Sign in to follow this  
Kdubb

Thought exercise- Make a top tier Imperial list without using these upgrades-

Tie/x7, Emperor Palpatine, Autothrusters, Crack Shot.

Can you do it?

The reason I ask this is because Imperials seem to be plagued by these upgrades in that competitive imperial players feel forced to take these upgrades to be competitive. Rebels and Scum seem to have the ability to move much further beyond the same limitations Imperials have in list building. Even if you made a similar list of the 4 most powerful upgrades (or just cards, including overused pilots) for Rebels and Scum, you would still be able to make something equally competitive as a list which did included those cards. But for Imperials? I'm much less inclined to believe so.

So lets try to break this. What can you run for Imperials which does not include one of these 4 upgrades, that could compete with a list that does include these upgrades?

Here is one such list I have had moderate success with-

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
Darth Vader (3)
Rebel Captive (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
TIE Shuttle (0)

Captain Oicunn (42)
Predator (3)
Seismic Charges (2)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Push the Limit (3)
Comm Relay (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

It is pretty much an ace killer list. Oicunn bumps them, and has a seismic for a surprise as well. OL is a great closer, and I prefer the PTL build over Juke (simply personal preference), and the, as I call it, "Death" shuttle can cripple aces with Vader, and they are often too scared to return fire for the fear of the rebel captive stress if they are a PTLer. If I run in to a non-ace list though, it will likely struggle a bit.

Edited by Kdubb

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)

Predator (3)

Gunner (5)

Rebel Captive (3)

Ysanne Isard (4)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Darth Vader (29)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Advanced Targeting Computer (1)

Engine Upgrade (4)

TIE/x1 (0)

Vader is the ultimate ace. He's easier to take down without Palpatine to support him, but you fly him cautiously as a flanker. If they go for Vader, it means your Decimator has that much more time to smash face with its absurd action efficiency and buzzsaw attacks.

If they go after the Decimator first, it can get away with its insane speed while Vader gobbles them up from the rear. Both ships are very formidable, even without Palpatine.

i use crackshot alot but i seldom use the others. Popularity of defenders deters me from using them because i like to be the unpredictable "wtf are you doing?!" guy.

i use Backdraft alot. He doesnt really mesh with those cards very well, except crack. He has the opposite flight pattern Defenders do so its almost impossible to evade arcs with superior flying skills with both on the board.

Dunno about top tier but:

TIE Advanced: · Darth Vader (29)

Predator (3)

Proton Rockets (3)

Engine Upgrade (4)

TIE/x1 (0)

TIE/fo Fighter: · "Omega Leader" (21)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

TIE/sf Fighter: · "Quickdraw" (29)

Push The Limit (3)

Electronic Baffle (1)

Special Ops Training (0)

Chiraneau with Hot Shot Co-Pilot and Gunner seems like it might be a solid start. 

How about:

RAC

VI

Gunner

HotShot Copilot

Rebel Captive

EU

Vader

ATC

EU

Juke

X1

Juke would thus be transformed into a permanent Crack Shot against a previously attacked target. You could also drop the Captive for Isanne if you see fit.

[45] "Whisper"     (Veteran Instincts, Hotshot Copilot, Sensor Jammer, Advanced Cloaking Device)
[36]  Darth Vader  (Lone Wolf, Engine Upgrade, TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer)
[19]  Mauler Mithel(Snap Shot)

[i0]

Honestly there's a lot of lists I just want to cram Snap Shot into, like replacing Crack Shot on BSPs. Works really well on Mauler and Scourge, though

Seems like Vader and Decis are getting a lot of pull. So that is something to try for sure. I especially like the idea of RAC with HSCP.

What else we got? Anything not Deci or Tie Adv. based? Seems to get extremely difficult beyond that.

Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)

Deadeye (1)

Extra Munitions (2)

Homing Missiles (5)

Guidance Chips (0)

Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)

Deadeye (1)

Extra Munitions (2)

Homing Missiles (5)

Guidance Chips (0)

"Quickdraw" (29)

Rage (1)

Electronic Baffle (1)

Special Ops Training (0)

"Wampa" (14)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Cause I don't think most people would be ready for that amount of alpha.

Predator (3)

Gunner (5)

Rebel Captive (3)

Ysanne Isard (4)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Darth Vader (29)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Engine Upgrade (4)

TIE/x1 (0)

Vader is the ultimate ace. He's easier to take down without Palpatine to support him, but you fly him cautiously as a flanker. If they go for Vader, it means your Decimator has that much more time to smash face with its absurd action efficiency and buzzsaw attacks.

If they go after the Decimator first, it can get away with its insane speed while Vader gobbles them up from the rear. Both ships are very formidable, even without Palpatine.

Oh man, buzzsaw Rear Admiral Chiraneau would be even better with Hotshot Copilot, but the points aren't there... Maybe trade Engine Upgrade?

Seems like Vader and Decis are getting a lot of pull. So that is something to try for sure. I especially like the idea of RAC with HSCP.

What else we got? Anything not Deci or Tie Adv. based? Seems to get extremely difficult beyond that.

6-TIE BSP+Howl swarm, all with Snap Shot? Maybe Juke on Howl.

With how much of a bumping furball the swarm gets into, they might as well have 3-4 extra ships firing, and Howl's still useful in combat/.

Predator (3)

Gunner (5)

Rebel Captive (3)

Ysanne Isard (4)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Darth Vader (29)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Engine Upgrade (4)

TIE/x1 (0)

Oh man, buzzsaw Rear Admiral Chiraneau would be even better with Hotshot Copilot, but the points aren't there... Maybe trade Engine Upgrade?

That's tough. RAC, really, really needs engine. Think I would drop Ysanne before that, which, looking at the RAC here, you would have to do anyways since you need the slot.

Edited by Kdubb

Predator (3)

Gunner (5)

Rebel Captive (3)

Ysanne Isard (4)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Darth Vader (29)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Engine Upgrade (4)

TIE/x1 (0)

That's tough. RAC, really, really needs engine. Think I would drop Ysanne before that.

I'd drop Gunner for HotCop, and use the extra point to give Vader Lone Wolf so he's a little tougher.

Dunno about top tier but:

TIE Advanced: · Darth Vader (29)

Predator (3)

Proton Rockets (3)

Engine Upgrade (4)

TIE/x1 (0)

TIE/fo Fighter: · "Omega Leader" (21)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

TIE/sf Fighter: · "Quickdraw" (29)

Push The Limit (3)

Electronic Baffle (1)

Special Ops Training (0)

That's very close to what I'd do.  I've had some decent success lately with Quickdraw, Omega Leader, Rexler Brath, and Vader is a good sub-in for Brath.

Quickdraw, Rage, Electronic Baffles, Pattern Analyzer, Mk2 Engines, SpecOps = 34

Omega Leader, Juke, Comm Relay = 26

Vader, x1, ATC, Lone Wolf, Engine Upgrade, Proton Rockets = 39

99 points

All three ships are strong against aces, all but Omega Leader can still put out big piles of damage against bulkier ships.

My Double Deci list that I won a Store Championship with earlier this year works just fine even in this meta if you know how to play it(obstacle selection, obstacle placement, strategy against various builds).

RAC + VI + Vader - 50 points

Oicunn + Predator + Gunner - 50 points

The final list I beat was a Brobot list at the SC I won 100-25.

Decimators don't care about Zuckuss or 4Lom.  I've got you past shields and I have hp left? Good, take a crit from Vader.  Here comes Oicunn bumping you to death too.  Final kill on the Brobot list was an Oicunn bump with a 3 turn.

I do it all the time :P

100 points Pilots ------

“Echo” (40) TIE Phantom (30), Navigator (3), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

“Quickdraw” (34) Special Forces TIE (29), Rage (1), Electronic Baffle (1), Sensor Cluster (2), Special Ops Training (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

“Omega Leader” (26) TIE/fo Fighter (21), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

you burn Quickdraw to deals as much damage as quickly as possible, then you set-up an easy lategame with OmegaL and Echo

some matchup are hard tho, especially brobots and 4 TLT

Predator (3)

Gunner (5)

Rebel Captive (3)

Ysanne Isard (4)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Darth Vader (29)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Engine Upgrade (4)

TIE/x1 (0)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm