Sign in to follow this  
eagletsi111

Lets fix Stress in the game

A simple fix to the game which makes logical sense.   When you have 3 or more stress all white maneuvers on your dial count as red.

Now all those stress cards, Zuckuss, Bots, etc.   Do not need to be modified at all.

This stress fix forces players to complete some type of green maneuver's or use some other cards to reduce their stress.   Otherwise once they get 3 they will be flying 2 straight for ever if they don't.

Game fixed, Zuckuss Fixed,   Stress fixed.

Simple and effective.

Eagletsi

Edited by eagletsi111

Zuckuss in not the issue. Manaroo's ability to give Dengar modifications while way out of combat is the issue. Otherwise Dengar with Zuckuss is way less effective. Let's fix Manaroo's range before Zuckuss.

Or Overclocked Agromech's ability to run provided you get handed focus tokens, no matter the source.

Or Dengar's ability to take the infinite-rerolls and infinite-focus and turn it into double-tapping firepower to boot.

What's really so surprising for Dengaroo's problems is that half the stuff that made it so dang strong showed up combined in that one wave.

It makes sense, but then it also complicates running any build that stacks stress, like a party bus. It would have to be weighed as: how much does this positively affect the game vs. how many (non overpowered) lists does this nerf.

I like seeing ideas to make stress matter somewhat more, like not having zuckuss rerolling an insane amount of dice, but does nerfing the party bus like this make such a huge difference? It's not like it's overpowered. All it really does is remove a legitimate list from contention, without really nerfing the lists that are overpowered. X/7 defenders, Palp Aces, and others don't stack stress, so this wouldn't change much in their balance.

both true.   However.   I'm talking realism.    Ships can only take so much stress, so after 3 all your whites should count as red.

It makes sense and like I said, overclocked and no other cards have to be changed,   this tones down Dangaroo and slightly, not a complete nerf, but now when using zuckuss you will be less likely to use all in one turn because after 3 your are moving 2 straight, or a green.

Zuckuss in not the issue. Manaroo's ability to give Dengar modifications while way out of combat is the issue. Otherwise Dengar with Zuckuss is way less effective. Let's fix Manaroo's range before Zuckuss.

Or Overclocked Agromech's ability to run provided you get handed focus tokens, no matter the source.

Or Dengar's ability to take the infinite-rerolls and infinite-focus and turn it into double-tapping firepower to boot.

What's really so surprising for Dengaroo's problems is that half the stuff that made it so dang strong showed up combined in that one wave.

I think that particular combination may not have come up during playtesting perhaps? Maybe the testers were too distracted by the mindlink.

This is the real problem. I had to explain this to some "notable" players this weekend that foolishly blame Zuckuss.

Wouldn't it just be easier to give Zuckuss a stress cap? A lot of effects can't be used if you have any stress and you've got others (like Primed Thrusters) that only work when you possess less than a certain amount of stress.

As for the explicit "More than three makes everything terrible"... I would like to point out the Stresshog's ability to force you to take stress. Fail to get out of its guns in two consecutive turns, and even if you pulled a green and started off with a blank slate, you're still at 3 Stress.

And just became all the easier to let 'em keep on stacking it.

Wouldn't it just be easier to give Zuckuss a stress cap? A lot of effects can't be used if you have any stress and you've got others (like Primed Thrusters) that only work when you possess less than a certain amount of stress.

Definately, makes no sense it has no restrictions when Elusiveness is "if you have no stress" and Expert Handling is "if you have no stress" and Opportunist is "if you have no stress". Overclocked R4 has no restrictions, wtf! Zuckuss no restritions, wtf!

I think they limited Primed Thrusters to 3 stress because of Zuckuss abuse.

Maybe BMST should have included "you may remove any amount of stress from the enemy ship, deal 1 dmg per stress removed." Then a Z-95 could essential one-shot Dengar with stress abuse.

This is the real problem. I had to explain this to some "notable" players this weekend that foolishly blame Zuckuss.

There is no one element. Manaroo is no different for the rest of Scum than Palp is for Imperials. It's just that she's Dengar giving unlimited Focus tokens thanks to the Overclocked R4, augmented by Lone Wolf and with three evade dice thanks to Countermeasures.

You're not seeing people complain about the effect of Manaroo on IG-88, Bossk or Fenn Rau.

There is no one element. Manaroo is no different for the rest of Scum than Palp is for Imperials. It's just that she's Dengar giving unlimited Focus tokens thanks to the Overclocked R4, augmented by Lone Wolf and with three evade dice thanks to Countermeasures.

You're not seeing people complain about the effect of Manaroo on IG-88, Bossk or Fenn Rau.

I faced IG-88C/Manaroo list (Nathan Eide flying it no less). That was a rough match, even after (somehow) catching and killing Manaroo first. You just don't see those lists so much yet.

Manaroo is the enabler and could be a big enabler of future stuff. Everything now has to keep Manaroo and her range and ability in mind. That is not a good thingTM.

I think, should you want to tax Manaroo, a range limitation might not be the best way to go. Rather, add a stress or ion penalty to the shifting of tokens. That way she becomes a tad more predictable in her movements, which would probably tie her closer to her companion ship.

Definately, makes no sense it has no restrictions when Elusiveness is "if you have no stress" and Expert Handling is "if you have no stress" and Opportunist is "if you have no stress". Overclocked R4 has no restrictions, wtf! Zuckuss no restritions, wtf!

So your idea would be to limit Zuckuss/OCR4 in the same way as some cards that nobody uses competitively? What makes you think the result wouldn't be the same (nobody would use Zuckuss/OCR4 competitively)? Edited by LordBlades

I don't like it. One Flechette Torpedo from an ARC-170 with a Tactician (or Gunner) and R3-A2 you have 3 stress. Also, it weakens Kanan's ability. Your idea just strengthens stress bots.

Also, I don't think Dengaroo really needs fixed. It is not overpowered. It is good, but it is no Triple U-Boats or TIE Phantoms.

Edited by Jadotch

TBH what I would prefer is a cheapish cannon option that gets a reroll or allows you to change 1 blank to an eye for each stress the enemy has... It would work as a combo with Asajj on Scyks even without the enemy stress stacking. It would also help target any list that uses PTL.

If you're going down the counterplay route, make it a cannon that has two dice base (or even 1 die base and is super cheap), and lets you remove stress from the enemy to add +1 die per stress token you remove.

But it's far better to fix broken stuff by fixing it than by adding counterplays.

I don't like it. One Flechette Torpedo from an ARC-170 with a Tactician (or Gunner) and R3-A2 you have 3 stress. Also, it weakens Kanan's ability. Your idea just strengthens stress bots.

Also, I don't think Dengaroo really needs fixed. It is not overpowered. It is good, but it is no Triple U-Boats or TIE Phantoms.

So one extremely specific build is why this is a bad idea??? You saying that Dengaroo isn't OP, would have to be the craziest comment so far. This is exactly like TIE Phantoms. 1 ship soloing an entire list.... Dengaroo and Palp is easy mode for X Wing, why these two don't have range restrictions on their abilities is beyond me. The JM5K is probably the one ship that stress abuse matters not one iota. They need to fix how stress works in game.

1 ship soloing an entire list....

Dengaroo

Take your pick.  Is it "Dengaroo" or is it "1 ship soloing an entire list".

Dengaroo necessitates both Dengar (to deal damage) and Manaroo (to provide Dengar with the stuff to deal damage).  Remove either one of those ships and suddenly Dengaroo is toast.

I think the main issue with Manaroo is that people are so used to support ships being craptastical, that when a good support ship comes along people do not know how to deal with it. 

A simple fix to the game which makes logical sense.   When you have 3 or more stress all white maneuvers on your dial count as red.

I love it and also wish it could be made to count only for "living" beings, IG88/Droids etc being the exception.

It would in theory give the designers (not to mention Leebo, Guri, IG88 and automated craft, like the TIE Drone) a new design space to play around in, as well as set them apart - besides being just their name and pilot ability as they are now.

But that would be for another edition I reckon.

So one extremely specific build is why this is a bad idea??? You saying that Dengaroo isn't OP, would have to be the craziest comment so far. This is exactly like TIE Phantoms. 1 ship soloing an entire list.... Dengaroo and Palp is easy mode for X Wing, why these two don't have range restrictions on their abilities is beyond me. The JM5K is probably the one ship that stress abuse matters not one iota. They need to fix how stress works in game.

And here I thought I was the sane one, not wanting to rewrite an entire game mechanic for one specific ship build ....

Edited by Jadotch