrooper

1x Elite Heavy Stormtrooper

Agent Blaise

2x Imperial Officer

Rule By Fear

Zillo Technique

Cross Training

Targeting Computer

Command Deck:

Grenadier

Comm Disruption

Lock On

Reinforcements (2)

Negation

Jump Jets

Camouflage

Intelligence Leak

Planning

Espionage Mastery

Element of Surprise

Urgency

Take Initiative

Celebration

Regarding the list, it isn’t anything new. I’ve been testing all sorts of 2x eISB lists since besting came out utilizing the spy synergies that the ISB’s and Blaise have. I still maintain that eISB’s are one of the best units in the game, but ultimately, the trooper command cards are too strong to not play right now. The person that won Origins played a list very, very similar to this, and and recently Daniel won worlds with this list swapping a cross training for a rule by fear. There are pros and cons to each, but I definitely feel that digging the two extra cards deep to fuel the hand for Zillo and Blaise discards makes it imperative to fit the rule by fear into this specific list.

For the command deck, I am honestly not sure what the cards were that Daniel played, but I imagine they are mostly the same. The list kinda builds itself as you have 7 points in the usual trooper cards, Blaise’s card, and comm disruption. With all the cross training and white die lists, lock on is a no brainer. The accuracy can come in handy when they tough luck a blue die out of your pool after a reroll too. Celebration was a call based on the amount of blaise and gideon/3p0 that is in the meta these days. At its worst, its 1 defense for Zillo. Its more playable to me now that there is a use for it in the lists that don’t play unique figures.

To set the stage:

14 players

4 rounds of swiss followed by cut to top 8.

7 of the players came from my local meta in Dallas. Unfortunately, that means overlap of having to play each other.

Round 1: (Constant Motion)

My opponent is Isaac. Isaac is a player that made top 8 of the Austin regional earlier this year and top 4 of the Dallas regional. I was on bantha lists around that time and it turns out that Isaac was on something similar to his previous list for this tournament. His list was:

Luke

2x Elite Echo Base Trooper

2x Elite Smuggler

Gideon

3p0

On a Diplomatic Mission (Gideon)

This scenario is 100% determined by the play at the bottom of the map. Controlling the tokens at the bottom has been the difference in every game for me on Constant Motion. Putting too many units into the middle can often be the mistake that can cost a player the game. I start on the side without the difficult terrain as Isaac chose the other on initiative.

Isaac does a great job denying early use of Blaise for me. I took two of the cross trained troopers into the middle to hopefully convince Isaac to engage with me there with the echo’s that he had placed near the door in deployment. Isaac does bring 3 echoes into the middle, allowing me to start to make my plays towards the bottom. I eventually get the shot with my last activation of the round after starting to move the troopers towards the bottom. I look at Isaac’s hand and see Grenadier, Son of Skywalker, and Fleet Footed. Ouch. I had drawn into my grenadier with rule by fear, but did not have a good multi-target spot, so it was a no-brainer to trade grenadiers with interrogate. Two Luke activations is a small price to pay to avoid eating a grenade on 5-6 troopers that I have moved all to the bottom. Round 1 is 4-0 with me getting control of one objective.

Round two I saw the hand again and took away a negation leaving heart of freedom for me to comm disruption later in the round. Unfortunately, Blaise was the first thing to die to the echo base troopers leaving me unable to counter the Heart of Freedom as I was left with one spy. I had put 7-8 damage on Luke and watched it evaporate over the course of his next two activations. A clutch dodge on a storm in the middle kept the EBT’s in the middle to take the terminal away. Fortunately, that was my game plan and it worked. I picked off the Echo that had come down from deployment and beat the other in the middle as well. 2 sets of 8 points from the tokens, one Smuggler that had come to the bottom (the other to the top terminal), and gideon/3p0 puts me at 38 with control of 2 objectives going into the last round.

40-20.

Round 2: (Reconnaissance)

My opponent this time was a local player that I had not previously met. Andy began in the side with the stairs. His list was as follows:

2x HK Assassin Droid

Bossk

Greedo

Nexu

Gideon

C3PO

Temporary Alliance

Devious Scheme

Explosive Armaments

This match was interesting as it seemed Andy wanted to really setup focused explosive shots on the HK’s. It becomes apparent to me and I plan accordingly. I took down my door very early in the 1st round with another activation of stormtroopers in striking distance to discourage him opening his own door. I believe he might have accidentally blocked himself from being able to open it at the end of round 1 or simply did not want to face the stormtroopers. I moved one of the stormtroopers up to the red square close to the stairs so that I can place my camera and see everyone behind his closed door. One of the keys to playing this list is using the slow movement and armor plating of the heavies to your advantage. Use them to block line of sight (yes, it is possible) and to eat up shots. Andy was able to get 9 points from cameras and the heavy activation, but I was able to take out both of the focused HK assassin droids before they were able to take those explosive shots, riding the snowball from there. Bossk was surprised by my elements. I celebrated the death of Greedo.. Andy was a fun opponent and had some of the coolest bling with his 3d printed accessories.

40-17, 2-0

Round 3: (To your stations)

This match is against Tim aka T-BOSS from Dallas. I played time twice last regional season, last playing him in the semifinals of the Dallas regional. Luckily, I came away with the win back then. We’ve been sparring partners for the weeks leading to this tournament and he landed on playing the following list:

Elite Snowtroopers

2x Elite Stormtroopers

Elite ISB’s

Imperial Officer

Cross training

Rule by Fear

Zillo Technique

We are on the blaise map again, but this time I’m on the side with the stairs. I don’t remember specifics on this one, but I do remember ripping a reinforcements card away. I was able to get a hidden blast shot with the heavies (always hide them with blaise triggers) onto a couple of troopers that were where the door used to be. The key to beating stormtroopers simply comes down to good blocking/positioning to prevent shots on yourself and maneuvering in a way that ensure wiping activations in one fell swoop. I know that sounds easier than it is, but if you truly plan for the start to setup for shots on specific units, it can be done. Early in round 2 i was able to take out the full suite of cross trained troopers with my own troopers. Tim took out Blaise first, and got 6 points from objectives as he had taken ISBs down to the bottom turrets in the first round. I then began to work on the snow troopers, again focusing on unit by unit until the activation was gone, sniping an officer while I was at it. From there, it was taking out the ISB’s and the spy camera points gave me the last push I needed. Playing eSnows is a great call with Zillo. the increased amount of “lives with one” instances makes them even better and coming back. Unfortunately for Tim, we played on the most close-quartered map and its a lot harder to play the long game when I can play with max harassment.

40-24, 3-0

Round 4:

As I alluded to earlier, this is where I face J.D. He and I have been close friends about as long as I’ve been playing non-mtg board/card games a couple of years ago. I met him when I went to an Android Netrunner weekly meet up and eventually he got me into playing Imperial Assault skirmish this January. In the past year I’ve gone from novice playing jank lists like “2 Fleek 4 Kashyyyk” to winning store champs in Tulsa and the spring Dallas regional and the Austin regional this weekend. I owe a lot to JD for teaching me at first and being a great player to practice and learn with.

JD was on a list of my own creation. I felt with the map changes, that Blaise was not as strong as the round 1 shots are a bit harder to orchestrate. A minor change, but enough for me to explore things not as silly as “shoot a door so hard i look at your hand.” The list is:

2 Elite ISB

2 Elite Stormtrooper

2 Officer

Rule by Fear

Zillo technique

2x cross training

This list is similar to the one that I’m playing, but the command deck goes deeper into the spy synergies with cards like Strategic Shift and Data Theft. If I didn’t know this list and deck intimately, I would definitely hate to go up against it unaware.

In the semifinals of the Tulsa regional in the spring I had conceded to JD to let him have a chance to take it down. JD was gracious and repaid the favor by conceding here to give us some time to think and relax. As we were the only two 4-0, the concession was still a guaranteed top 8, and likely 1-2 seed anyway. Not to bring up old pain points, but at least the intentional draw shared the points!

4-0

After some BBQ and a short break, we’re back to play out the cut. A bit of breakdown for the cut for those interested:

Top 4 seeds were Dallas, with the rest from Austin/San Antonio. Good showing for my local meta!

Here’s the sad news (coming from someone who loves all factions and diversity in high level play):

7 of the 8 were imperial stormtrooper based lists. JD was the 2nd seed, so we’re on opposite sides of the bracket. 3rd seed is Tim on snowtroopers, and 4th seed was the lone rebel player, James. I didn’t play James but I believe he was on the list that Desmond played at worlds. 5th seed was the same list I was playing, 6th and 7th on assorted Elite and Regular troopers, and 8th seed was Colby. There were a couple of mercenary lists, but unfortunately, the highest was the 9th seed.

As 1st seed, I drew Colby in the first round of the cut.

Quarterfinals (Lair of the Dianoga)

The bantha map didn’t get drawn for the first 4 rounds, so its back to back in the dianoga’s lair. Colby is on a unique list, similar to what he piloted to top 8 in the last regional at Austin:

Tank

2x Elite stormtrooper

2x Stormtrooper

Colby takes initiative and leaves me with the old cantina deployment zone. I know that the blaise shot is important here to take away reinforcements or grenadier, so I start with elite stormtroopers shooting the dianoga and then blaise. I’m able to rip a reinforcements from him and then proceed to see a spectacle. My dice went cold and with blaise and 6 elite stormtroopers, I did a total of 4 damage to the dianoga. Meanwhile, Colby’s are red hot. 3 damage from regular storms, and 7 from the elite storms. I stop trying to shoot the dianoga as I want to try to deny the finishing blow. Colby moved into the hallway with some regular storms, so I took the heavies down the hallway. I definitely don’t favor playing regular storms. Being able to just shoot them all and kill them in one shot is rough.

At the beginning of the second round, Colby was able to finish off the Dianoga with a 9 damage shot from the tank and I lose the fight 21-4. The good news for me is that at the end of the first round, the dianoga nailed 4 elites and the tank for one damage, meaning the grenade I dropped for 3 damage on most of those targets was a huge boon. Colby made a good reaction moving the tank in order to block my shots to the damaged ones. Again, cold dice, even with rerolls left me with only finishing off one storm trooper with 3 shots with it already at 4 damage and no zillo. Nobody said it would be easy!

With blaise, I was able to know all the hidden information and was able to play just the board. I ended up finishing off the elite stormtroopers with some double moves of stormtroopers to pincer around the side and middle. I only lost the heavy stormtroopers after the major objective loss I had.

40-29, on to semifinals.

Semifinals (One Man’s Trash):

My favorite match of the day. This round is against Robert. Robert is on the same list that I am, and we actually spoke for a while at the end of round two about his dislike for the bantha and the blaise list.

His list:

Scroll up, same as mine! Mirror Match.

I again start in the same deployment zone as last round. I setup this time to feign opening the door with the heavies, and get to work on the door to the crates immediately. As I thankfully rolled the win on initiative, I was able to act first in the spy v spy blaise-off. I start with the cross trained trooper to shoot the door, and use intelligence leak. I started this way to have a better idea of what to do with blaise. I see 2 reinforcements, intel leak, and change of plans. I take the reinforcements and eat the two damage. I knowingly leave the intel leak behind with comm disruption, reinforcements and I think jump jets in hand. If he activates blaise and takes the reinforcements from me, then we are on even ground and i still have a comm disrupt for the other reinforcements. He goes with blaise and shoots the door. I show the hand and he gets rid of my comm disruption with his other reinforcements. The mental fatigue can be real after these matches. I asked him if he wanted to use intel leak before he passed back to me and he decided he wanted to wait to use it. I then immediately activated blaise and used jump jets to take away the intel leak. I knew it was a brutal line to take after his mistake, but we’re in the semifinals of a regional, and I have to play towards victory. I felt bad, but I did try to be a friendly player and remind him that he could play it then.

I didn’t get a good feel for his background in the game, but he played very cleverly with the officers and blocked very well. I personally think this game is about being a great defensive, controlling player, not just about getting aggressive and chucking dice. This game felt like a heavyweight bout swapping hay-makers. I decide to be more of an aggressor in the middle and go after the crates while taking shots. I end up getting blasted with the heavies. Great reroll for Robert into surge was brutal. He uses change of plans and I then realize that I’m about to lose an entire squad to what is likely a grenade drawn at the end of the first round. My intuition turned out to be correct and by moving an officer up and moving one of the squad’s troopers back behind kept him alive. Sadly, not for long. The heavies toss the said grenade and after going into the tank for a bit, he decides to move up further to shoot the officer protecting the stormtrooper that lived. Once again, the surge reigns supreme wiping the officer and the full squad of storms. I was able to officer move the heavy around the corner that was hidden from blaise to chase down the last storm of his cross trained squad with lock on in hand in case of a dodge. Robert reads my play correctly, but unfortunately couldn’t get his officers far enough to protect him and I wipe the squad.

As i mentioned earlier, it appeared as though I was going to make a play for the terminal behind the doors, but after seeing 2 of his 3 elite storms go in, I pulled away from the door and left them stranded. The amount of extra movements and actions that Robert would have to spend to come around the backside would be too much time wasted, so I need to capitalize. As soon as one of his activations touched one of those troops, I activated my cross trained troopers into the middle to start grabbing up more crates and moving towards the terminal instead of my deployment zone where his troops were headed. We trade some potshots back and forth in the middle, and I realize that I’m sitting on 12 points worth of crates in two turns and slowly shoot and move my way towards the terminal while taking out his last heavy with my way-too-late-to-the-party grenade and shot, and swing the last 20 points at the end of the round.

40-29. On to the finals.

Finals (To Your Stations!)

I usually play very quickly. The last round being a slug-fest led me to almost to time, so I knew immediately after finishing that my finals opponent would be none other than J.D.. I posted his list earlier under round 4. This was an interesting matchup for many reasons. We’ve split most of our matches historically, but this was by far the greatest stakes for us to play. I’ve been going back and forth between about 7 different lists the past 3 weeks getting ready for the regional. One of those lists that I feel is well-poised to beat any list in the meta is the list that I recommended to JD to play at Worlds and he liked it enough to take it to this tournament. I knew I had no easy task before me. That said, even I lost, there’s not many other people I’d rather beat me. Plus my list would be winning, so win-win!!

To the match.

This was the equivalent of speed chess. I know his list in and out, including command cards. I also have played him more than anyone, so we play possibly the fastest match I’ve ever played. I position properly with heavies to entice shots there and I’m ok to lose them. He also knows they have to die or I start the blast train. He makes a move to the bottom two stations and I double move my cross trained storms up to the top turret to contest and setup for a good chance in the next round. I swipe a reinforcements out of hand and see no comm disrupt or grenade. But, we both draw two cards and I draw into my grenade. I go into the tank and weigh some thoughts. If i don't act with blaise first, I can’t steal the comm disruption he might have drawn. If he drew the grenade, I’m going to get hit hard. If he drew intel leak, he could steal my grenade. I decide to make use of my grenade while I can instead of making the blaise play. Whoops!

Jd activates his storms that were contesting with my cross trained troops and plays grenade, data theft. His two drawn cards were data theft and grenade! What a beatdown. So I lose all three troopers at once to two grenades. I nNever got to shoot with them and never got to roll one of the white die that is oh-so-juicy against anything that rolls surge for +2. I played great players all day, and both my other matches in the cut were brutal starts that I had to persevere and come back from. You can’t come this far to let such a rough turn of events stop you from trying.

I finish off one of his elite storm activations and snag one of the ISBs. I also position to contest his terminal to shut off the oppressive command cards he might draw. JD didn’t draw into comms or negation and I take initiative, wiping another ISB. (again, kill acts of storms, not singular). With both ISB activations being crippled, I take out the officer. I’m down to a stormtrooper squad, blaise, and officers, with JD being down to officers and storms. The storms were still near the top turret, so I made a move to the bottom and killed one officer controlling a station and shoot the other to put 1-2 damage on it depending on JD’s use of zillo. He didn’t see at that second that I was aiming to finish it with the turret as it was the last act of the round, so he correctly did not spend the card as it wouldn’t have mattered. I only get the 3 points, but get 2 more for finishing off the officer. It would have been 8 had I gotten the kill there. JD is left with just the stormtroopers at the start of his turn. He decided to activate troopers to take what he can get with 3 shots instead of passing and risking losing one. He takes out the elite heavy, but as I take out the last remaining ISB hiding by the terminal, I simply do nothing with the remaining activations and get the 6 remaining points needed at the end of the round.

40-24, Champion!

If you’ve read this far, I’d like to share a few thoughts that can hopefully help anyone hoping to go make their mark and participate in a tournament of this caliber.

First of all, Blaise is what I feel is a necessary evil with the state of the game currently. Stormtroopers oppressiveness is not the rerolls. We have tough luck. It isn’t really the reinforcements and grenadier. We have comm disruption and intelligence leak. We have tons of pierce the we can overwhelm zillo with. To me, its the ability to deny points, be consistent on attack, hide and reinforce, and ultimately deny points. It is the sum of all of these things that leads to the tough matches playing anything that isn’t the stormtrooper.

Here’s how you can have a better matchup against stormtroopers:

The list I played is able to consistently check their hand and take away reinforcements. It can intelligence leak their grenades. It plays the same game, but with the tools to fight back. Lock on with heavy to take away the dodge from cross trained troopers. Blaise every turn until he dies is more information and more opportunities to take away the reinforcements. You’re playing two spies to comm disrupt the reinforce if they draw it at the end of the round. Unfortunately, you’re employing the same tactics.

So you don’t want to play stormtroopers? That’s fine. HK’s are great at stopping the dodge, and can roll the 6-7 damage needed to get through zillo (Focused as they usually should be if you’re playing them in a list). Bantha is great at stepping all over them. Crush into jundland with grislly contest can one shot luke (which happened in round 4 at this tournament).

Elite rebel troopers can outrange, and pierce every time. Zillo can only exhaust once.

Don’t want to play bantha? Don’t want to play merc’s/hk’s? Don’t like elite rebel troopers need to stay in the same spot? If you’re not playing any of the above, you’re likely to be playing less figures than most stormtrooper lists. You need to make your shots worth it. Make it a mini-game. Make your rounds a game to see if you can maneuver and kill the whole activation in one round. Don’t give them the opportunity to hide or reinforce. Wait to use activation that can take those shots until they’ve moved. Don’t let them have the opportunity to run away with the last guy. Accept that you might take a shot you don’t want to to get deep into their territory to make sure you finish the activation, period. Its so much easier to kill 6 stormtroopers than 8, always. You can also manage the focused shots you'll take depending on when you make your move.

JD is a long time trooper player and this advice comes from many, many games against different flavors. When 87.5% of the cut is stormtroopers, you need to be ready to play against them. Different metas are always going to yield different lists, but troopers are too good to not see at all.

Also, I’d like to stress the importance of straying from the path that promo is leading us down. I know that nobody likes to listen to people talk about “well back in this game or that game”, but its important to make the reference. I played a lot of MTG and tracking your life total and your opponents life total is mandatory. Failure to maintain the state can lead to warnings and eventually game loss. Keeping track of every point change and both player totals is commonplace. In several store championships and regionals, I can not remember a single instance of my opponent keeping track of my point total in the game. I’ve seen various life counters from Star Wars LCG dials, to LOTR LCG dials, to damage placed out in front, to the new ones made by FFG as prize support.

I have in front of me as I wrote all of this, the notepads of every game with every point change. I can look back and remember when and what was killed, but most importantly when it was objectives versus kills. This not only helps me at looking back and thinking about the games, but it provides me with knowledge. I know at all times what point total my opponent is at. I don’t have to ask. I can quickly do the math with what objectives are left, and what units and activations I have left and which are activated and which are not. It gives me insight into what my opponents plans will be. It is very easy to get wrapped up in what we are doing on a specific turn to the point that we forget to play command cards. I know that an opponents point total is towards the bottom of the list, but think about it this way. The less hidden information there is, the more you can react to what they’re doing. Having a better idea of what your opponent is likely to do several activations from now hidden information that you now have slight access to. You have to remember that what your opponent is going to do is hidden information. Thinking about what you would do in their place is derived information and so important in determing how to use your activations.

Hidden information leads me towards my final point. Variance in games helps level the playing field. There are several great articles online about variance and playing the different levels of variance. There are some things that you can not control in this game. You ca nott ultimately control dice rolls. You can not ultimately control command cards. Some games you don’t draw the cards that make your list tick. I’ve had games with the bantha that I’ve started with fleet, rally, urgency in hand. If only I could mulligan that hand into three new cards, I’d have a better chance of winning that game. I lost 17 points in difference agains the dianoga over dice rolls, and that was with my own rerolls.

This game is very unique in analyzing after the fact. We can so easily get wrapped up in blaming dice rolls. “If I only rolled this one side on the dice, I’d have had that game!” “If only you hadn’t rolled the 3 on the trample!” There is a lot of variance. We can’t control what we can’t control. What we can do, is manage what we can control. If we were to play games with no command decks, there’d be a different set of lists as a lot of synergies would be gone. Ive done this a lot in teaching the game, and its a great way to focus on the fundamentals. This game is ultimately a tactical game! Making the right decisions on when to activate what can’t accurately be reviewed if you aren’t recording the game or you have perfect recollection of every step of the way.

If you don’t want to deal with bad beats and tough variance, you can play lists that minimize aspects of the variance.

Stormtroopers smooth dice.

Blaise lets you see all of the command cards, even if you aren’t taking them away. Knowledge of hidden info removes variance.

Heavy stormtroopers are much much better units with surges. Blaise hide triggers and target computer decreases variance in ability to blast.

I’d strongly recommend playing this list to get a feel for playing with less variance. Play without command cards. Record games. Focus on your decision making and accept variance. Learn to live with the variance and become a better tactician. Don't fall into the traps of blaming the variance afterward. Somewhere in most games, there was a tactical decision made by your opponent that was better than you expected. Find those moments. Think about how you could have seen it coming or how you could have reacted differently. Hopefully this advice helps. I can’t claim to be an amazing player, but I have had great success in my time playing and I hope to prove myself on the larger stages in the coming year. Hopefully this can spark some interesting discussion.

Edited by Pikachewbacca

Awesome read! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I really appreciate the insight at the end. This is a completely different game without the Command Deck, and almost all synergy is lost without it, but it can give players a "clearer" understanding of what units excel at on their own,

Nice write up. JD took me out in the round of 8. This Dallas crew is very good and all great dudes, too. We were pleased that our fledgling Austin squad got 3 into the top 8. See you next time.

That's a great point about Agent Blaise as a counter to a Trooper-heavy meta.  Blaise was in the winning squad at GenCon, at Worlds, and now at the TX Regional.  

We senses a trend here.  Yes, yes we does, precious!

So it seems like a lot of Imperial squads will start with this as a BASE (lol)...

9 Elite Stormtroopers

9 Elite Stormtroopers

6 Agent Blaise

1 Zillo Technique

...yeah, that's 25 points out of 40 right there...

Obviously that will make for some variations, but still, that's pretty tight.  There is variation in how much of this base people will use in their squads, but I do think it's interesting how significant each of these elements is.

So it seems like a lot of Imperial squads will start with this as a BASE (lol)...

9 Elite Stormtroopers

9 Elite Stormtroopers

6 Agent Blaise

1 Zillo Technique

Should Rule By Fear also be considered part of the base? I don't remember the GenCon list off the top of my head, but the synergy with Blaise seems to be important in the early game for this list archetype. 

9 Elite Stormtroopers

9 Elite Stormtroopers

6 Agent Blaise

1 Zillo Technique

Should Rule By Fear also be considered part of the base? I don't remember the GenCon list off the top of my head, but the synergy with Blaise seems to be important in the early game for this list archetype. 

Good point.  If so, then you've really got 14pts to work with....  Ugh.  But I'm not sure that RbF is quite as essential to the squad as those other 25pts.  Regardless, it's worth a very serious consideration, given what you point out here.

My list was the following: 

2x Elite Stormtrooper

1x Elite Heavy Stormtrooper

Agent Blaise

2x Imperial Officer

Rule By Fear

Zillo Technique

Rule by Fear

Targeting Computer

I think I see a problem here: Rule by Fear is Unique...you can't have 2 copies in your squad.   :(

Rule%20by%20Fear.jpg

In that case, it seems like your squad wasn't entirely legal.  [And since you're not Darth Sidious, you can't say "I will make it legal"...]

I'm sure that is not the only typo above. My apologies.

No apologies necessary!  lol  

So did you have 2x Rule by Fear in your squad?  That's more the reason I asked it, because the answer to that question would have impact on a number of other things.

So did you have 2x Rule by Fear in your squad?  That's more the reason I asked it, because the answer to that question would have impact on a number of other things.

I edited it above. I did not play more than 40 points as you are insinuating.

I don't think he noticed that it would have been over 40 points. I read that he noticed it was a unique and can't be double played. Which I'm pretty confident someone would have actually noticed at the tourney.

Anyways, it was definitely an easy typo in the original post.

I wanted to post a report as well and confirm some of the things that OP posted. I'm Tim, made it to Top4 and played against OP in Round 3 and practiced with him ahead of time.

I echo the shout out to Mothership in Austin, was a nice environment and everyone was friendly and in good spirits even in defeat.

My deployment list was the following:

eSnowtrooper

eStormtrooper

+Cross-Training

eStormtrooper

eISB Infiltrator

Imperial Officer

Zillo Technique

Rule by Fear

Command Deck:

Grenadier

Comm Disruption

Reinforcements

Reinforcements

Hit and Run

Intelligence Leak

Negation

Rank and File

Strategic Shift

Tough Luck

Disorient

Element of Surprise

Planning

Take Initiative

Urgency

Notes on the list:

I was really trying to play things outside of troopers in the weeks leading up to the tournament. For a bit I was on Boba, Blaise, eISB, eISB, Officer, Officer, Zillo, RbF, TA. I tried switching Boba to Inquisitor+eProbe. I tried a few different variations of Heroic Effort lists. I tried some Scum lists that brought in eEchos and Gideon with a variety of other units. I tried to make Trando's great again. Consistency was the issue. To a turning point I would do well, and then troopers would just overtake and overrun. Comfortably making it into the Top8 was my goal of the tournament, stretch-goal being T4. Trophy if magic happened.

So I settled. Imp. Troopers earlier this year in the Ft. Worth Regional got me to Top4 going out against OP on Rebel Troopers. Spies added a whole new dimension to make the great greater. Snows--as OP alluded to--are great with Zillo. They were my MVPs of the day on my side of the board. They are so damned hard to kill and many times are left on one or two HP only to get healed up with recovery gear. On Dianoga in Top8 they effectively won the game for me which we will get to in a bit. Cross-Training is a game changer. I generally went with roll Black. White die was reserved for certain cases: Anything rolling >=3 dice on attack or HP < 3. ISB group + CT'd Storms gave me two spy groups for Comm Disruption which would take care of reinforcements--my main concern. With the snows, I felt like I could soak the grenade so I wasn't that concerned at getting to three spy groups. The main concern that I had with the list going into the tournament is I really don't like playing under six act. Five activations feels much less flexible than six. I postulated dropping the spies out of the list and going to a six act double eSnow just for that case however I hadn't practiced it and felt like the practice would help more in the long run.

Round 1: (Constant Motion)

Opponent: Jason N.

List:

Bantha Rider

HK Assassin Droid

eTusken Raider

Nexu

Hired Gun

Gideon Argus

C-3P0

Beast Tamer

Devious

Temporary Alliance

Command Deck (Speculation): Crush, Grisly Contest, Jundland Terror x2, Ferocity, Field Tactician, Negation, Roar, Single Purpose, Survival Instincts, Element of Surprise, Opportunistic, Planning, Rally, Urgency

I'm not sure about Roar, but I think I saw all the others. Jason and I play many games together and practiced with each other pretty regularly in the weeks leading up to the event. He was on a slump and decided on Bantha at OPs suggestion. For two weeks, he played nothing else and was beating me pretty consistently though the games were close. I really didn't want to face him in the first round, specifically on Constant Motion where the corridor is the key to the game and the Bantha is pure disrupt of the corridor.

I had been playing the match fairly directly recently and just rushing the corridor to success, but knowing the Bantha's ability to get in there and muck everything up I played a different strategy. Turn one I spent positioning, knowing the extent of the Bantha's reach and that it would be in my grill at the end. I also knew I would need command cards so I went to the top of the map which is something I normally don't even worry about on Constant Motion. This drew the Nexu and a Hired Gun out. Also knowing that the focused HK's were the real threat to my list. I drew the Bantha into the center instead of the corridor turn one. Success.

Turn Two, the Bantha goes again and does Bantha things. I saw an opening to put a grenade on the HKs and went for it. Rolled 1, sigh. Still all good. The Bantha had already gone, the HKs were unfocused as Gideon and 3P0 hadn't acted yet. I could swarm with squads. Kept going in and I picked off the Nexu, a Hired gun, and an HK. I was feeling good about the game and kept pressing, mostly ignoring the Bantha as I was fairly spread out except in one place. That one place came back to bite me in the butt on turn three. Bantha, single purpose, trample 3 damage, trample 3 damage. 2 Snows and a Storm down. 20 pt swing Jason's way. At this point we are at 38-36 in my favor. I don't remember the specifics of the end game, but I'm pretty sure my officer focused on a shot to the Bantha end of turn three and then killed Jason's Gideon on turn four.

1-0

Round 2: (Reconnaissance)

Opponent: Hunter

List:

eStormtrooper

eStormtrooper

Snowtrooper

Heavy Stormtropper

+Targeting Computer

Probe Droid

Imperial Officer

Imperial Officer

Zillo Technique

Not sure on command deck other than the usual trooper stuff.

Closest match of the day by far. It ended 40-39 in my favor. It came down to camera spots as my dice had turned off and I had to not rely on killing things. Snowtroopers worked really well by allowing me to ignore opposing figures for movement and get best camera placements. 20+ of my points came off of cams. It was a usual trooper fight other than that. I remember my grenade only rolled a 1 again (6 figures in blast) and his Snows quickly removed the damage. I don't really remember the round to round specifics, but I had a really hard time killing the Heavies even at close range. The last turn cam placement pushed him to 39 and me to 40. He was on initiative so he would have won the tiebreaker if he could have gotten one more unit in sight.

2-0

Round 3: (To Your Stations!)

I played against OP (see his post for lists [subtract one Rule by Fear obviously] and details from his perspective). 

I agree with most of what Brad said other than the nickname. He definitely outmaneuvered me in the match. I also made some rash decisions which were errors. I tossed my grenade at a lone Heavy trooper on one HP to ensure the kill of the group rather than holding it to throw at a better target. Blaise was already dead so I was pretty sure it couldn't be countered or forced to discard. 

2-1

Round 4: (Fallout)

Opponent: Don

List:

(I could be mistaken here, but this is what I think it was--I was really hungry and the rounds were starting to run together)

eSnowtrooper

eStormtrooper

eStormtrooper

Probe Droid

Probe Droid

Imperial Officer

Imperial Officer

Zillo Technique

Rule by Fear

My opponent openly stated that this was his first tournament and he almost played the exact same list I was on, but he wasn't as comfortable with the spy stuff yet. There were some mistakes made that confirmed this. I'm only remembering a few things from the game but at the end of round one he exploded both probes in a group of troopers by the center terminal. They did three damage total to each unit and my first activation next turn was eSnow to heal it up. But that is a six point swing in my favor with no losses. I also started on the side of the map with easier access to two droids and turned in 18 pts on round three. 24 points without killing anything myself is awesome. From there I just started to harass and he kept in and near his deployment zone instead of pushing in. Eventually enough was killed to push me over 40. I think it was 40-21 in the end.

3-1

Strength of Schedule pushed me to seed third. Huzzah, dice set complete.

Top8: (Dianoga)

Opponent: Hunter

List: see above (Rd. 2)

My same opponent from round two 40-39 victory. I knew it was going to be a close game again as my Dianoga game is rather slow and he had Computer Heavies. The great thing about eSnows is that not only do they move freely in the muck, but they can tank the Dianoga if they aren't pressured. They weren't pressured. Heal/Shoot. Average 1-2 damage going in because of [~ pierce 2]. I was really lucky that he had a turn where his heavies both were a step out of position and missed range on the Dianoga. Dianoga points went 19-6 in my favor before anything full unit was killed, but I ran both of my eStorm groups to the far terminal and oppressed the outside of the map and shot into his deployment zone. Eventually I took down enough to points out. I think the final was 40-28 or somewhere near there.

Top4: (One Man's Trash) -- AKA Cool Ass Dial Achievement Unlocked.

Opponent: JD

List: see OPs post

I feel like tired-head really got me in this game. I made a number of play mistakes and it was still really close. For one, I thought with the eSnows I could fast track crate pickup and score quick. I gave up a few shots for crates early and it came to bite me in the ass. I got an eStorm squad down fairly early with a grenade and some shots so I got a bit big headed. I probably also did some activations out of order. JD sent an eStorm squad down the hallway and I did pretty well against them with the eISBs, but could never secure the whole group. Then I activated my Storm groups out of order which led to the last guy in the CT'd group dying before he could act--the other would have probably survived to the ISB that came down. It still ended up being a really close game and JD is a good player so I went into it thinking it was a crapshoot.

Overall the event was a good time. I'll try to come back and post some overall thoughts on the game later like Brad did.

Edited by Palimpsest

Round 4: (Fallout)

Opponent: <will update when I have my score sheet in front of me, Tony maybe?>

That was me, Don. You got my list right. By that point in the tourney not only was I outmatched I was kind of drained mentally. I didn't really think fatigue would hit me that hard. I never really had a plan in that game, I just remember being way too timid and realizing the game was pretty much unsalvageable by round 2. I don't think I got any higher than the low teens in points against you.

I made the cut and played a little better against JD but still got beat up.

It really was a lot of fun. Hopefully we'll meet again in another tournament. I'll keep practicing. Thanks to all of you guys for the tips and especially for being gracious winners.

I'm sorry, I was certainly not trying to imply deception of any sort on your part.  [i didn't add up the points either.]  I was more concerned about how things would've changed if you were using and benefiting from 2x Rule by Fear in your squad: that would mean a lot more card draw and therefore more currency for Blaise to use for forcing the discards.  But it doesn't seem like this was the case, so it's all good.

Anyway, congrats again!  As I said in another post in this thread, your comments have really given me some good things to think about in a trooper-heavy meta.  It's great to read these detailed play reports from the top finishers--already 2 from this single tournament!