Sign in to follow this  
wolfien8

Crazy Combos

I should also add, please explain how it is broken, the wandering Took one doesn't make sense to me. I give him to someone and then they raise their threat, so I raise mine to lower theirs? How is that broken? I just raised their threat by 2 and lowered mine by 2.

I should also add, please explain how it is broken, the wandering Took one doesn't make sense to me. I give him to someone and then they raise their threat, so I raise mine to lower theirs? How is that broken? I just raised their threat by 2 and lowered mine by 2.

Song of Earendil means you raise your threat by 1 to lower their threat by 1 on top of what the Took does.

So, if you're P1 and your friend is P2 and you are the one starting the chain, the first pass results in (-1, +1). When they pass it back, (+2, -2). So you keep passing until P1 reaches 49 (or P2 reaches 0), then reset P1 with Lore Aragorn. P1 is at starting and P2 is well below his starting threat.

Edited by Kakita Shiro

In addition to what Kakita has mentioned, Wandering Took (no limit) + Song of Earendil (no limit) inherently allows for broken combos.

Another example is O Elbereth Githoniel + Vanish from Sight + Wandering Took + Song of Earendil.  It lets you reduce every other player's threat to 0 and prevents you from threating out.

Gloin + Citadel Plates + Song of Wisdom + Elrond + Warden of Healing. Song of Mocking helps a lot in multiplayer. If you can get it set up, defending attacks is nearly trivialized.

Edited by sappidus

In addition to what Kakita has mentioned, Wandering Took (no limit) + Song of Earendil (no limit) inherently allows for broken combos.

Another example is O Elbereth Githoniel + Vanish from Sight + Wandering Took + Song of Earendil.  It lets you reduce every other player's threat to 0 and prevents you from threating out.

You don't need Elbereth for that combo, but it does combo nicely with Vanish From Sight on its own

If you are looking for truly broken combos, and not just really strong combos, my YouTube channel features a few. Many of them are nerfed now (like love of tales and horn of Gondor), but there remains a couple ways to get infinite resources and cards, particularly if you have 2 or more decks working together.

Over on the Arkham Horror forum someone brought up some really broken combos. What are the most well known broken combos that have either been nerfed or are still viable?

Isn't Arkham Horror the LCG game which is not released yet?!

Over on the Arkham Horror forum someone brought up some really broken combos. What are the most well known broken combos that have either been nerfed or are still viable?

Well, it's pretty released at the moment. Plenty of copies were sold on Arkham Nights or something.

You don't need Elbereth for that combo, but it does combo nicely with Vanish From Sight on its own

Wait, why not? After Vanish from Sight ends, you would threat out.  Elbereth lets you set your threat back to a level <50 so that when Vanish from Sight ends you are still safe.  Admittedly, it would probably be worth threating out to get your teammate's threats to 0.

I guess what I mean to say was in that forum people were talking about broken combos inside of LOTR that were caused by no limit in hand size.

I guess what I mean to say was in that forum people were talking about broken combos inside of LOTR that were caused by no limit in hand size.

It is certainly a contributing factor; you can hold your combo pieces as long as you want until you find the others.

Boromir/Blood of Numenor/Gondorian Fire. Steward of Gondor is usually included, but can be considered optional.

Or Resourceful in lieu of Steward of Gondor. And Song of Wisdom and Burning Brand as another optional bonus. And you can add a lot more to make Boromir more versatile (Song of Travel and Lay of Nimrodel to give him the occasional monstrous quest boost, Dunedain Cache or one of the bows to give him Ranged, Dunedain Signal or Arwen to give him Sentinel etc.).

Unfortunately, I think some scenarios practically require the use of the core part of this combo (Boromir/Blood of Numenor/Gondorian Fire/Resourceful or Steward of Gondor). Has anyone successfully defeated The Three Trials, straight solo progression-style, without using the above combo along with Aragorn (Lore) and Glorfindel (Spirit)? If yes, I'd be curious to know how. If any of the combo cards were nerfed, could the scenario (under the conditions mentioned above) still be beaten?

I'm about to try Nin-in-Eilph straight solo progression style and have a feeling the same may apply there... but I'm not asking for confirmation, tips or suggestions on that one!!! If you can't resist offering confirmation or suggestions, please place them under a spoiler tag!  :) 

Edited by TwiceBornh

Unfortunately, I think some scenarios practically require the use of the core part of this combo (Boromir/Blood of Numenor/Gondorian Fire/Resourceful or Steward of Gondor). Has anyone successfully defeated The Three Trials, straight solo progression-style, without using the above combo along with Aragorn (Lore) and Glorfindel (Spirit)? If yes, I'd be curious to know how. If any of the cards were nerfed, could the scenario (under the conditions mentioned above) still be beaten?

I haven't done it solo and progression style at the same time, but I'm certain regardless that I could do so without resorting to super-powered Boromir. It's a while since I did any sort of deckbuilding chalenge, so I'll see if I can do it by next week and post again.

Wait, why not? After Vanish from Sight ends, you would threat out.  Elbereth lets you set your threat back to a level <50 so that when Vanish from Sight ends you are still safe.  Admittedly, it would probably be worth threating out to get your teammate's threats to 0.

Oh OK. I see. Nice.

Unfortunately, I think some scenarios practically require the use of the core part of this combo (Boromir/Blood of Numenor/Gondorian Fire/Resourceful or Steward of Gondor). Has anyone successfully defeated The Three Trials, straight solo progression-style, without using the above combo along with Aragorn (Lore) and Glorfindel (Spirit)? If yes, I'd be curious to know how. If any of the cards were nerfed, could the scenario (under the conditions mentioned above) still be beaten?

I haven't done it solo and progression style at the same time, but I'm certain regardless that I could do so without resorting to super-powered Boromir. It's a while since I did any sort of deckbuilding chalenge, so I'll see if I can do it by next week and post again.

Well it took me an extra few days to get round to writing it up. but here you go: https://wardenofarnor.wordpress.com/2016/11/21/minor-challenge-solo-progression-three-trials/

I ended up going for a relatively easy option which did include some (two) of the combo cards, but I also mentioned other possibilities for how it could be done without resorting to them.

Well it took me an extra few days to get round to writing it up. but here you go: https://wardenofarnor.wordpress.com/2016/11/21/minor-challenge-solo-progression-three-trials/

I ended up going for a relatively easy option which did include some (two) of the combo cards, but I also mentioned other possibilities for how it could be done without resorting to them.

Nicely done. Should've known there were other ways.

Clearly proves your superior deck building skills, and the fact that I've had blinders on as a result of not playing nearly as often as I used to, which has hampered mine. And your choice of heroes/cards made me realize I had been further limiting myself... while I own all of the LotR saga boxes, they're all still shrink-wrapped because I've decided to set them aside until I can play the entire saga... so no access to Merry or Dagger of Westernnesse, etc. But that's on me, not you... certainly wouldn't have wanted to add another "excessive" restriction to the challenge.  :P

EDIT: Thanks for taking the time to take up the challenge, Pocket Wraith, and especially to do a full write-up of your sessions.

Edited by TwiceBornh