Sign in to follow this  
TylerTT

character to pack ratio

Per the Rules Reference:

RARITY

There are five levels of rarity. The rarity of a card is shown by a color behind the collector’s info. A die that comes with a card shares its rarity with that card.

Fixed (Gray): Fixed cards have a non-random distribution and always come in the same product.

Common (Blue): There are three common cards per booster pack.

Uncommon (Yellow): There is one uncommon card per booster pack.

Rare (Green): There is one rare card and its matching die per booster pack.

Legendary (Purple): One in six booster packs has its rare card and die replaced by a legendary card and its die.

I know that doesn't tell the ratio of characters to upgrades and support, though.

Edited by tropoFarmer

When I look at the Awakenings Card list I initially thought the rate is 36%, so roughly 1 in 3 packs... But I realised that my math was wrong on that. Someone has to do the math properly. I´m just not that good at it.

- Awakeneings has 24 characters out of 67 cards with dice.

- 3 of the characters (Rey/Kylo/Finn) are starter only so leaving 21 that appear in boosters.

- there are 7 dice cards exclusive to the starters (Rey/Kylo/Finn/F 11D/Force Throw/Lightsaber/Mind Probe) leaving 60 dice cards that can be opened in the boosters.

- 17 out of those 60 dice cards are legendary. 

- Awakenings has 6 legendary and 15 rare characters.

- So around 35% (6 out of 17) of legendary cards are characters and around 35% (15 out of 43) of the rares are characters.

So I think it is roughly 1 character in 3 packs. 

Well, I bought the game to play with my son. We bought a sealed booster box of 36 boosters to split between us and a starter each.

Before opening any boosters, we loved out first game of Rey/Finn vs Kylo/FO Trooper. In fact we had quite a few games with this.

Then we opened up all our boosters.

Games will still be Rey/Finn vs Kylo/Fo Trooper.

After a booster box, the only extra characters we have are a Rebel trooper and Padme.

After well over £100 spent, we're still no closer to customising our game by (as the rules say) "Building your team. You can choose up to 30 points of characters for your team".

I must admit to feeling a little disappointed now. I always thought the most exciting part of a customising a game like this was selecting the characters. Seems we're stuck with the ones from the starter sets after that much money sunk. I've played enough TCG/CCGs to know how rarity and probability works, but for a game all about selecting characters for a team, to only have 2 after 36 packs is pretty lame distribution.

Well, I bought the game to play with my son. We bought a sealed booster box of 36 boosters to split between us and a starter each.

Before opening any boosters, we loved out first game of Rey/Finn vs Kylo/FO Trooper. In fact we had quite a few games with this.

After a booster box, the only extra characters we have are a Rebel trooper and Padme.

After well over £100 spent, we're still no closer to customising our game by (as the rules say) "Building your team. You can choose up to 30 points of characters for your team".

I must admit to feeling a little disappointed now. I always thought the most exciting part of a customising a game like this was selecting the characters. Seems we're stuck with the ones from the starter sets after that much money sunk. I've played enough TCG/CCGs to know how rarity and probability works, but for a game all about selecting characters for a team, to only have 2 after 36 packs is pretty lame distribution.

Just know that there is someone else somewhere who got 34/36 packs with a character? =P

When I look at the Awakenings Card list I initially thought the rate is 36%, so roughly 1 in 3 packs... But I realised that my math was wrong on that. Someone has to do the math properly. I´m just not that good at it.

- Awakeneings has 24 characters out of 67 cards with dice.

- 3 of the characters (Rey/Kylo/Finn) are starter only so leaving 21 that appear in boosters.

- there are 7 dice cards exclusive to the starters (Rey/Kylo/Finn/F 11D/Force Throw/Lightsaber/Mind Probe) leaving 60 dice cards that can be opened in the boosters.

- 17 out of those 60 dice cards are legendary. 

- Awakenings has 6 legendary and 15 rare characters.

- So around 35% (6 out of 17) of legendary cards are characters and around 35% (15 out of 43) of the rares are characters.

So I think it is roughly 1 character in 3 packs.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to say 21/60?

Not sure where you guys are getting the 1 in 3 boosters will be a character? Can't base it off of the starters...

so far my limited experience and reading it doesn't seem to be that way...

For what its worth, if you got some decent rares I'm guessing that you'll be able to trade some out for characters.  Not an ideal pull but also not a completely bad route since you can trade specifically for the characters you would want.

This is my problem with the game. I know I won't be playing competitively, so there's no need to try and own everything. But the structure of the game and the need for characters means you still need to be able to buy tons of boosters, even to have very minimal deck building options. 

After buying £100+ worth of cards, that's a poor show. 

Thank you for saving me a bunch of time and money.  I was planning on stopping at the hobby store after work tonight to pick up the two starter sets and some booster packs.  However, after reading your post, I'm officially turned off by starting my first venture into a CCG.  A lot of people warned me about getting involved with CCGs, but I was under the impression that this game would be different.  I understand that this is a business, but seriously, only 2 characters out of 36 booster packs.  That is pretty lame distribution and if that is standard practice, I'm sure that's going to turn some people off.  Despite what these community forums pass off as the norm, not all of us play these games too competitively (X-Wing player 2+ years and have only entered one store tournament).

Is anyone seeing different results when buying the boosters to hopefully sway my opinion?

Edited by Darth Onyx

Thank you for saving me a bunch of time and money.  I was planning on stopping at the hobby store after work tonight to pick up the two starter sets and some booster packs.  However, after reading your post, I'm officially turned off by starting my first venture into a CCG.  A lot of people warned me about getting involved with CCGs, but I was under the impression that this game would be different.  I understand that this is a business, but seriously, only 2 characters out of 36 booster packs.  That is pretty lame distribution and if that is standard practice, I'm sure that's going to turn some people off.  Despite what these community forums pass off as the norm, not all of us play these games too competitively (X-Wing player 2+ years and have only entered one store tournament).

Is anyone seeing different results when buying the boosters to hopefully sway my opinion?

Just as an FYI roughly a 3rd of the rares/legendaries are characters. So characters should be turning up roughly 1 out every 3 packs - or 12 per booster box.

But even if that was guaranteed - you've the R/B/Y/Hero/Villain split. So you could easily pull a ton of cards that you can't use with your characters or vice versa - but that's where trading comes in I suppose. 

Unfortunately it is a chance rather than a guarantee. Each pack has a one in three chance of being a character, a ratio I am not yet meeting. 21 packs opened total of 3 characters received.

Furelli

My box was 36 packs obviously, with 6 characters.... (2 padmes they were opened right after each other if that means anything). On the plus side with the 5 loose packs I got in the store last night I got my 3rd padme.

You really just need to find people to trade with or buy singles. Nobody is going to get lucky enough to pull exactly the cards they need without getting a bunch of useless cards along the way. I think that if you get both starters and 10-15 boosters you should easily be able to trade your way to a decent deck.

Edited by jtstrick84

My first display (36 packs) had 14 characters in it.

The 12 booster I got at the prerelease event add 3 characters to that.

so I´m 17 out of 48. I got another 3 displays at home to crack open.