Sign in to follow this  
OpticFusion

Amount of cards used from two core sets

I think that it will be only the player cards, minus the unique assets and weaknesses, which would be 109 cards. That assumes that you are playing with four people. For example you will have eight copies of Knife, Flashlight and Emergency Cache but you only need a maximum of four when playing with two players.

As far as encounter sets are concerned. With 2 core sets, you can have all 3 scenarios constructed at the same time. You wont have to take the scenarios apart after each one. 

With two core sets I'm pretty sure you can build each core adventure without having to tear them apart for the reused cards.  A small convenience.

but of course some setup can vary depending on the outcome of the last scenario 

Is every "deck card" in there at least twice? It sounded like some cards are only in the box once (because FFG said you need two core sets for full deck building potential). Or was that "two coreset" comment talking about a 2-player situation?

Is every "deck card" in there at least twice? It sounded like some cards are only in the box once (because FFG said you need two core sets for full deck building potential). Or was that "two coreset" comment talking about a 2-player situation?

There is only one copy of each of the player cards associated with a class in the core set. I'm not sure about the neutral cards.

So if every item is only in once even with two boxes I can only make ONE investigator perfect, because every class is possible for 2 different investigators (some have the level 0-5 and others have level 0-2 deckbuilding rule for the same class).

That sucks. Why only one of the cards that make the game run .. hm.

Yes, and no. There are some combinations of investigators that don't work optimally because of 'sphere' overlap.

That said, this doesn't have to be a major problem in the long run since expansions introduce investigators with only 1 sphere (see the dunwich investigators).

Finally, since all the expansions 'only' carry doubles of player cards, you'd technically need to buy multiple sets of those as well to counter the 'problem'. Don't do it ;)

Long story short: complete playset is two cores. If you REALLY need more duplicates, I'd suggest using proxies.

Edited by StalkinPanda

For 1-2 players a single Core set is enough.

A second Core set is only really needed with up to 4 players.

Wouldn't each player normally have their own Core set anyway? My friends and I will each buy there own (and expansions), so there will be never be any shortage 'problem' as far as I'm concerned.

I have never bought a second Core set for any LCG I own, I rather spend the money on expansions.

I have 2 cores open in front of me. With this I was able to construct 4 of the starter decks as listed with a fifth missing Knife, Flashlight and Emergency Cache. I was also able to put together all three scenarios. All in there are 99 cards(not including mini cards or the second set of basic weaknesses) which are surplus to running a four player game.

So if every item is only in once even with two boxes I can only make ONE investigator perfect, because every class is possible for 2 different investigators (some have the level 0-5 and others have level 0-2 deckbuilding rule for the same class).

That sucks. Why only one of the cards that make the game run .. hm.

You can get multiple full investigators, but you'll be limited to pairs that avoid class overlaps.  For instance, Roland is Guardian/Seeker, and Wendy is Survivor/Rogue.  No overlap.

There are 4 copies each of Knife, Flashlight and Emergecy Cache

A minor gripe from me is that there shoud be 5 copies of these. I bought two sets with the idea of having all 5 investigator decks (the versions included in the LTP book, and the investigators decklists PDF at https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/15/ed/15ed565e-f90d-4040-a1bc-cc8150807995/ahc_decklists.pdf)and I found all of them use 2 copies each of the card, so there is one deck you cannot build.

A minor gripe from me is that there shoud be 5 copies of these. I bought two sets with the idea of having all 5 investigator decks (the versions included in the LTP book, and the investigators decklists PDF at https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/15/ed/15ed565e-f90d-4040-a1bc-cc8150807995/ahc_decklists.pdf)and I found all of them use 2 copies each of the card, so there is one deck you cannot build.

Build your own decks then.  Just because the starter decks use these cards doesn't mean that its a good choice.  Daisy has no need for the flashlights, Roland has better weapons than a knife, and neither Skids nor Wendy get much use from Emergency Cache.

Well, with 2 or more Cores it's a four-player game. I would be very surprised if FFG included enough cards in 2 core sets to allow you to build more decks than you can play with at a time.

For 1-2 players a single Core set is enough.

A second Core set is only really needed with up to 4 players.

Wouldn't each player normally have their own Core set anyway? My friends and I will each buy there own (and expansions), so there will be never be any shortage 'problem' as far as I'm concerned.

I have never bought a second Core set for any LCG I own, I rather spend the money on expansions.

Not always.  The "normal" for a lot of people is that you buy a game, bring it to your game group and everyone plays.  When my friend bought Fury of Dracula I didn't run out and buy myself a copy.  No need.  I love the LCG model, but as a former CCG player, the LCG model makes sense.  I've seen a lot of players who are new to LCGs with this game and an LCG doesn't fit the "normal" mold of board game groups.  Nothing wrong with that.  Just that not everyone is going to immediately key in on the fact that the whole group should buy the game so everyone can have 100% deck building freedom.  It is a small paradigm shift from what some are used to.

If you're looking to add a second core set for 2 players, which is what I am doing, here's what you would actually need from the player cards - you don't "need" anything from the scenario cards.

5 unique assets
70 class cards
14 neutral cards that there were 2 of
2 player reference cards (maybe "need" is a bit strong)
91 Cards Total

Now you'll have 2 of each class card and 4 of each neutral card.
As far as the unique assets, such as Roland's .38 Special, I don't see any rule that won't let you put a second one in your deck (provided you are Roland), a caveat being that most of these are Unique, which means only one can be out at a time.  For that reason, you could theoretically put weaknesses in your deck...  So you could *maybe* need those 15 weakness cards if you want to make a hard mode for yourself, but for the basic rule you'll never need more than the 10 weaknesses that come with one core set plus the investigator specific weakness for their deck.

And if you wanted 4 of each card for a 2 player set up, you would need a 3rd and 4th box of which you'd only need the 70 class cards from each box...

As far as the unique assets, such as Roland's .38 Special, I don't see any rule that won't let you put a second one in your deck

It has been clarified by FFG that you cannot. They are to be treated like Story assets.

Ah, that's good to know, thanks.  Reading further into this, it is disappointing to hear that they were misprinted and will be revised in further printings.  Guess I'll end up with a third core set eventually.