Crabbok

Wave 6 prediction thread

3 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I haven't considered wave 7 is under "new ownership"... I don't think Asmodee would try to stick their fingers into every game and change it. Unless they want to get some editors to proof read all the damn cards that are horribly written. 

It would be a nightmare if they tried to implement their own mechanics into Armada just because they can. 

Well, the precedent for the fact that shit got changed is the FAQ situation we have.

Teams of Developers were Reassigned.

Duties of People were completely changed.  

Wether or not "Asmodee" dictates anything or not or tries to change it, doesn't matter so much is the fact that its already basically happened...  only rather than see them take up half-completed work, we're watching them try to do something on their own for the first time...  

I'm hoping nothing changes.  But I have no optimism anymore.

...  Unless I can eat it.  Do I have to consume my enemies heart to gain their optimism..?

6 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I haven't considered wave 7 is under "new ownership"... I don't think Asmodee would try to stick their fingers into every game and change it. Unless they want to get some editors to proof read all the damn cards that are horribly written. 

It would be a nightmare if they tried to implement their own mechanics into Armada just because they can. 

Seems like an obviously poor decision.

13 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Well, that, and part of me thinks the Corellian Conflict might have been already done under the "new" system...  With the majority of Wave 5 as so, too...

The Rules side of things broke me.  I can't have fun anymore because of it.  

I think FFG had most of that done before Asmodee got a hold of them. Considering how much wave 5 was influenced by Rebels, I wonder if Disney had a direct play on the content we got. 

Also, I wonder if Disney gets the final word on what FFG can put into the Star Wars games they have. Why would we get the Venator, clearly a CW era ship, when the MC75 just got screen time? FFG/Asmodee would develop the mechanics for it, but I doubt Disney would let Asmodee have too much control over their IP.

I'm also just making this up as I go. It's going to be a slow day today.

MC75 vs Venator is a bad example, but point still stands. Is it possible we would get CW stuff when we are getting new content from Disney? And how much influence does Disney really have over what FFG is allowed to put into games now that movies are rolling out once a year?

Sigh 

I've already absorbed too much negativity from X-Wing to decide not to spend money on what's being berated as broken and unbalanced.

Reading through the comments above, I'm wondering if the order I was going to place today for Armada is worth it. It's an expensive game to get started, and I don't want to waste money on a game that is being spoken of so unfavourably.

Perhaps I should stick to watching Star Wars on the screen and find something else to game with.

Well, I'd question anything that states the Armada is Broken and Unbalanced.

Its not.

You'd be hard pressed to find a game that has the amount of tactical and strategic depth that Armada has, offhandedly...  At least not one that also grants you a minimum of prepwork, and a minimum of actual record-keeping on the side...  

I have a serious of personal issues with some members of the forum, which has reduced my love of the game - because I used to be all about the rules.  That's what I speak unfavourably to.  In most cases, I can get through and over quirks in the rules, because I can work them out - generally, to my gaming group satisfaction - but that doesn't work here.

So don't mistake my bitching for hating the game - because I love it, and it scratches the "large ship" with "intertia" itch that I've wanted to scratch since BFG Ended, and that Firestorm Armada completely failed to do.

Armada is very well balanced despite what a handful of people think. Buy more stuff and play games. The longer you wait, the more expensive it will be upfront to get into. From the people I have talked to, Armada is nothing like X-Wing, and a lot of people on the forums would agree with that. There is very little power creep, and no net listing to get the "win all beat all" fleet. 

This is by far the best miniature game I've ever played.

I think the biggest issue for getting into the game is having people in your area to play with. If there is no community, you may not want to buy in if you can't spend the time building the community. 

37 minutes ago, Eye of Thokem said:

Sigh 

I've already absorbed too much negativity from X-Wing to decide not to spend money on what's being berated as broken and unbalanced.

Reading through the comments above, I'm wondering if the order I was going to place today for Armada is worth it. It's an expensive game to get started, and I don't want to waste money on a game that is being spoken of so unfavourably.

Perhaps I should stick to watching Star Wars on the screen and find something else to game with.

Armada is a great game that really brings me a lot of enjoyment.  Unfortunately some people don't always have the best social skills, and the most vocal ones online are the ones who like to complain - who get validation by pointing out problems.  Nothing can be absolutely perfect, especially a game based on decades of inconsistant continuity.  I keep on reminding myself to avoid posts about opinions, because they usually stink.

If you have good people to play with you will have a great time.  I am currently losing a Corellian Conflict campaign and having a blast doing it.

Edited by OgRib
spelling

2 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

MC75 vs Venator is a bad example, but point still stands. Is it possible we would get CW stuff when we are getting new content from Disney? And how much influence does Disney really have over what FFG is allowed to put into games now that movies are rolling out once a year?

actually my friend, we just got a wave chock full of clone wars goddies.  pelta-clone wars.  z-95-clone wars.  Arquitens- u guessed it, clone wars.  I will concede that disney is giving us much new content, but alot of that content is the blending of ot and prequel materials.  Either way, more plastic pew pew on tables.  

On a side note, the separatist providence class was designed by quaren.  the mc75 profundity reminded me of that ship alot.  I just found that interesting to think about.  I also just love the look of sep ships.  cant beat a space wedge though.  venators to the death baby!!

Just now, Chuntsinger said:

actually my friend, we just got a wave chock full of clone wars goddies.  pelta-clone wars.  z-95-clone wars.  Arquitens- u guessed it, clone wars.  I will concede that disney is giving us much new content, but alot of that content is the blending of ot and prequel materials.  Either way, more plastic pew pew on tables.  

On a side note, the separatist providence class was designed by quaren.  the mc75 profundity reminded me of that ship alot.  I just found that interesting to think about.  I also just love the look of sep ships.  cant beat a space wedge though.  venators to the death baby!!

Yes, I know all of that. But the Pelta and Arq are both in Rebels, aka new Disney content. Z-95 is from the CW era, but has also been featured in other content like X-Wing and EaW, both of which focus on the OT.

ISDs are made by Kuat, and so were Venators. This doesn't mean we will get Venators. I'd love to have them. They are my favorite ship by far, but my point was Disney has a hold on CW content. They are rewriting their new content that is expanding on the OT and beyond. I just don't see them adding CW ships now when there is new content and ships in the movies/books being released.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:20 PM, Swusn said:

1204 Meters compared to an ISD's 1600 meters or a VSD at 900 meters or AFmkII is 700 meters. I would guess it is in the lower range of a large base but I sure would like to see another rebel medium base.

except the af2 is WAY to big in this game

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:20 PM, Rune Taq said:

You are correct. Mc80s are similar I. Size to mc75s so I would expect large base but less armaments. It was one of the first Mon calamari ships to be militarized according to the ultimate visual guide I have. I would expect it to not be as well armed and protected as the mc80s that came later in the star wars universe.  Check page 12 or 13ish for a pic.

except we get an mc80 in rebels this season soooo....

The Home One-type ships are Exploration Cruisers, rather than refitted "skyscraper ships". 

I'm not sure where the Liberty and Wingless Liberty come from in the newcanon - in the EU, the Liberty was a refitted liner (but the liner design itself was always intended for warship conversion, so it was vastly tougher than a liner needed to be), and the Wingless Liberty-type was the MC80A - one of the earlier dedicated warships the Mon Cals had started building for the Rebels. 

I would suggest that something similar applies in the newcanon - the Rebels start off with a few Home-One type MC80s - they start converting skyscraper ships to warships (MC75) and finally they start building ships as "warship from the start" (Liberty-type or Wingless Liberty type).

10 hours ago, Tirion said:

except we get an mc80 in rebels this season soooo....

Really? I didn't know about mc80s in rebels this season. Well excellent job to Disney on being consistant. It literally says the profundity was one of the first but I guess that an mc80 could have been refittef early also. 

4 minutes ago, Rune Taq said:

Really? I didn't know about mc80s in rebels this season. Well excellent job to Disney on being consistant. It literally says the profundity was one of the first but I guess that an mc80 could have been refittef early also. 

You do understand that the current season of 'Rebels' is, like, 2 years...tops from 'Rogue One', right?  "Capital" ships generally have as long a shakedown cruise, and it's also all but certain that ALL of the MC75s and MC80s we've seen were already combat-ready some years before the 'Rebels' series even started.

I mean, we'll find out for sure as the episodes come, but...wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that all of the Mon Cal ships have seen a decade of 'resistance' at this point.

40 minutes ago, xanderf said:

You do understand that the current season of 'Rebels' is, like, 2 years...tops from 'Rogue One', right?  "Capital" ships generally have as long a shakedown cruise, and it's also all but certain that ALL of the MC75s and MC80s we've seen were already combat-ready some years before the 'Rebels' series even started.

I mean, we'll find out for sure as the episodes come, but...wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that all of the Mon Cal ships have seen a decade of 'resistance' at this point.

I don't think that is in line with the visual guide of Rogue One.I'm with Rune Take on this one

who's to say that the mc75 wasnt first then the 80 came out a year or so later? they were both very new and multiple weapons systems can be devised very soon after eachother.  look at the stg 44 and fg 42. both were developed in 1942.  the visual guide says that the profundity was one of the first not specifically THE  first militarized mon cal ship.  Also, who's to say that raddus is the captain of that mc80 in the trailer.  i think rebels will answer the question though.  did anybody notice though that the profundity looks similar to a providence destroyer (separatist ship in rots)?

Edited by Chuntsinger

20 hours ago, Tirion said:

I don't think that is in line with the visual guide of Rogue One.I'm with Rune Take on this one

Visual guide says - "the peaceful Mon calamari learned harsh and costly lessons during the clone wars. So when the empire brought the more subjugation, the aquatic race was ready. A launch of spaceworthy structures that the empire mistook to be city buildings heralded a mass exodus from the watery world to safer shoals in the depths of space. The Mon calamari took to converting these transports and passenger liners into capital ships, with Admiral Raddus' Profundity one of the first ready for battle."

It also says "Pre-war the Profundity was the civic governance tower of Nystullun - an underwater city beneath the northern ice flies of the planet."

It does not say when it was ready in respect to rogue one. 

So it is possible that many were combat ready at the time of rogue one and it's just noting that the profundity was one of the first. That could have been a couple years before rogue one.

I updated this and put the direct quote from the visual guide.

Edited by Rune Taq

It's a distinct possibility that the MC75 was the flagship of the battle group near Yavin. I mean if it's a galaxy wide rebellion...there is a good chance there could be other Mon Cal led battlegroups elsewhere....I mean Ackbar could be chillin out in Home One somewhere for all we know. 

Consider that the fleet over Scarif isn't the only Rebel Fleet...there could be more.

I saw the fleet that attacked Scarif as a task force, augmented by whatever they could pull in from adjacent sectors.  It'd take too much time to redeploy an entire fleet, which is something they did not have.

25 minutes ago, Gottmituns205 said:

Consider that the fleet over Scarif isn't the only Rebel Fleet...there could be more.

I think it was in the visual guide that I read the rebel fleet over scariff was just the ships at yavin and any near scariff.

as soon as raddus got word of the rebels landing on sacriff he was on the profoundity asap and called in all pilots and captains on yavin and near scariff to join him. The council couldn't stop it. Rogue one literally kicked the rebellion into gear.

what followed is the best space battle ever.