Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

Milwaukee Regional today, updates as mood permits.

Thing is, you are paying for the chance to play players you normally wouldn't be able to play. I know for a fact the San Diego regional, a good amount of people drove/flew from the bay area, which is normally close to 7 hours travel time. You get to experience different play styles. I can tell you right now, playing against some of the euro players was quite enjoyable at worlds.

Unfortunately as a frequent vassal player that's not a good selling point for me. On vassal I can play people from all over the country and world for free. And many are some of the best players around.

I'm sure it's more worth it for those who don't use vassal but that's not me.

Except vassal isn't the game. If you compare the both they don't achieve the same feel. While yes it is x wing, the table brings much more of a players character out. And to be honest, a good majority of the top players DONT play vassal. Or at least, any more.

And the fact that it incredibly easy to cheat during vassal.

Edited by Hujoe Bigs

Between the cost of the regionals kit, the custom acrylic they had made up for everyone, paying the people running it, rent for the space (or lost revenue if they held it in thier normal store area), I really don't think $30 is that bad. If you think it's too much... maybe don't pay it. Go to a different tourny that day.

Ok.

Anyways... the field was incredibly diverse. I saw several palp+2 ships at higher tables...I say 2 ships because it looked like the 2ships were different at each game...defender and carnor... soontir and something...2 defenders...etc etc.

I only saw one actual dengaroo list being played but there must have been others right? A lot of manaroo plus other stuff.

There was so much variation it's really hard to report anything specific.i hope the store posts top 16 lists to the jugglamacallit ,I'd love to see it myself.

Kinda wanted to go for day two side events but my motivation was defeated by coffee soft music a blanket.

They just played with 14.

I did the first side event and lost bad. My fault for not bringing an optimum list. I knew mass TLT would be best but only brought a single. Lost to two tlt ywings and a tractor bwing.

Doing the second event shortly since I dropped from the first. If I lose I guess my weekend is done.

Player disqualified in Top 16. Mangler Cannon was not on his squad sheet.

For future reference, it sounds like the tourney document says to handle it differently:  

If a leader discovers a player’s squad list missing

appropriate information, he or she should find that player

immediately and update the squad list based on the cards

the player is using. If this would result in a significant and

potentially advantageous change, the leader should consider

investigating for possible cheating.

As the player had 100 points listed on his squad list and seemed to be playing that way based on the streams, the DQ wasn't necessary, unless there was some other additional evidence of cheating.

Edited by AlexW

For future reference, it sounds like the tourney document says to handle it differently:  

If we dont know any details of the incident we should refrain from telling people how it should be handled and trust the organizers judgement.  

If we dont know any details of the incident we should refrain from telling people how it should be handled and trust the organizers judgement.  

First, I did qualify my statement, but I was going off of reports from people at the event and the fact that the reason for the DQ was an error in the squadlist and not cheating.  However, I think it's very important to note the actual tournament regulations either way and that players should not be DQed just for turning in a squad list that has an error.

I was at the Milwaukee Regional yesterday and had an amazing time. Just a few comments on the whole thing:

It was very well run but the $30 entry fee felt a bit steep.

Having a food truck right outside the store was a delicious blessing.

Looking around through the day there was a lot of variety in lists. Palp Aces, Dengaroo, Rebel Regen, Party Bus and friends, Ventress and friends, Duel ARCs with Biggs, Snap-Crackle-Pop A-Wings, a Z-95 swarm, Imperial Aces, Triple Defenders, TLT Y-Wings, Rey Falcons, Han Falcons, and so much more. It was just good to see lots of different lists playing it out. I never had to play against the same list twice.

And as far as I know, out of 80-some people, I was the ONLY ONE who dared to run a Kihraxz Fighter in my list. Talonbane Cobra and Fenn Rau were partners in crime all day with Manaroo backing them up. And my list and performance got me in the top 24. Had I done just a little better in MOV from a couple of my games (such as not being completely obliterated against Palp Aces in round 5, or not losing Talonbane Cobra in the final round) I might have actually made top 16. Which is a complete turnaround for me since the last Regional I was at I went 2-4 with poor games all around. Hooray for improvement!

Home from WI, bit of a trip from Eastern Indiana. Brought the most absurd list I could think of, and had a good showing with it (for my expectations).

I brought Mindlink insanity:

Manaroo - Attanni Minklink, Bossk, Feedback Array
Kaato Leachos - Attanni Mindlink, Cluster Missiles, Chips
Concord Dawn Veteran - Attanni Mindlink, title

Torhil Mux - Dorsal turret, Outlaw Tech

100/100 and went 3-3 for the day.

Lost to a Palp defenders game by a consistently <1/2 shipbase
Won against a Miranda + Lothal w/Munitions
Lost to a Assaj 2TLT list (no surprise)
Won against a Fenn, Party Bus, Palob list
Lost to Corran Miranda (by a surprisingly slim margin)
Won against a dual decimator

Edited by Dudeseph

Mark, if you live anywhere near Appleton we should get some games in sometime. I think we both just need more practice brother.

I'm in Hartland so not that close.

Practice is always good. And believe me I do a lot of it. Which is why it's frusrating to take lists to events I've done a lot of practice with and won a good % of games with and then not do as good as your expectations at a tournament.

I probably should give in one of these times and run a meta list to increase my odds. But I still like flying what I love and showing others how good it can be.

First, I did qualify my statement, but I was going off of reports from people at the event and the fact that the reason for the DQ was an error in the squadlist and not cheating.  However, I think it's very important to note the actual tournament regulations either way and that players should not be DQed just for turning in a squad list that has an error.

According to players from the event he was playing the list at a full 100 points with the Mangler card on the table - no cheating was intended and the player should not have been DQ'd.