Sign in to follow this  
zhentil

Worlds Builds

For the finals I know Dan (The winner) had an imperial trooper list with 2x elite stormtroopers, elite heavies, agent blaise, 2x imperial officer, and rule by fear- He may have had something else too. The guy he faced had a rebel trooper list with c3po, gideon, 2x elite rebeltroopers, 2x elite echo base troopers.

Well congratulation DTDanix for the great result and for the world champion title! 

May i ask you to show us also your cc list? and may i ask you why eHeavy, didn't you prefer Esnowtrooper in order to be using with them reinforcement as well?

I placed 4th overall in the prelims, and lost my top-16 game in the end to a single 50/50 die roll, playing against Jesse of Vader's Finest fame.

The only game I lost in the prelims...was against DTDanix. He's a great guy, and a blast to play with, even as he pretty much proceeded to slaughter me from round one. I'd like to claim our game was a close win for him.  It wasn't.  ; )  Congrats DT!

Most of the other players I met there were great people too.  My top-16 with Jesse was one of the best games I've ever had, with lots of swings back and forth, and our banter as we watched our plays and counterplays, the dice booms and dice busts, was highly entertaining for me.

We have a -great- community of players, based on my Worlds experience!

DTDanix I wanted to say that was a great game and congrats on the win. Any chance you'd also share your command deck? I am always very curious about differences in command decks.

Thanks!

The command deck is pretty much what you would expect.

First, there are the required trooper/spy/general cards:

Grenadier

2x Reinforcements

Comm Disruption

Intel Leak

Negation

Tough Luck

That's 12 points, so you really only have 3 to work with.

I chose Lock On and Jump Jets.

Lock On helps get rid of the stupid dodge, or is accuracy or negate an evade in a pinch for some blast.

Jump Jets gets the heavies into the action, especially on Nelvaanian and Coruscant.  You can also just use it for some surprise attacks.

Other valid options here would be Inspiring Speech (one of my friends was playing this, I had to ditch Reinforcements with Blaise against him to get it out of his hand to not get wrecked), Strategic Shift, Hit and Run, or a few other pretty good cards.

For the 0's, it's pretty much all the standard required stuff:

Espionage Mastery

Element of Surprise

Planning

Take Initiative

Urgency

Deadeye

Urgency/Deadeye are the least useful probably, but there isn't anything better in my opinion.

Regarding the why on the eHeavies:

With hidden from Blaise, they become extremely good.  Blast 2 is particularly effective on the new ISB headquarters map.

The heavies can also take a decent amount of damage, which is nice.

Snowtroopers are pretty poor damage dealers unless you roll extremely well. They also cost more, which means you can't bring something else that is really good.

Any other top 16 lists?

I was running the same list as the winner (pretty much a slightly modified version of the list I won Nationals with), with a slightly different command deck. I was knocked out in the first round of elimination by the runner-up.

The differences in my command deck compared to DTDanix was:

-Jump Jets

-Tough Luck

+Rank and File

+Change of Plans

Change of Plans was pretty much my MVP all day, it straight up won me 2 games and could have helped me win in first round of elims if I had better rolls on the guys I reactivated. I agree with DTDanix about Urgency and Deadeye, both were pretty much filler and usually the cards I would discard to Rule by Fear or Zillo Technique. I can't think of anything that I would rather have in their place in the current card pool, but they were never a factor in any game.

I don't know his command deck, but a friend of mine also made top 16 with (also lost first round of elims):

2 x eNexu

2 x rHK

1 x rWampa

Gideon

C-3P0

Temporary Alliance

Beast Tamer

Edited by Crabhand

On the topic of how many players, was that a "sold out" event? I'm just curious because I'm planning to go in May with a couple of students and want to make sure we can get in. One of them graduates this year so I really want him to get a chance to play before he goes off to the marines or navy.

On the topic of how many players, was that a "sold out" event? I'm just curious because I'm planning to go in May with a couple of students and want to make sure we can get in. One of them graduates this year so I really want him to get a chance to play before he goes off to the marines or navy.

May's numbers for players allowed will be different since it is only Star Wars games. So no Netrunner, conquest or AGoT

Eric Dietsch here. Same exact list as Daniel Taylor's:

Rule By Fear
Zillo Tech
Officer x 2

Blaise
Heavies with Target Computer
Elite Storms
Elite Storms with Cross Training

Subbed out Lock On for Inspiring Speech (Matt C did as well). Also subbed out Jump Jets for Marksman as I tended to suicide my Heavies with it and Marksman gave me those few back line shots to snipe CP0 or other support figures.

Edited by All In

Congrats DTDanix 

I gotta say I personally hate the Blaise/Heavy list. Not because it's bad, I acknowledge it's a very strong list, I just personally dislike a lot of the elements. Tried it a few times and just hated the way it played. I'm probably not using Heavies to their full potential, but I just don't like them.

They are tough to kill, but their damage output is only slightly (1dmg on average) above eStromies, and you HAVE to buy targeting computer otherwise they suck. 

I find the speed 3 to be far too restrictive, but that can depend on the map. Maybe I'm just too used to playing fast lists.

They do benefit from Blaise (hidden) more than any other imperial unit. And I do hate Blaise interrogating doors but we won't start that debate up again. I also think Blaise's attack is weak. 

That being said, it's hard to compare them with eStormies because you'll always take 2 of them already anyway. Only other thing that kind of compares is two eProbes but they cost 10. 

I like that you acknowledge the new map and tight corridors, the blast in those areas is something I hadn't considered, and taking movement cards like jump jets and hit and run is probably a must for Heavies as well. 
I imagine the ISB map is actually pretty good for slow units too seeing as you can safely get right up to the doors and cover a large area. 

Interesting that you only took two spy groups. I've always seen that list done with 3, though I do like rule by fear as well..

As for zero point cards I do like Disorient. I'd take that over Deadeye but I also get very goo use out of Urgency. I would have thought that would be a great card in a list with Heavies. I'm surprised you guys don't rate it. 

Side note:

I really do think Zillo needs a rework. It's not fun to use, it's not fun to play against and it's in every single imperial list. 

I ran (top 16):

Bantha Rider

Beast Tamer

Bossk

regular Hks

elite Tusken Raiders

Gideon

C-3P0

Temporary Alliance

Devious Scheme

Command deck was:

Crush

Jundland Terror x2

Survival Instincts

Trandoshan Terror

Single Purpose

Urgency

Opportunistic

To the Limit

Element of Surprise

Take Initiative

Negation

Grisly Contest

Planning

Primary Target

Just to address the point about two spy groups, the reason for not dropping in another cross training is two-fold. Rule by Fear gives you more options for Blaise's Interrogate, as well as letting you see more of the deck which is always a plus. The other reason, and others are free to disagree, is that 3 spy groups is not necessary to make Comm Disruption effective. Of the currently played lists, the two biggest threats at 3 points are Grenadier and Son of Skywalker. While they are very real problems, and having an answer is preferable to not, it just isn't always going to be a factor that is worth transforming the list for. With two spies you can hit Reinforcements, Negation, Pummel, Jundland Terror, Lock On, Inspiring Speech, or even your opponent's Comm Disruption. I was running the 3 spies for a little while, but the number of times I found myself using Comm Disruption on a 3 cost card was too few to justify taking another Cross Training over Rule by Fear.

Jason Becker here...I was 3rd after Swiss. Eric or DT would be able to to say how many, but there were a few of that list being played from the PNW guys. I played against one on One Man's Trash and won by points, due to the Snows grabbing crates. Playing against it, I saw the advantages it could have over my list, mainly on the new map. With training grounds, Snows would be focused first turn, and there was a good chance they could pierce and focus from there on. Now, their offense has decreased on that map, and I usually spent actions healing the eStorms.

This is what I played

eStorm w/Crosstraining

eStorm

eSnow

Blaise

rOfficer x2

Zillo

My thoughts exactly with the 2 spies reasoning.

Disorient is a card I consider, but it is very situational.  Uses for Deadeye and Urgency pop up a lot more often than uses for Disorient.

I played Disorient in my ugnaught list for a little while, but it actually doesn't even make the cut in that anymore (I only have room for 3 0s in that list, and it has to be take init, surprise, and self defense for the junk droid lulz).

The problem with Urgency, is that it tends to leave your guys out to dry.  That reduces the number of cases where you want to use it.  When Urgency is good though, it is really good, especially for big objectives.

This is why I'll tend to keep Deadeye over Urgency when deciding what to discard.  Both can effectively solve the same problem, but Deadeye more often lets you shoot the same guy as Urgency but then move to a better spot.

Deadeye also lets you play riskier just by holding it, whereas you have to spend Urgency before you make the shot.

Regarding Zillo, it has become one of my favorite cards, right next to Rule by Fear.  Why?  Because it reduces some of the randomness in the game.  Instead of randomly getting a bad defense roll and getting screwed, I can mitigate that by discarding a card.

I kind of wish it was a neutral upgrade though, as every faction could benefit from the effects and it makes for interesting decisions in several parts of the game.

I don't like that it discourages taking Pierce 2 units.

I also somewhat dislike that basically everyone is going to take it.  Maybe every faction will get something like this though to help smooth out the randomness.

To answer Jason's comment above, me, Eric, Matt C., and Jerry (Gerald on some of the standings sheets) are the four players from the Seattle area that all took roughly the same list.  We all made top 8.