Sign in to follow this  
Mon no Oni

"in your location" question

Roland Banks as a few cards with bonus depending on clues on his location. Does this include only undiscovered clues still on the location he is in, or would include unspent clues on his character card, other investigators on the same location, or even on his "cover up" weakness?

In a couple of games of "The Gathering" secenario played I found that, it's only on his location, he is fairly weak by the end of the scenario. Otherwise, it would make sense for him to stock up on clues in order to get a much needed boost to take the final boss.

Edited by Mon no Oni

Both Roland and his gun only count undiscovered clues on his location (not clues discovered, but not yet spent, nor clues on Cover Up). So you'd have to move to a location with clues  to get the bonuses and defeat the boss there (there should be 1 clue per investigator left, and Roland can grab one of them between defeating the boss and ending the scenario). However, I've found the boss very easy to defeat in a solo game with Roland (you just need ways to up your damage), but harder when you add investigators who can't hit much

Yep. That was our problem. With 2 investigators, dealing 10 damage to the boss is doable; however with 4 inv. dealing 20 seems too out of reach, as the rest of the investigators are not great damage dealers beyond the off bonus card. Also the once the 3rd agenda hits you are not fighting where there there are clues left, even if you were to strategically decide to forsake 1 victory point and not to pick them. That's why I was hoping those unspent clues could help... oh, well.

Note with 4 investigators you should be able to stun lock the poor Ghoul Priest without too much problem through evasion (of course, as always, the Chaos Bag has the last laugh!). Once he (it?) is lying there, stunned and exhausted on the floor, you then all just take turns beating the tar out of him.

Evasion is all good and nice, but 20 is a lot of damage and the agenda clock is ticking and if the chaos bag doesn't help you, and you're out of damage bonuses soon you are swamped with even more ghouls that need dealing with... Anyways, the original question is resolved. I just hoped there was an extrategic use for those 2 extra clues you don't need (other than the extra victory point).

Evasion is all good and nice, but 20 is a lot of damage and the agenda clock is ticking and if the chaos bag doesn't help you, and you're out of damage bonuses soon you are swamped with even more ghouls that need dealing with... Anyways, the original question is resolved. I just hoped there was an extrategic use for those 2 extra clues you don't need (other than the extra victory point).

I think those extra two clues being equal to the Victory XP is the point of them -- do you feel comfortable wasting some time in order to give everyone +1 XP. It's a very simple risk/reward test for the party.

I think all the investigators can contribute solid damage.  Skids packs a Machete and .45.  Wendy and Agnes are both pretty wicked with a Baseball Bat.  Agnes should be throwing direct damage from her ability, and Shriveling is a reliable 3 damage plus a good source of horror for her trigger.  It doesn't take many actions hitting at 3 damage each to take him down.  I think it's taken us 3 turns at most over the couple of times we've played it.

Daisy is probably the most limited, I think Shriveling is her only real solid damage option...  but she can hopefully be delving for it with Old Book of Lore throughout.