Sign in to follow this  
marcellobeccati

why only 3 sos in europe?!?! is a revenge because european starfighters have won sos final and world final?

In 2016, shuttling people from Europe to London was cheaper, so more were in Europe.

This year, Celebration is in the US, so they want to skew it more to local travel again, while recognizing that many people outside of North America want in too?

Having only 1 for North America was a bit ridiculous last year, I think some don't grok just how big NA actually is.

Weren't the two tournaments in Europe last year that were furthest apart still less than a 12 hour drive from each other? There seemed to be a hell of a lot of coverage overlap with those events last year. 

but is not correct to play final in the nation of the last winner?

No it really isn't. Winning any major event has no impact on where the event will be held next time.

It would have been funny to have the Tour De Fance in the US during all those years that Lance Armstrong was winning it. 

but is not correct to play final in the nation of the last winner?

No it really isn't. Winning any major event has no impact on where the event will be held next time.

It would have been funny to have the Tour De Fance in the US during all those years that Lance Armstrong was winning it.

The Olympics would be hectic to coordinate across several countries too.

Ohey,

So,

We're Canada....

Considering all the glowing reviews I've heard of how the Canadian distributor handles Regionals and Nationals, you want to add a System Open as well? 

Considering most of those reviews were on previous years, and that this year the Nationals were vastly improved, and that the latest batch of Regionals came direct to LR from FFG, and were not up to LR's discretion or consideration....

Yes.

Yes I would.

And I don't even play X-Wing.  I'm an Armada-Only guy.

Its just really interesting to see how "Its not Fair" is pandered around, when there is so many ways that "Fair" itself, can be flavoured and biased....

To be honest I was just thinking of X-Wing but yeah I did make a fairly blanket statement that does hold up.

There are some events out there that move depending on who won them, but most of them either have some sort of bidding process like the Olympics or the Super Bowl, are held where the people playing are, like the World Series or Stanley Cup...

Or have some place chosen for some other reason.  I get that people in places other than the US or really even other then the midwest would like to see Worlds somewhere else.  But FFG is the one hosting it so they'll host it wherever works best for them.

Ohey,

So,

We're Canada....

Considering all the glowing reviews I've heard of how the Canadian distributor handles Regionals and Nationals, you want to add a System Open as well? 

It was the Canadian Nationals in 2015 that they totally dropped the ball on. The one in 2016 was pretty decent to go to. The Regionals were all handled by local stores and were all done very well from what I saw.

And in the end, trying to organize events like this is wildly insane. Trying to coordinate a reasonable spread of dates, across multiple cities/countries, for locations that are big enough to host it without being too big to become cost prohibitive, being in a decent location for hotels and reasonable proximity to a major airport, while also trying to schedule it around other events happening in the world like business trade shows, major sports events, is akin to trying to herd blind and deaf cats in the dark.

So yeah, they *obviously* just pulled this out of their backside yesterday without any regard to anyone else involved. It's that simple to do this kind of event.

Diaries of an Event Planner

Ohey,

So,

We're Canada....

This years Nationals was at a good venue and ran very smoothly.  They learned their lesson from last years fiasco.