Sign in to follow this  
Schu81

Rebels - not allowed to win worlds again?

Somehow Rebel lists have been very weak in comparison to Scum and Imperials in the last few months.

All other factions seem to get awesome updates and really hot new stuff.

T-70s arent even in the game anymore.

Is FFG trying to make a new Champion, because Rebels have won the title too often already?

There are far more Imperial and Scum players than rebel players at worlds though.... isnt that at least a hint, that rebel lists might be less competitive in general?

And if so... then why are they weaker? They must have gotten the worse ships, skills and updates overca long period of time.

Even Paul Heaver plays Scum now.

Uhhhhhhhggggggg man I'm sorry but I am getting sick of these doomsday threads.

Mabey rebels aren't doing great in this specific competition (which we don't even have the friggin results from yet). That doesn't mean they are being nerfed.

If anything the most recent faq helped rebels by getting rid of those darn toilet seats.

There are far more Imperial and Scum players than rebel players at worlds though.... isnt that at least a hint, that rebel lists might be less competitive in general?

And if so... then why are they weaker? They must have gotten the worse ships, skills and updates overca long period of time.

Who wants to practice a list that can't standup to Uboats? And who wants to switch lists a week or two before worlds? I think that and HOTR not being playable makes a big difference.

Things that make a Rebel list good:

1. It's fun to play
  2. Player Skill
  3. List composition vs opposing list
  4. The list in a bubble judged by assorted criteria to taste
  5. The list versus the current Meta

Things that make a Rebel list bad:

1. Mental gymnastics
  2. 0.01% inefficiency (see above)
  3. Anecdotes (see above)
  4. Imperial Doctrine ("So let it be written, so let it be done." ~Emperor Palpatine, 1863)
  5. Corran Horn (Don't Blink!)

Opinion, yes. It was one of the reasons I quit. (I'm only here to see how the season finishes) Consider: the players believe the game is balanced. FFG commentaries constantly spend time pointing to data that would suggest it is, but is not proof of the claim to glaze over the real issue. But when you look at what won worlds the past couple years, and even what only got close, Rebels are common. Even this year Heaver is playing what may as well be a rebel list. But FFG has to put some data bit in the field as a point to legitimize the Scum faction, or at least recrown the empire. If it's one more year of Rebels, the harder it will be to pass off their brand of balance. Honestly I thought JM5k was their power play to that end. Imagine my surprise when they NERFED it. I think they realised it was to obvious and would not have been a good cover.

Tldr: been saying it for months.

We don't for sure there is more. There was more on Day1A but today is Day 1B and could be different.

Either way No there is not some conspiracy by FFG to have a different winning faction.

You'd have to carefully design each Rebel ship away from upgrades, or blatantly overpower the other two factions.

I would say that rebels are in a tough place at the moment though - not though either of the above, but other reasons.

Foremost is that Rebels have a lot of low agility high health ships - which is fine, but attacks are getting better and better, with more dice, more modifiers and more way to influence opposing greens as well. All of this combines to hurt the rebels and favour imps more. Scum have a lot of tools to mitigate damage and put it out.

I just feel that rebels lack the defence and action economy to really compete at the highest level.

I think there are three really big contributing factors to this:

1) I'm sure a lot of people were planning on using torp scouts, so when the nerf happened the adjusted to a different Jumpmaster list so they were able to stick with their experience flying that ship.

2) Palp aces and defenders have been a natural predator of torp scouts and are always strong lists in almost any meta, so a lot of competitive players go with that

3) ARCs (which I think will prove to be a very strong rebel ship) are still new and people may not feel comfortable playing them at high level tourneys yet, and HotR (which has some very nice toys for rebels) isn't legal for worlds.

Put all that together and it's a recipe for more Scum and imperial lists. It certainly doesn't scream conspiracy to me.