Sign in to follow this  
TitaniumChopstick

VOTE Here: Most Hated Upgrade Card in X-Wing

I'm surprised at the lack of AT hate in here.  I would have been 100% okay if it was just out of arc, but the R3 + OOA makes it OP for 2 points.  Yes, I understand part of the reason it's OP is that it synergizes too well with Palp and Fel, but at 2 points, as other's have stated, it's an auto include for essentially any 3 agility ship that can take it (exception being cheap A wings).  If it was 4 points, or was just OOA then there wouldn't be a problem with it.

(snip) time (Flechette torps also have a 2-3 range restriction, so that alone invalidates the statement), but Stramm's ability does allow you to clear the stress from r3a2 quickly with a lucky roll or two, so that a torp shot can be in play again mid and/or late game to close the gate shut on your opponent.

And although that stress clearing is not guaranteed as you mention, I find, especially in a tournament scenario, the stress gets cleared often enough over X amount of games that failsafe can be a worthwhile investment. And, while this would likely be putting too many points towards the gimmick, it's worth noting you could also combo it with a Weapons Engineer Shara Bay, or, in the future, with a pilot toting Targeting Synchronizer to still be able to get the stress torp off even when dealing with the r3a2 feedback.

Thnak you. That makes more sense now. I've been running Braylen for the last 2 weeks or so as the stressmule (FGD's classic list), and I'll have to see if the torps/munitions failsafe are worth the points.
You'd have to ditch Biggs' astromech and thrusters off Braylen to do it so no. I don't think it's worth it. (see post above yours)

Losing Braylen's thrusters isn't a deal breaker; losing either Biggs' bot or Norra's thrusters is. Shame, one point too many!

Apologies for the derail; please resume hating cards, folks!

I'm surprised at the lack of AT hate in here.  I would have been 100% okay if it was just out of arc, but the R3 + OOA makes it OP for 2 points.  Yes, I understand part of the reason it's OP is that it synergizes too well with Palp and Fel, but at 2 points, as other's have stated, it's an auto include for essentially any 3 agility ship that can take it (exception being cheap A wings).  If it was 4 points, or was just OOA then there wouldn't be a problem with it.

I think the reason Autothrusters don't really attract too much ire is that they are fundamentally a fix for the turret mechanics. Without AT, turrets are a 100% guaranteed counter to arc-dodgers, effectively rendering their entire mode of play useless on the battlefield. Autothrusters give arc dodgers a good chance to actually dodge arcs when faced with a turret. The Range 3 bonus was probably added because in many cases you simply won't be facing turrets - in which case they're 2 points that are wasted.

For all that AT sometimes contribute to invincible ships, I much prefer them over letting turrets have free reign! :)

Veteran Instincts - as someone already mentioned, PS should be fixed. This card is obviously abused.

As runner-up I would name Snap Shot and Hotshot Copilot. I don't like interfering oponents activation and I don't like forcing someone to spend focus.

I think the reason Autothrusters don't really attract too much ire is that they are fundamentally a fix for the turret mechanics. Without AT, turrets are a 100% guaranteed counter to arc-dodgers, effectively rendering their entire mode of play useless on the battlefield. Autothrusters give arc dodgers a good chance to actually dodge arcs when faced with a turret. The Range 3 bonus was probably added because in many cases you simply won't be facing turrets - in which case they're 2 points that are wasted.

For all that AT sometimes contribute to invincible ships, I much prefer them over letting turrets have free reign! :)

I agree full heartedly that they are a fix to the reign of terror known as fat PWTs. Which is why I said the OOA by itself is fine. The R3 is the obnoxious part.

As for it being useless if you don't run across turrets, it wouldn't be the first time an ability was useless in certain matchups. BMST, VI, heck even Vader (crew) can be seemingly useless in certain matchups. It would remove it as an auto include and make you decide - are these 2 points better spent elsewhere?

"Most hated" is pretty broad. Hated for OP, for bad design, for boring gameplay, for missed opportunities (e.g. Leia!).....

Difficult, right now I 'd say

Tie x7 (they have overdone it)

Runner up: Absolutely Engine Upgrade for large bases. Thus it is not 1st, as on small it is Ok.

More vote suggestions (if not already mentioned/done)

Best artwork (excluding alternates), overall or for a category e.g. ship cards.

Edit: just had to mention EU.

Edited by Managarmr

Theyre a turret fix and little else. Maybe once you'll get it against a non-turret user, and in that situation you are also range3 to them so they also  have a defensive bonus.

Turrets as a whole were the dumbest idea in the game as a general mechanic. Mobile arc is fine, but in a game all about flying and prediction why the hell would you put a weapon in that literally ignores that part of the game? ATs were brought in to mitigate that problem, though not many can get a real benefit out of it.

"Most hated" is pretty broad. Hated for OP, for bad design, for boring gameplay, for missed opportunities (e.g. Leia!).....

Difficult, right now I 'd say

Tie x7 (they have overdone it)

More vote suggestions (if not already mentioned/done)

Best artwork (excluding alternates), overall or for a category e.g. ship cards.

I take back my suggestion I like his

My top 3: 

x7 for the lack of counters. It would have been fine, much more fun and still very strong if it was a free action. 

Kylo Ren for shield ignoring and wall of uncalled for text.

TLT for not being unique

I actually like veteran instincts. It creates an interesting dilemma when listbuiling.

Next topic. Flip this one around? Best designed upgrade cards

Counter measures - Outside of dengaroo, mostly not worth the 3 point for a single use.

Scum Boba range 1 of a swam loves this card

When you want to suprise omega leader

When torp boats were a thing it saved Leebo for me more then once

There ate a lot of uses for this card its just not an auto include its more on a insurance/strategy card

TLT for me.

I've used it once. Rolled a natural two crits and a hit with it against a one agility ship.

Never used it again.

This is interesting. Most people hate TLT for it's mindless efficiency, but it appears you hate it for not doing the damage rolled.

Gunner, Saboteur, and counter measures.

Gunner - Enables things like deci vaders.

Saboteur - Mostly a useless card.

Counter measures - Outside of dengaroo, mostly not worth the 3 point for a single use.

Here is an interesting question. Which is worse, R3 astro or Saboteur?

Scum Boba range 1 of a swam loves this card

When you want to suprise omega leader

When torp boats were a thing it saved Leebo for me more then once

There ate a lot of uses for this card its just not an auto include its more on a insurance/strategy card

I believe that's a decent reason, but at 3 points, you are spending a lot for a single use card. 1 point more and you get EU and that allows you to arc dodge with large based ships. Which makes for even better longevity, no green dice needed.

Now don't get me wrong, I think had it been 1 point you would see it a massive amount more because it's a decent toolbox upgrade.

Gunner, Saboteur, and counter measures.

Gunner - Enables things like deci vaders.

Saboteur - Mostly a useless card.

Here is an interesting question. Which is worse, R3 astro or Saboteur?

I didn't see this and I'm to lazy to edit right now. I can at least see R3 being used on PS8+ ships to help them. Generics wont see much use from it at all.

TLT for me.

I've used it once. Rolled a natural two crits and a hit with it against a one agility ship.

Never used it again.

This is interesting. Most people hate TLT for it's mindless efficiency, but it appears you hate it for not doing the damage rolled.

Its frustrating for both players. On one side you can just not roll dice whenever there is more hits than your agility value, on the other you can "waste" all your god-rolls. Of course the former side is a bit more substential, but subjectively I can see the latter one, too.

On the topic of Autothrusters: The out of arc benefit is absolutely needed. However keeping the same benefit in arc was too much. Don't get me wrong, there absolutely needs to be some benefit in arc so the upgrade isn't worthless. However this benefit working all the time has a bad effect on how the ships that can equip ATs have to play: It makes you a lot less vulnerable to focus fire. Which is bad, since the ships equiping ATs already have an easy time avoiding said focus fire. It is fine as an insurance against one blankout. Its not fine when you can park Soontir Fel like an idiot at range 3 of an entire BBBBZ list and not really fear for him at all (in fact that often may be a reasonable play, since the opponent might just waste his attacks on Soontir instead of the Shuttle). Therefor I believe in arc ATs should only have a blank -> focus conversion. That is a lot less powerfull and punishes the pilot for parking in multiple arcs some times and makes blocks a lot more effective.

Oh well. I suppose its mostly something that feels wrong.

Shara Bey. I hate her because she should have been good, and ended up being one of the worst pilots in the game.

Accept she's very loved for Weapons Engineer and M9-G8 where you can wait with spending a target lock...

Top 5 worst card:

Palpatine. Destroys the fun in 100p matches with no efforts. Put range restriction or action. Then palp is balanced.

All huge (epic) cards. Can't be used in 100p, can't be sold and rarely usable. Make Toryn Farr playable in 100p FFG...

Leia. What's the point with spending 4 points on a card that lets you perform red maneuver as white for one turn. In epic it might be usefull for B-Wing and more. In 100p. No.

Spam droids - droids in Scum and Rebels that are useless, specially discard droids.

Millenium falcon title. Why unique? Can't have evade on 1 falcon and S-loop on another. Stupid.