Sign in to follow this  
killerbeardhawk

Titles that could use an update

I don't think Virago needs an update, the StarViper might do with another title though, something more generic.

Starvipers need the slots from Virago by default. Virago should do something cool like allowing you to raise or lower your pilot skill by some amount at the start of the activation phase. If you do so, your pilot skill is adjusted the opposite direction by the same amount in for the combat phase. Make it something like + or -3 PS.

Xizor with Virago can do one of three things each round:

1. Move and shoot at PS7

2. Move at PS10, shoot at PS4

3. Move at PS4, shoot at PS10

I think something like that is different for effects that just go straight to a ship's effieciency and would be really fun on the Starviper.

Virago

as before, but Sensor and Illicit upgrades each got 3 point discount.

The StarViper needs help, but I'm not sure it needs 6 points of help.

I wish we could put extra munitions tokens on illicit upgrades. Virago could have 2 uses of Glitterstim, or inertial dampeners, or Stealth Device.

There's no reason they couldn't go on illicits. The tokens themselves have no intrinsic effect. It would be kind of cool to have Virago give a second use of disposable illicits.

I wish we could put extra munitions tokens on illicit upgrades. Virago could have 2 uses of Glitterstim, or inertial dampeners, or Stealth Device.

There's no reason they couldn't go on illicits. The tokens themselves have no intrinsic effect. It would be kind of cool to have Virago give a second use of disposable illicits.

Quite so, yes. If they would create the rule card I've proposed elsewhere on this thread, they could add a line in the FAQ to allow Ordnance Tokens on EPT and/or illicits.

I had previously been kind of whining that the Extra Munitions card should have applied to illicits from the start. Looking at the list of ships with both an illicit and Torpedo slot, I'm kind of giggling at a contracted scout with 2 Torpedoes and 2 uses of Glitterstim.

I think the only other Scum ship that has the Torpedo/Illicit combo is the Virago, but the design space might be a bit constricted if it becomes routine for ships to get multiple uses from one shot items.

Just realized: they could errata the dot right _off_ the Virago. Make it non unique. I'm not sure if that makes the low PS StarVipers good, but it opens options.

Well, there is still the PS issue that has kept it from being equipped on them.

Also, FFG would never do that as the Virago is a specific ship, much like the millennium falcon. Would be a real thematic killer if you could have two of them.

Just realized: they could errata the dot right _off_ the Virago. Make it non unique. I'm not sure if that makes the low PS StarVipers good, but it opens options.

Well, there is still the PS issue that has kept it from being equipped on them.

Also, FFG would never do that as the Virago is a specific ship, much like the millennium falcon. Would be a real thematic killer if you could have two of them.

Both are fair points. And you're probably not going to see Guri and Xizor in the same list unless things get _super op buffed_.

Slave 1 Title Card. Gives Sensor and Torpedo slot. 

OR

Slave 1 Dual Title Card  (similar to Falcon sloop title). Allows you to change a 1 bank to a 1 turn and receive a stress token then flip it over after doing so. Other side allows you to change a 3 turn to a 3 talon and receive a stress token then flip it over after doing so. 

Haven't really thought about how "balanced" either would be in detail, but the Slave 1 title needs a serious update. 

I have always thought that the Slave-1 needed a system slot.

I am pretty sure the ordnance tokens wouldn't do anything RAW, because it is the text on Extra Munitions that lets you discard ordnance tokens instead of the cards.

THIS!!! The decision to write the rules this way is absolutely strange, and I've been scratching my head over it for a while. Good news?

They could easily write a rules card with the following text (taken directly from the Extra Munitions card):

Ordnance Token

When you are instructed to discard an Upgrade card, you may discard 1 ordnance token on that card instead.

That would let them do things like place ordnance tokens on EPTs or other expendables.

In fact... A Virago-only Torpedo slot upgrade that let you put 2 ordnance tokens on an EPT, letting the named pilots have multiple uses of, say, Crack Shot, Cool Hand, or Adrenaline Rush.

Yeah, I made this near the end of July, because I hadn't realize how badly Boba Fett could mess up a fully loaded bomber and found it annoying. I got my share of flack for it, people telling be casually it was one thing, but otherwise I would be trying to cheat, lol. 

28269882310_6c33656b03.jpg

I am pretty sure the ordnance tokens wouldn't do anything RAW, because it is the text on Extra Munitions that lets you discard ordnance tokens instead of the cards.

THIS!!! The decision to write the rules this way is absolutely strange, and I've been scratching my head over it for a while. Good news?They could easily write a rules card with the following text (taken directly from the Extra Munitions card):

Ordnance TokenWhen you are instructed to discard an Upgrade card, you may discard 1 ordnance token on that card instead.

That would let them do things like place ordnance tokens on EPTs or other expendables.In fact... A Virago-only Torpedo slot upgrade that let you put 2 ordnance tokens on an EPT, letting the named pilots have multiple uses of, say, Crack Shot, Cool Hand, or Adrenaline Rush.
Yeah, I made this near the end of July, because I hadn't realize how badly Boba Fett could mess up a fully loaded bomber and found it annoying. I got my share of flack for it, people telling be casually it was one thing, but otherwise I would be trying to cheat, lol.  28269882310_6c33656b03.jpg

With the way that FFG ruled on Fett and ordnance tokens he isn't that effective against a fully loaded bomber. If he goes for ordnance he can remove a single shot because a token can be discarded in lieu of the card that Fett discards. It's useless for Fett to discard Extra Munitions because Extra Muntions also gets an ordnance token.

By all means, this one:

hounds-tooth.png

You may deploy the Nashtah Pub any time

OR

The Nashtah Pub gets the same ability like the YV-666 pilot (Bossk or Latts in this case)

If the Pup is deployed, then Bossk is off the YV-666 so it just sits on the play-mat unused the rest of the game? ...or am I missing a logic step?

No you're right it's nonsense. He hasn't read the card or the Reference Card that explains how and when it works.  And it's not actually an addition to the title as the OP is looking for (It's not a title that needs any updating), it's a big rewrite of the card that makes no sense as you've pointed out. 

Relax, I know the card text. Of course it has to be adapted. I was not sitting here and thinking 3 weeks about a possible solution, this is FFG's job. I just wanted to mentioned that the title is not played the way it is now. The points are rather invested into crew, ordnance or mod

THIS!!! The decision to write the rules this way is absolutely strange, and I've been scratching my head over it for a while. Good news?They could easily write a rules card with the following text (taken directly from the Extra Munitions card):

Ordnance Token When you are instructed to discard an Upgrade card, you may discard 1 ordnance token on that card instead.

That would let them do things like place ordnance tokens on EPTs or other expendables.In fact... A Virago-only Torpedo slot upgrade that let you put 2 ordnance tokens on an EPT, letting the named pilots have multiple uses of, say, Crack Shot, Cool Hand, or Adrenaline Rush.
Yeah, I made this near the end of July, because I hadn't realize how badly Boba Fett could mess up a fully loaded bomber and found it annoying. I got my share of flack for it, people telling be casually it was one thing, but otherwise I would be trying to cheat, lol.  

28269882310_6c33656b03.jpg

With the way that FFG ruled on Fett and ordnance tokens he isn't that effective against a fully loaded bomber. If he goes for ordnance he can remove a single shot because a token can be discarded in lieu of the card that Fett discards. It's useless for Fett to discard Extra Munitions because Extra Muntions also gets an ordnance token.

It's not useless, he'd just have to do it twice.

Slave 1 Title Card. Gives Sensor and Torpedo slot.

I have always thought that the Slave-1 needed a system slot.

30677919712_441e9101f8.jpg

d77c91c5dd07a86bb8adea610460a1d8.jpg

Top of Slave 1 had a sensor jammer...figured it would work fluff wise and would also make Slave 1 more worthwhile than just adding a torpedo slot.

30160187783_5e0407249b.jpg

Edited by gabe69velasquez

By all means, this one:

hounds-tooth.png

You may deploy the Nashtah Pub any time

OR

The Nashtah Pub gets the same ability like the YV-666 pilot (Bossk or Latts in this case)

If the Pup is deployed, then Bossk is off the YV-666 so it just sits on the play-mat unused the rest of the game? ...or am I missing a logic step?

No you're right it's nonsense. He hasn't read the card or the Reference Card that explains how and when it works.  And it's not actually an addition to the title as the OP is looking for (It's not a title that needs any updating), it's a big rewrite of the card that makes no sense as you've pointed out.

Relax, I know the card text. Of course it has to be adapted. I was not sitting here and thinking 3 weeks about a possible solution, this is FFG's job. I just wanted to mentioned that the title is not played the way it is now. The points are rather invested into crew, ordnance or mod

No. I don't agree with you at all. I've used Nashtah Pub to good effect and the changes you've suggested are crazy. You don't have to think for three week, you just have to think about what you are writing before you write it. Deploying the Nashtah Pub on the first round would mean your YV-666 sits on the board like an asteroid token for the rest of the game, handing your party bus points over to the enemy, lol.

Pup, not pub. ;)

No reason to get annoyed. I agree that the Hounds Tooth needs no adjusting. Especially because as proposed it would just be a kind of Ghost/Phantom clone.

I found it funny ("lol").

But it's a little worse than you say, Hera Syndulla (Attack Shuttle) is worth 22 points,

Nashtah Pup 6 points, for a good reason.

It's not useless, he'd just have to do it twice.

Boba Fett (Crew) is discarded at the same time and is Unique.

Can't do it twice.

Dang, I've only ever used him once with an Advanced Homing Missile to take out Palpatine,

and the game ended shortly after, I was so please with my success I never thought twice about it.

Boba-fett-0.png30187159193_35eb51b42c_o.png

I'll be real, the Crow could totally use a higher attack value on its main gun and the illicit slot.

I don't think that's quite right. It's cheaper to get a rebel operative TLT, and people don't take it. Why?

I think the HWK is simply too fragile, with a dial that's not really good enough to joust. Giving it the same attack value as a Y-Wing or Z-95 won't change that.

Instead, let's try and figure out a way to mitigate incoming damage. That way it can do it's job as a support without dying so fast that it doesn't earn back its points.

This. Esp. with all the new hotness of tons of Red Dice, snapshot, crackshot etc. imho it's nowadays far too easy to just gun-down or even oneshot a Hwk (or other support-ships).

Edited by Managarmr

A few thoughts... with commentary in tinytext just to make it clearer what the logic is. :)

Moldy Crow

{Rest unchanged}
Increase your Shield value by 1.

Would love to make this part of the basic hull, but failing that, if you're paying points for a ship to have a bigger round-to-round effect (And generally a more expensive build besides), it'd sure be nice if it lasted long enough to actually matter, wouldn't it? An extra shield is a decent way to go, buying you time for those extra Focus tokens to be able to count.

• Virago

{Rest unchanged}
When attacking, you may reroll 1 die.

You can have all kinds of cool abilities, but what the Virago really needs is a way to be scary enough to be a priority target - thus making Xizor something you'd care about shooting at, and letting Guri's focus tokens have a noticable defensive impact. Simply throwing in a rerollable die helps offense, and helps reduce the reliance on Predator and/or FCS into the bargain, leaving those slots free for other, more fun, stuff.

Royal Guard Pilot

{Rest unchanged}
Your upgrade bar gains the [EPT] icon if you do not already have it.

Opens up the interesting Interceptors without actually needing a new card or balance patch. Worthwhile? Who knows, but at least it's an upgrade that literally can't hurt the balance of the current top picks - they get no effect.

• Nashta Pup Pilot
Z-95.
You have the pilot skill, pilot ability, and up to 1 [EPT] and [Crew] upgrade of the friendly destroyed ship equipped with the Hound's Tooth Upgrade card.

It's not a title, but this (And a saner approach to MoV) is the way to make the Pup worth its salt; trying to shoehorn the text onto Hounds Tooth to make it worthwhile is simply trying to solve the problem in the wrong direction.
Edited by Reiver

I'll be real, the Crow could totally use a higher attack value on its main gun and the illicit slot.

I won't say the Crow was ever a bird with a lot of diverse tricks up her sleeve but boooooy was she heavily modified.

I don't think that's quite right. It's cheaper to get a rebel operative TLT, and people don't take it. Why?

I think the HWK is simply too fragile, with a dial that's not really good enough to joust. Giving it the same attack value as a Y-Wing or Z-95 won't change that.

Instead, let's try and figure out a way to mitigate incoming damage. That way it can do it's job as a support without dying so fast that it doesn't earn back its points.

This. Esp. with all the new hotness of tons of Red Dice, snapshot, crackshot etc. imho it's nowadays far too easy to just gun-down or even oneshot a Hwk (or other support-ships).

30526113150_404afed5ef.jpg

I won't say the Crow was ever a bird with a lot of diverse tricks up her sleeve but boooooy was she heavily modified.

30526113150_404afed5ef.jpg

Give it an illicit slot if you must, letting it buy the Cloaking Device. But handing one to it willy-nilly seems a tad nuts.

Personally, I'd just rather an extra shield point, maybe even two. This would buy you the health to live long enough for those Focus tokens... to help you live even longer. ;)

30196161634_0fce4ea3a8.jpg

30526421440_f539d5238b.jpg

30526839210_c73ee155b5.jpg

• Nashta Pup Pilot
Z-95.
You have the pilot skill, pilot ability, and up to 1 [EPT] and [Crew] upgrade of the friendly destroyed ship equipped with the Hound's Tooth Upgrade card.

It's not a title, but this (And a saner approach to MoV) is the way to make the Pup worth its salt; trying to shoehorn the text onto Hounds Tooth to make it worthwhile is simply trying to solve the problem in the wrong direction.

I find this an oddball solution because the Z-95 has no crew slot.
If you said the Nashtah Pup could take one crew upgrade's ability
as it's pilot ability, and the EPT, that would be interesting.

"When the ship equipped with the Hound's Tooth Upgrade card is destroyed, 

you may take as your pilot ability either its pilot ability, or the equipped <EPT>, 

or one equipped Crew upgrade's ability."

30196161634_0fce4ea3a8.jpg

30526421440_f539d5238b.jpg

30526839210_c73ee155b5.jpg

• Nashta Pup Pilot

Z-95.

I find this an oddball solution because the Z-95 has no crew slot.

If you said the Nashtah Pup could take one crew upgrade's ability

as it's pilot ability, and the EPT, that would be interesting.

"When the ship equipped with the Hound's Tooth Upgrade card is destroyed, 

you may take as your pilot ability either its pilot ability, or the equipped <EPT>, 

or one equipped Crew upgrade's ability."

The Nashta Pup was specially modified to take an extra passenger. ...So was N'dru's, granted, but let's not get carried away here. ;)

It seems appropriate for the special-Z95-that-isn't to be able to boast an unusual upgrade accordingly, and (crucially) means that there is more than one pilot that benefits from the 'take upgrades with you' ability.

I'd prefer that Virago if the effect was exactly backwards - perform a Boost or Barrel Roll, get a free Target Lock. It's a decent way to boost their firepower while emphasizing mobility, while emphasizing the mobility - the Virago was noted to be almost organic in the way it could dance through the void. I still prefer the idea of simply handing them a reroll (applying conditions as appropriate), because it helps the relatively-low PSes present be able to capitalize on whatever shots are possible at the time, but... if you must go the bonus-actions route, might as well do it that way.

That Royal Guard TIE mod is simply horrifying. What, Carnor and Soontir weren't good enough for you yet? :P If we must touch that card (And I note, it is a very good card), we should be helping the bottom-feeders by handing out an EPT, not boosting some of the most powerful token-stacking aces in the game by handing them yet more tokens.

Edited by Reiver