Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

Is Expose Good for Anything?

Railgun Zuckuss is a nice Expose gimmick.

Zuckuss

-Expose

-Experimental Interface

-Advanced Sensors

-K4 Security Droid

Advanced Sensors Focus, EI into Expose, green maneuver for TL.

In the combat phase, using his ability, you're sitting at 5-6 red dice with TL and focus token.

Best part is, it can't be stopped by blocking. Adv.S doesn't care and K4 doesn't care, so long as you have a target you can shoot. In fact intentional bumping with greens ups the Railgun's survivability.

Try it, you might like it. I think a key wingman is probably Palob.

Zuckuss

-Expose

-Experimental Interface

-Advanced Sensors

-K4 Security Droid

In the combat phase, using his ability, you're sitting at 5-6 red dice with TL and focus token.

Best part is, it can't be stopped by blocking. Adv.S doesn't care and K4 doesn't care, so long as you have a target you can shoot. In fact intentional bumping with greens ups the Railgun's survivability.

Blast! You beat me to it. This is a really fun build!

Zuckuss

-Expose

-Experimental Interface

-Advanced Sensors

-K4 Security Droid

Oh my goodness that looks like fun.

Xizor!!

No, really: anytime I play the prince, he ALWAYS get himself ignored by the opponent. Of course, 3 agi AT with his ability? Better focus the other 60ish points.

BUT...with Expose you bring him to agi2, so you can push the enemy to re-consider to shoot him. And with FCS you still have a 'free' target lock for the 4/5 dice attack.

PLUS it makes the prince pricey, another thing that will push your opponent to focus him.

And you WANT this.

Edited by Cerve

Nope.

EDIT: Actually, that's not true.  Expose was the first absolutely terrible and basically worthless card that FFG released.  It served as a genuinely valuable lesson in design.  Not every upgrade has been perfect since -- far from it -- but nothing has been as bad as Expose.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

Nope.

EDIT: Actually, that's not true.  Expose was the first absolutely terrible and basically worthless card that FFG released.  It served as a genuinely valuable lesson in design.  Not every upgrade has been perfect since -- far from it -- but nothing has been as bad as Expose.

R3 astromech gives expose quite the run for its money. Expose at least has a couple of not horrendous builds. R3 is just unplayable.

R3 is just unplayable.

It's really not.  It's not good.  It's basically an average Rebel Astromech, which makes it pretty lame.  But it's nowhere near -- not even close -- as bad as Expose.

Vorpal Sword, before he bailed on the forums, wrote some really good paragraphs about how and why Expose is so terrible, even in the builds some folks think are "not horrendous."  (They're still horrendous.)  Robert wrote some excellent commentary on it, and it's worth searching for.

Doug Kinney ran a list at a recent Tournament at Sparta Games in Omaha.  I don't remember the exact composition, but it featured Youngster with Expose, the PS2 TIE Bomber set up with System and Fleet Officers (for dice modifications)  He filled the remainder of the list with TIE Fighters (named) that added a die when specific conditions were met.  For example, Mauler Mithel.  His goal was to have a shot with 5 dice (range 1, expose, TIE specific bonus, TIE 2 normal) with a focus and target lock for modification....  He did really well with the list, coming in 4th for the day.

I wish I could claim credit for this but the runner up of a tornement a friend of mine was at last weekend had this in his squadron:

Thane Kyrell (31)

ARC-170 (26), R2-D6 (1), Alliance Overhaul (0), Expose (4)

Thane focuses as his basic action then when another ship is targeted uses Expose as his action from his pilot ability.

I'm going to try Expose on Jake Farrel in his A-wing just to pump up his attack.

Currently I'm flying him with Test pilot, PtL, Predator and Autothrusters, Chardaan refit - He's surviving ok though just lacks that punch, unless he's equipped with proton rockets.

My favorite thing about this thread is that the Expose Zuckuss build I tried out, first thing on the table when I got my G1-A, has a name.

Yeah I don't know if I was actually unique but I started a thread calling it Railgun Zuckuss shortly after the mist hunter came out and it stuck either from that or from various minds thinking alike.

I have a build that I've been wanting to try for a while:

Darth Vader (29)

Expose (4)

Advanced Targeting Computer (1)

Stealth Device (3)

TIE/x1 (0)

Total : 37

To me, this seems such a good/natural upgrade for Darth Vader as he is the only person who can do two actions every turn with no worries on stress. I just really like the idea of rolling 3 dice and adding a critical result, every attack. Plus with the stealth device, you are offsetting the minus 1 evasion, not to mention with Vader's two actions, you could even add 1 evade action as well.

I think any Arc Dodger could utilize Expose as the risk factor gets reduced (or eliminated entirely) if you are outside of the target's arc.

Plus remember, it's not like you have to use Expose every single turn, more like when an opportunity presents itself.

[Edit: Additional Content Added]

Edited by SlaveofChrist