Sign in to follow this  
MaxPower

I'd ussually never complain, but the X-Wing Worlds Coverage is not up to FFGs usual standard

Yeah...

I don't know. Considering X-Wing is one of their best-selling products, if not the best-seller, I find they could have done a bit more. And for sure they could have supported the podcasters more. Which leaves me to question: are the FFG-employees a bit sick of X-Wing? Or what is the deal here? Why is there not the usual excellent coverage/enthusiasm?

Or, perhaps, did I miss a stream link?

EDIT: stupid title-typo. Pls disregard that.

Btw: I'm REALLY not trying to be disrespectful. FFG are awesome, and all that. I'm just trying to point out something I find lacking.

Edited by MaxPower

This has been mentioned elsewhere, but with FFG having so many great games to stream, and limited space for streaming spaces, it is understandable that it is lackluster coverage. To be honest, I think the coverage is the same as last year though (some preliminary rounds and top 16 +). 

Major Juggler started a thread with most of the major worlds info. It has more than 30k views, so not too hard to miss.

True, but you missed TC's point.

FFG has bad coverage that the community is forced to piece together, al la MajorJuggler

I can't speak to whether or not FFG has been sub-standard, as this is my first worlds experience. I don't imagine it's very easy to organize a massive event like worlds, and I'm sure most of the commentators are just regular employees (except Alex Davy), so you can't expect them to be the most knowledgeable at the respective games.

All of their employees are incredibly busy during this time.  Everyone has their hands full and they're already pretty much all hands on deck working long days.

It's hard to remember that they have other games and side events going on at the same time and are making sure those are running smoothly, enough so that even X-wing swiss takes a back seat until it gets to Top 16.

They've improved their twitter updates quite a bit from last year if I remember.

All of their employees are incredibly busy during this time.  Everyone has their hands full and they're already pretty much all hands on deck working long days.

It's hard to remember that they have other games and side events going on at the same time and are making sure those are running smoothly, enough so that even X-wing swiss takes a back seat until it gets to Top 16.

They've improved their twitter updates quite a bit from last year if I remember.

While understandable, that really suggests they should let volunteer enthusiasts run the coverage on their behalf. Heck, there's even odds that such folks might even be able to spot the 'interesting' matches just from the swiss pairings. :)

Volunteer enthusiasts did, in fact, fill the gap - Gold squadron podcast and Scum and villainy podcast joint twitch casted multiple rounds today.

https://www.twitch.tv/pastimesstarwars

Ffg supplied us a power cord and some duct tape.

I didn't know there was more live X-Wing Twitch content today I would've checked it out! :)

I think it will be cool in the future as the e-sports  or "e-tabeltop-sports?" world continues to grow for big X-Wing tourneys to have multiple groups broadcasting with a "press booth" or something.

There are definitely things that could be improved comparing it to pro sports coverage (which has billions of dollars and decades of experience) but I'm glad that we have a live broadcast and commentators for at least some of the games!

It's bound to only get better!

Don't set a low standard!   You can call out the coverage for how bad it is without it being a slap in the face to all those at FFG that work hard producing a great miniatures games.  These guys are professionals and can use the feedback from the average users about how challenging it is for people that want to see it & later buy more FFG stuff, get at good content.  With good thought and preparation coverage of X-wing can be a whole lot better.  It's a growing awesome game and quite frankly can benefit from better organization and communication.     OW!  who broke my soapbox!!!   I'm getting off it now.

What would be nice is if FFG would collaborate with some podcasts / groups that would be willing to come in with the sole purpose of covering the event. They could give these groups free entry to the event and give them all access to players / designers for interviews in between rounds, etc.. Then have an event page for each game that would have links to each website / live stream that is covering the event so people don't need to search for it.

FFG is improving but they still have a ways to go.

What would be nice is if FFG would collaborate with some podcasts / groups that would be willing to come in with the sole purpose of covering the event. They could give these groups free entry to the event and give them all access to players / designers for interviews in between rounds, etc.. Then have an event page for each game that would have links to each website / live stream that is covering the event so people don't need to search for it.

FFG has to negotiate that with LFL and Disney.

Its way more complicated than everyone seems to think.

I am somewhat familiar with the process. They have to get approval for stuff in print if they are doing it but they should be able to provide links to 3rd party websites covering the event.

Also, its not like they don't have 6 months to work it out with LFL for worlds in May.

What would be nice is if FFG would collaborate with some podcasts / groups that would be willing to come in with the sole purpose of covering the event. They could give these groups free entry to the event and give them all access to players / designers for interviews in between rounds, etc.. Then have an event page for each game that would have links to each website / live stream that is covering the event so people don't need to search for it.

I am somewhat familiar with the process. They have to get approval for stuff in print if they are doing it but they should be able to provide links to 3rd party websites covering the event.

Also, its not like they don't have 6 months to work it out with LFL for worlds in May.

Sure there's 6 months, but that's if they are willing to go for it (Dis/LFL)

Everything involved is potentially at risk. FFG is more than likely fine doing it all themself. They have a very exclusive and lucrative license. Why risk it? They literally have nothing to lose staying the corse and everything to lose opening live broadcasts to 3rd parties.

Edited by Silver leader