Sign in to follow this  
Dicetales

how much deck building is there in the core?

how much deck building is there in the core?

again only a few plays in .. but getting say 5 xp in the 1st encounter.. is more then enough!? getting 6 in the second..  ... may be im i pricing card wrong?  1 xp per pip? or i'm just wait for bigger cards in expansions.. 

seem like only about 3 cards to swap in or upgrade? i've never had a good deck building eye to be honest.. i like it if its this simple.. i assume the deluxe and mythos packs will come with expensive alternatives..

maybe the core is similar to RTL rise of goblins e.g very short.. compared to the deluxe boxes and cycles...

e.g Roland i foresee getting an elder sign card and upgrading beat cop? then maybe the cop badge?  what are the other alternatives?

i don't see the point of a 2nd core at this point other then more players

so playing Wendy and Agnes togther might be a poor choice in 1 core .. but double in 2 core.. if im not W and A could i just take a tome of another character.. e.g Roland doesnt use his tomes  much so far.. losing the librarian and 2 tomes might make him more focused 

actually i'm seeing it now.. he'd get 2nd "practiced skills card" instead  .. hummm.. only one of those in the core right? i assume this applies to all characters they get a good 2nd one in the core card...bit like netrunner and its its consoles..

yes in lotr i liked having 3 deck ready quest available. good point

Edited by milarky

Realistically, youd want 4 cores if you plan to have more then 2 decks around. Or are lazy and don't want to build /swap cards around.

As it stands right now, with 2 cores you cant even have all 5 starter decks built. Youd need 3 cores to do that.

A 4th core gives you 2 playsets, (4 of every card). Which might be favorable if you want to really optimize your decks and have 5 decks at once to pick from.

Fairly tricky of FFG, as on the surface it looks like 2 core if you want options, when really it doesent give you much options.

Realistically, youd want 4 cores if you plan to have more then 2 decks around. Or are lazy and don't want to build /swap cards around.

As it stands right now, with 2 cores you cant even have all 5 starter decks built. Youd need 3 cores to do that.

A 4th core gives you 2 playsets, (4 of every card). Which might be favorable if you want to really optimize your decks and have 5 decks at once to pick from.

Fairly tricky of FFG, as on the surface it looks like 2 core if you want options, when really it doesent give you much options.

Two core sets is plenty of options if you aren't trying to provide cards for everybody at the table, and even then you could probably build four solid decks.

2 coreset is optimum for the moment because you'll want to have two copies of some cards (which is the limit). For example, I think roland doesn't care two have two times the .45 cal. or two of his revolver, but having two first aid, two dynamites, two dodge is way more important.

or two of his revolver

Confirmed by design team that you can't have 2x unique character assets.

seems legit. is it mentionned somewhere in the rulesbook ?

there is not much in between deck building but also remember when "upgrading cards" in certain circumstances I have found it extremely useful to buy two of the same card to allow it to show up more often than not, once I got both cores first play thru with Roland I took both extra ammunition and in the following game was allowed to use my firearms with far less worry about ammo, because about 3 turns in my extra ammo card came up.  It helps to include two copies of an upgrade just so you are more likely able to draw it

or two of his revolver

It's not, but in future printings those cards will have no 'pip' spaces and will instead have the same cost icon as story assets like Lita Chantler.

or two of his revolver

It's not, but in future printings those cards will have no 'pip' spaces and will instead have the same cost icon as story assets like Lita Chantler.

The rules do say that you must follow the deckbuilding rules on the back of the player cards exactly, and those say to include one copy of the player specific cards.

or two of his revolver

The rules do say that you must follow the deckbuilding rules on the back of the player cards exactly, and those say to include one copy of the player specific cards.

I'm sorry Holysorcerer but I speak a bad english. For me when I readed "unique character assets" I believed it applied to all unique assets, not only some specifics.

The nine character specific unique cards. Can have 2 in deck but only 1 in play (from all players). I was very happy when I found that.

You can't

The answer given by Matthew Newsman is reported here: http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33253-frequently-asked-questions-check-here-first-please/

Here it is:

4) Investigator-specific cards
- Can I include a second copy as part of my standard 30 cards deck? It's basically a normal neutral card, the only restriction being which investigator can include it in a deck. I didn't find any rule that would explicitly prohibit this.

You cannot. It’s not technically a normal neutral card, since it has no level. Roland, for example, can include level 0-5 neutral cards, but cards with no level at all can only be included if something explicitly allows you to (in this case, the Deckbuilding Requirements section of his card). Same goes for scenario specific story-assets; if you earn a specific asset thanks to a particular scenario resolution, you can’t include a second copy of that asset by purchasing another copy of that expansion.

(Note: the templating of investigator-specific cards printed in the core set is actually identical to that of normal level 0 neutral cards, i.e. the area for xp pips is still present under the cost. This will be fixed in future printings of the core set to to use the same templating as story assets.)

As someone who doesn't have a lot of money would it be fine just to own one set of Core and then buy expansions? I find it annoying you practically only get cards for starter decks.. Is there any cards you can upgrade and cards you can buy in Core Set? Or is it just enough for a starter deck and can't really utilize the char progression Arkham is trying hardcore to provide...?

As someone who doesn't have a lot of money would it be fine just to own one set of Core and then buy expansions? I find it annoying you practically only get cards for starter decks.. Is there any cards you can upgrade and cards you can buy in Core Set? Or is it just enough for a starter deck and can't really utilize the char progression Arkham is trying hardcore to provide...?

If you are playing solo, you will probably struggle with just 1 core (at least until you have some expansions). And solo or not, there is really much deck building you can do - for Roland, there are only a total of 34 cards he can use in a single core set, and its similar for the other investigators too.

If playing with 2 players, I think it will be easier as you can cover more bases and shore up each other's weak areas.