Sign in to follow this  
JoeyBriefcase

A Change to PWT's

Ahh, more salty tears over PWTs. Haven't we already figured out that they aren't that hard to shut down? Autothrusters, bombs, regen, Zuckuss and Palp; not to mention pilots like Fel or Corran that can solo a falcon...so many answers. PWTs are powerful, but every faction has a good counter for them. There's more balance now than I've seen in this game since Wave 1.

Thank you Futant420 for some positivity! I'm so sick of "nerf" posts!! Yes guilty of still clicking on this on but in all fairness I didn't know it was going to be another "nerf" topic.

Moral of this post

Please STOP posting about Nerfing stuff! Just learn how to fly against it if it's popular in your meta!

Yes, we must all agree to stop posting asking for "nerfs" or "fixes"! FFG does enough of those as is.

Ahh, more salty tears over PWTs. Haven't we already figured out that they aren't that hard to shut down? Autothrusters, bombs, regen, Zuckuss and Palp; not to mention pilots like Fel or Corran that can solo a falcon...so many answers. PWTs are powerful, but every faction has a good counter for them. There's more balance now than I've seen in this game since Wave 1.

Thank you Futant420 for some positivity! I'm so sick of "nerf" posts!! Yes guilty of still clicking on this on but in all fairness I didn't know it was going to be another "nerf" topic.

Moral of this post

Please STOP posting about Nerfing stuff! Just learn how to fly against it if it's popular in your meta!

This.

And also, I feel like many players here lack one important skill to play that game : prioritization.

One of the main goals of a player, before even talking of how you fly your ships on the board, should be analysing your list against the enemy list and prioritize which menace you should get rid of first (and which ship on your side you obviously don't want to loose fast, because you need it for endgame). Achieving that is a key to success, as much as how well you fly your plastic ships.

Edited by Giledhil

There is one case in which I think a change like this would be justified: if it improved the gameplay. As a balance change it's completely unnecessary but if making Range 1 Out of Arc a favourable fire exchange region to the arced ship made turret versus non-turret (or even turret versus turret) gameplay more enjoyable I could see a case for it.

There is one case in which I think a change like this would be justified: if it improved the gameplay. As a balance change it's completely unnecessary but if making Range 1 Out of Arc a favourable fire exchange region to the arced ship made turret versus non-turret (or even turret versus turret) gameplay more enjoyable I could see a case for it.

I think that you hit the nail on the head. Turrets aren't OP, but for some lists it's terribly unfun to play against. I'm not sure that there's a good way to fix that tbh. How can you take a game with asymmetrical mechanics and make it so every matchup is fun and exhilarating? (spoiler: you can't) But, I like where your head's at!

Nope! Watch any real Star Wars movie. Turrets are wickedly awesome. This game is an accurate representation of that fact!

The Millenium Falcon should definitely roll 4 dice at range 1. Probably should roll more. It can quite easily destroy 4 TIEs, as seen in Episode IV!

The ties were under orders to let them escape they were sacrificed so the empire could find the rebels on yavin 4.

Moral of this post

Yeah looking back now, my mind is changed. I probably have had one too many bad tie fighter's vs. falcon games. At least there is some good discussion to come with it.

Perhaps that would justify it but then you run into that big question about what improving gameplay means?

I think the game is much more enjoyable to play when there are ships available that can easily attack targets out of arc.  Sometimes you just want to throw down without having to put a mountain of thought into everything you do.  Then there are those who cry that turrets already "ruin the game" because it makes arc less relevant and that the game is "all about maneuvering around to get that great shot and avoid the enemy's shots."  Those are the people who you see crying about turrets and doing everything they can to promote some kind of nerf to them because they "ruin" what they think the game is supposed to be all about.

Moral of this post

Amen, Amen, Amen. 'Nough said, God bless ^_^.

I think we should stop telling people what it's OK for them to post. Just cos you don't agree with something and are fed up of seeing people talking about it doesn't mean it's crying or whining.

Probably shouldn't censor what people can post although that still doesn't mean they SHOULD be posting it.

It still means that some of those posts ARE crying/whining about various issues even if you happen to agree with them.  This thread may not have started as a whining thread but it certainly references those that are and then goes to offer something to pacify that whining so it is only a step or two away.

I see that a lot of people moping about how mobile-firing arcs should have been implemented in turret ships from the start. I agree that PWT's get too much of an advantage when running away versus single arc ships, but there is an easily FAQ-able answer to this.

Ships with a primary weapon turret may not add their range combat bonus when attacking outside of their firing arc.

I think this would be an easy change that would be well appreciated by most. They still get a range combat bonus, but they have to play by everyone else's rules.

It's not a huge pitfall for turrets, they still get to shoot anywhere which is advantage enough. Plus, with HOTR out and the Upsilon coming up, our beloved PWT's will have plenty of upgrades to make up for this minor nerf.

Would any of you like this change implemented?

Hell NOOOOooooo! Discussed 1 million time.

If FFG has not decided to nerf PWTs until now, (especially when Fat Han won worlds in 2014) then why, WHY would they nerf it now?

It has also become completely unnecessary with every wave adding something new that is as powerful as a PWT but isn't.

If Autothrusters was removed from the game at the same time, then I wouldn't be against a PWT change. As it is, Autothrusters + no range 1 out of arc bonus dice would be a serious buzz-kill.

The Decimator would also probably need a K Turn thrown on its dial, or a 0 pt title granting it one, as it would have no game play vs Autothruster using ships.

The Jumpmaster is probably a bit too cheep.... 

If it is, it's because of the combination of EPT and Torpedo slot on generics, not because of the PWT.

Well as for jumpmasters being so powerful there were several things that added up to a perfect storm. The low pilot skill with an EPT which allows use of the upgrade deadeye removes a lot of the restrictions on torpedoes that made them very poor to begin with. Add in the astromech that puts in the target lock when torpedoes would take it away and it becomes what torpedoes should have been. However much of that has been nerfed and taken away from jumpmasters (deadeye, R4).

So where does the PWT come into play. Well more like if you don't have that power shot you still have a shot even if it is weak. But the 2 PWT was not as threatening as the range 3 torpedo shot with a target lock.

I think we should stop telling people what it's OK for them to post. Just cos you don't agree with something and are fed up of seeing people talking about it doesn't mean it's crying or whining.

While that's true, I think a lot of people come on to these boards after a particularly bad beating on the tabletop with poorly thought out threads calling for nerfs and changes when they're not needed.

For the record, the topic poster here doesn't read as such, but there's definitely an air about some topics that smells of bitterness from defeat.

Its quite rare to have a PWT get range 1 unless he turned into you. It would be more of an inconvenience than a nerf and it wouldnt better the game one bit, since currently the turret issues are secondary weapons not PWT (i dont count the JM5K as a PWT since yes it is one but EVERY build wants you in arc anyway)

I fully expect a Mobile Arc Upgrade Kit to be released at some point anyway. Free mod that allows another mod, the enabling of "in arc" and denying "out of arc" is enough of a boost to any PWT to not change the weapon value. Also more mobile-arc specific upgrades.

Its quite rare to have a PWT get range 1 unless he turned into you. It would be more of an inconvenience than a nerf and it wouldnt better the game one bit, since currently the turret issues are secondary weapons not PWT (i dont count the JM5K as a PWT since yes it is one but EVERY build wants you in arc anyway)

I fully expect a Mobile Arc Upgrade Kit to be released at some point anyway. Free mod that allows another mod, the enabling of "in arc" and denying "out of arc" is enough of a boost to any PWT to not change the weapon value. Also more mobile-arc specific upgrades.

Surely that would only appeal to people

a) who are more interested in challenging themselves than in taking the most powerful squad

or

b) if it made the mobile versions undercosted.

The problem with b goes without saying, and people who are a) aren't going to be swayed unless b).