Darthain

Darthain's finaggled shipyard (we can change titles now!)

So I layed down an orange, and it was soft and pinky and terrible.  So I decided to drop trans orange over them to kind of candy coat, yeah... About that.  Took some fixing to get the acceptable, the As and Vcx naturally were only coated orange on orange.

wz9BvoW.jpg

hPo8LDb.jpg

CzCqrPD.jpg

vD8MyP8.jpg

Also a work in progress of a gladiator I am tediously working through with glazes to ease shade transitions, not sure I'm convinced yet, definitely not a blend method I'm enjoying.

mGEUZTe.jpg

46 minutes ago, Dedmanzhand said:

Your shading on that GSD is unreal!

Thanks Dedmanz,  it was an experiment in various techniques before I do something larger, like say... an ISD.  I think I settled on something that works really well and has good return on time. 

1 hour ago, Darthain said:

Thanks Dedmanz,  it was an experiment in various techniques before I do something larger, like say... an ISD.  I think I settled on something that works really well and has good return on time. 

as a man who's painted more orc(k)'s  over the last few year's than any sane man ever should, I appreciate this statement so much  :)

On 4/4/2017 at 11:08 PM, Darthain said:

I've taken real pictures of my ISD mulligan on highlighting, as well as the liberty, lancers, and decimators!. 

But I haven't processed them yet.  Here are some pics of an arquittens I painted yesterday/today.  A bit of a style departure, and a lot more effort than I usually put into gradients and blending, hey I blended (that's different!)

qRyCnvU.jpg

28lIMF2.jpg

ew74BZz.jpg

The Centauri have arrived. :D

Go Londo!

I'm usually not a fan of purple at least not in this genre but I have to say you have an imaginative talent.  That Gladiator is beautiful and very surreal!  I'll probably look at that pic a lot because it just captivates. 

1 hour ago, WGNF911 said:

I'm usually not a fan of purple at least not in this genre but I have to say you have an imaginative talent.  That Gladiator is beautiful and very surreal!  I'll probably look at that pic a lot because it just captivates. 

That means it's working.  I'm glad enjoy these, the colour choice is quite polarizing though, I do realize.  It is either A) space ships shouldn't be purple B) Imperial ships require to be boring grey/white because canon or C) you truly are a maniac  :D

I should snap the MC30c tomorrow, it is only orange/grey, so not nearly as crazy.   The ISD has... a lot of work left...

Edited by Darthain

14 hours ago, Darthain said:

So I hear you guys like Chimaeras, how bout Phoenixes? (this is WIP)

vhGjI1p.jpg?1

The rough stencil, this didn't work that well... tracing on these things and stencils is always a disaster, oversized, blah.  It did give some slight proportion though.

rnzsnJn.jpg?2

jKB8JUK.jpg?2

I totally owned a 91 Pontiac Firebird with the "screaming chicken" on the hood. Man that was a sharp car... Flame Torch Red paint, black trim, and a gold hawk on the hood.

2 hours ago, Stasy said:

I totally owned a 91 Pontiac Firebird with the "screaming chicken" on the hood. Man that was a sharp car... Flame Torch Red paint, black trim, and a gold hawk on the hood.

My father had a sly blue one with a red bird, was slick.  But yeah, definitely see the unconscious similarity here, and it is awesome.

Edited by Darthain

47 minutes ago, herod1204 said:

I really like the Phoenix ISD... but please tell me that any other Brits present on this thread thought it was the Liberal Democrat symbol?

I need to finish that before store champ season. I won't win, but I'll look fantastic.

1 hour ago, herod1204 said:

I really like the Phoenix ISD... but please tell me that any other Brits present on this thread thought it was the Liberal Democrat symbol?

My first thought was 'Oh, the Eastern Roman Eagle! Wait, where's the 2nd head?' Then I read the words and learned it was a Phoenix. . .