Sign in to follow this  
Asokn

Rules Question: why do some locations have a shroud value but no clues?

Hi,

The title says it all really. I was wondering if I had missed a mechanic which involves shroud but it seems to only be for investigating. Is there any point to shroud values in such locations?

Also, if the answer is a story spoiler then please let me know without giving the actual spoiler! Thanks!

As far as I know you can do the investigate action even if there are no clues on a location. Certain cards benefit from this.

Fr example:

Burglary: [Action] Exhaust Burglary: Investigate. If you succeed, INSTEAD of discovering clues, gain 3 resources.

Take care though, this isn't always the case and you have to read the card carefully.

For example:

Cover up: [Reaction] When you WOULD discover 1 or more clues at your location: Discard that many clues from Cover Up instead.

In the latter case, you can't use cover up since you can't satisfy the WOULD prerequisite (since there are no clues).

Edit: for full clarity, there is some discussion going on about cover up and whether or not you can use it if there are no clues on your location. I personally think you can't (based on my answer above and if that isn't enough because of Arkham's razor), but I understand why people disagree.

Edited by StalkinPanda

There's no "discussion" going on about Cover Up, because you can't trigger its reaction in locations with no clues. So, yes, you can only get rid of your Cover Up if you are in a location with clues.

However, back to the main question: locations all have Shroud so you can Investigate in them if you have to, even if there are no clues there. This is for cards such as Burglary (you can totally burgle a clue-empty location), as well as for any other game effects that might call for an investigation there from the Agenda or Act. Remember that while you can always investigate even if there are no clues to be found, not all such investigations can be useful (for instance, due to its wording, Cover Up does nothing if you investigate in a clueless location, even if successful).

There's no "discussion" going on about Cover Up, because you can't trigger its reaction in locations with no clues. So, yes, you can only get rid of your Cover Up if you are in a location with clues.

However, back to the main question: locations all have Shroud so you can Investigate in them if you have to, even if there are no clues there. This is for cards such as Burglary (you can totally burgle a clue-empty location), as well as for any other game effects that might call for an investigation there from the Agenda or Act. Remember that while you can always investigate even if there are no clues to be found, not all such investigations can be useful (for instance, due to its wording, Cover Up does nothing if you investigate in a clueless location, even if successful).

I refer to this thread on bgg when I mentioned the discussion.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1670726/rolands-cover

So saying there is "no discussion going on" is not totally true.

I fully agree with you, I just wanted to mention that there were some people that didn't for the sake of completeness.

Since then, we have received an official response that we are indeed correct and cover up can't be used that way.

However, back to the main question.

This is the 3-4th post I've seen this person make with a condescending answer. I don't get why people get on FAQ/Help forums and burn everyone for their questions/comments. The games hardly been out a weekend. As it turned out there was a "discussion" going on about Cover Up, but I guess since you weren't aware of it it doesn't exist. Get off your high horse. Won't read your reply so don't bother.

This is the 3-4th post I've seen this person make with a condescending answer. I don't get why people get on FAQ/Help forums and burn everyone for their questions/comments. The games hardly been out a weekend. As it turned out there was a "discussion" going on about Cover Up, but I guess since you weren't aware of it it doesn't exist. Get off your high horse. Won't read your reply so don't bother.

I don't get it. You ask a rules question. Someone more knowledgeable than you answers it. You refer to an ongoing discussion between people who asked the same question, and got the same answer. He notes that the discussion has been settled. You did come to the forum to get answers for your rules questions, right?

Edited by mplain