Sign in to follow this  
TitaniumChopstick

VOTE Here: Most Hated Upgrade Card in X-Wing

I'll throw in a card I haven't seen mentioned- Autothrusters.

I understand the necessity for the card upon its initial release, but there are a number of things that really bother me about the card.

1- on high agility boosting ships, it has no competition in the mod slot. It is about as auto include as a card can get for them. This is just bad for a player like me who gets a lot of pull in this game from list creation, and the cards existence shows poor game design as they were forced to release a "fix" card which now fills an otherwise open slot due to the power of turrets against these ships. When every time I field a 3 agility boosting ship I have to include an upgrade, it really neuters that otherwise enjoyable experience for me.

and

2- It is, to this day, still only included in one expansion. If you are going to make a card that is as autoinclude as AT is, you better make sure players have multiple ways to get a hold of that card.

Shara Bey. I hate her because she should have been good, and ended up being one of the worst pilots in the game.

One of the worst pilots in the game seems harsh. She's the cornerstone of my anti-Defender list. Shara with Weapons Engineer takes two target locks and then her squadmates Wedge and Janson basically get target lock and focus every turn to stomp face. Shara Bey is bae.

There is also the fact that she isn't an upgrade. She's a pilot.

Let's do most hated pilot next. :)

I generally try to do suggested topics in the order of their suggestion, but I might have to make an exception. Ever since Soontir has fallen out of favor, I've been curious as to who the the community hates most. It would even fit the theme of this current vote. It would probably be Dengar, but I don't want to see my beloved Corran get any hate... :(

Veteran Instincts.  

It's absolutely everywhere, and just boring.  It doesn't really DO anything aside from let you move later and shoot sooner.  At least with PtL you DO something.  Also, when you regularly see PS9 guys take this so they can shoot first, it's indicative of a problem with the game.  I think PS should be capped at 9 except for pilot special abilities.  I've also been working on a variant where ships only use PS to shoot, and move in alternating order (like Armada), so I obviously have a big hangup about PS being an overly dominant mechanic in this game.

Dishonorable Mentions:
-Push the Limit (I like the card but it's almost as ubiquitous as VI)
-Engine Upgrade (should be 2 points, small ship only.  Overpowered even at 4 points on big ships)

-Zuckuss (only on the ships that abuse it)

-Palpatine (come on, play something else)

-Twin Laser Turret (in multiples... booooring)

Cards that I hate because they're frustratingly bad and a big disappointment:
-R3 Astromech (what a steaming pile of garbage)
-Flight Instructor (sooo overpriced)
-Autoblaster (cannon variety)

-Expose (don't get me started)
-Blaster Turret (spending focus to shoot is prohibitive)

Push the Limit - because design limitations- ruins design space for ships and contorts our perspective of what makes a 'good' ept. Dishonorable mention: autothrusters - because of prohibitive cost - 'Hey kid, you like star wars x-wing and want to play tie fighters? Well good, now you need to buy starvipers that you will never play until they are fixed.'

I sense an absence of objectivity in this thread. I challenge everyone who posted to edit their posts by adding their favorite list. I'm betting many of these nominations contradict the nominator's playstyle.

Emperor Palpatine, Engine Upgrade, Push the Limit, R2-D2, Veteran Instincts and Zuckuss are commonly mentioned, and they all have some things in common which include, but are not limitted to the following:

1 - These cards all have drawbacks.

2 - These cards help players win, at times making the difference between victory or defeat.

3 - None of these cards can produce a win without a combination of other cards and variables.

Even with these cards in the game, general balance exists, and victories are achieved through superior list building and superior gameplay.

I'll step off my soap box and and cast my vote in the proverbial ballot box.

Zuckuss (crew)

... and honoring my own challenge, here is my favorite list:

Poe Dameron (43) - T-70 X-Wing

Push The Limit (3), BB-8 (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Black One (1), Autothrusters (2)

Sabine Wren (29) - Attack Shuttle

Push The Limit (3), Autoblaster Turret (2), Kanan Jarrus (3)

Season to taste with 3rd ship.

OR

"Whisper" (41) - TIE Phantom

Veteran Instincts (1), Fire Control System (2), Agent Kallus (2), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

"Echo" (38) - TIE Phantom

Veteran Instincts (1), Fire Control System (2), Intelligence Agent (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

I sense an absence of objectivity in this thread. I challenge everyone who posted to edit their posts by adding their favorite list. I'm betting many of these nominations contradict the nominator's playstyle.

Emperor Palpatine, Engine Upgrade, Push the Limit, R2-D2, Veteran Instincts and Zuckuss are commonly mentioned, and they all have some things in common which include, but are not limitted to the following:

1 - These cards all have drawbacks.

2 - These cards help players win, at times making the difference between victory or defeat.

3 - None of these cards can produce a win without a combination of other cards and variables.

Even with these cards in the game, general balance exists, and victories are achieved through superior list building and superior gameplay.

I'll step off my soap box and and cast my vote in the proverbial ballot box.

Zuckuss (crew)

... and honoring my own challenge, here is my favorite list:

Poe Dameron (43) - T-70 X-Wing

Push The Limit (3), BB-8 (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Black One (1), Autothrusters (2)

Sabine Wren (29) - Attack Shuttle

Push The Limit (3), Autoblaster Turret (2), Kanan Jarrus (3)

OR

"Whisper" (41) - TIE Phantom

Veteran Instincts (1), Fire Control System (2), Agent Kallus (2), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

"Echo" (38) - TIE Phantom

Veteran Instincts (1), Fire Control System (2), Intelligence Agent (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

the challenge wasn't to be objective. It was to vote on which card we hated the most. So to claim a lack of objectivity is sort of redundant. It's perfectly legitimate to hate a card for the sole reason that good players use them. 

Kylo Ren. Yeah, he's not out yet. But the design is so repulsive that I don't have to use it to hate it. Hey guys, what if RAC could reliably deliver blinded pilot through shields at ps 10 that'd be great right? and what if we released this hot cop card to make really sure he could do that to everyone who isn't named Soontir?

Jesus christ

I sense an absence of objectivity in this thread.

You entered a thread about cards that people hate and thought that a lack of objectivity was a noteworthy aspect of the thread? Are you a Vulcan?

Twin Laser Turret.

Two three-dice attacks, that can fire all around (that's SIX attack dice a turn). Where your defence dice are often useless because it'll still do damage if you don't stop it completely. It's something that takes little skill or thought to use, is extremely powerful against many ships (often the ones that were suffering anyway), is very hard to avoid and just sooooo... boring.

Edited by Hedgehogmech

Kylo Ren. Yeah, he's not out yet. But the design is so repulsive that I don't have to use it to hate it. Hey guys, what if RAC could reliably deliver blinded pilot through shields at ps 10 that'd be great right? and what if we released this hot cop card to make really sure he could do that to everyone who isn't named Soontir?

Jesus christ

I sense an absence of objectivity in this thread.

You entered a thread about cards that people hate and thought that a lack of objectivity was a noteworthy aspect of the thread? Are you a Vulcan?
Is there a limit to how many crits Kylo can push out? I forget how the card works exactly since I've not seen the preview in a while.

Edit: nevermind, I looked at the preview again.... He makes Corran and therefor myself very sad.. :(

Edited by TitaniumChopstick

I have to agree with mxlm about kylo ren, anything that makes it that easy to put a crit through shields is just stupid, all 2 hull ships are invalidated as soon as this card comes out, and the, oh you have an ace, PS 0, I shoot you 1st, blinded pilot, have fun trying to attack now

the only defence against him is going to be 3 agi token stacking aces, which means palp defenders gets even more prevalent,

I have to agree with mxlm about kylo ren, anything that makes it that easy to put a crit through shields is just stupid, all 2 hull ships are invalidated as soon as this card comes out, and the, oh you have an ace, PS 0, I shoot you 1st, blinded pilot, have fun trying to attack now

the only defence against him is going to be 3 agi token stacking aces, which means palp defenders gets even more prevalent,

You do know you can't use Kylo to give Direct Hits and Major Explosions, right?

I think the point is that only 2 uses can kill a 48 point Corran or an inquisitor or whatever 2 hull ship you're running. If RAC is dishing out blinded pilot cards at PS 10, the said ships with 2 hull might as well have a direct hit, because they aren't shooting regardless... I'm really hoping this card doesn't become "competitively viable" and therefor it's seen everywhere because it could definitely be the end of Corran for me... It was already a fairly large risk with BMST floating around. I mean, let's just go ahead and make shields a completely irrelevant game mechanic now that Zuckuss has already ****** green dice. Seems legit. I digress, this is probably me just being salty (which I am admittedly) and talking out of my ***.

I think the point is that only 2 uses can kill a 48 point Corran or an inquisitor or whatever 2 hull ship you're running. If RAC is dishing out blinded pilot cards at PS 10, the said ships with 2 hull might as well have a direct hit, because they aren't shooting regardless... I'm really hoping this card doesn't become "competitively viable" and therefor it's seen everywhere because it could definitely be the end of Corran for me... It was already a fairly large risk with BMST floating around. I mean, let's just go ahead and make shields a completely irrelevant game mechanic now that Zuckuss has already ****** green dice. Seems legit. I digress, this is probably me just being salty (which I am admittedly) and talking out of my ***.

If he's using Kylo crew, block him.  Stop him taking an action.  If he's using Kylo pilot, don't shoot at him.

It's gonna be painful to fly against, but so are TLTs, so are bombs, so are token stackers, particularly regenerating token stackers.

Corran is particularly nice in that regard because if IWSYTDS Blinds him... he can still get a shot in the End phase...

I'm not sure I'm wild about Kylo's effect from a defensive perspective, but I don't feel like it's any worse than any of the many, many other cards that provide potentially negative play experiences.

If he's using Kylo crew, block him. Stop him taking an action. If he's using Kylo pilot, don't shoot at him.

It's gonna be painful to fly against, but so are TLTs, so are bombs, so are token stackers, particularly regenerating token stackers.

Corran is particularly nice in that regard because if IWSYTDS Blinds him... he can still get a shot in the End phase...

I'm not sure I'm wild about Kylo's effect from a defensive perspective, but I don't feel like it's any worse than any of the many, many other cards that provide potentially negative play experiences.

Fair enough. As I said, this is mostly me just being prejudiced to anything that hard counters Corran... Kylo crew is an action as you said, so maybe I'll just keep flying him with stress Braylen since he works well against BMST also. Edited by TitaniumChopstick

Zuckuss isn't broken, it's Multiple stress not affecting a ship that's broken.  If they introduce something that says after 3 stress tokens you cannot perform actions or upgrades that give you more.. something along those lines then it'll be fine..  I think