Sign in to follow this  
FourDogsInaHorseSuit

Scourge/Mithel + Snap Shot

Combo or nonbo?

Snap Shot says the attack can't be modified but I'm not convinced the extra die from scourge and Mauler Mithel counts as a modification per the rules.

I'm leaning towards combo because the extra die is given in a separate step in the attack flow chart than the modify dice step.

Also, what about Howlrunner? Does the "you" on snap shot mean me the player or the pilot equipped with the card? Because I the player can't use a howlrunner or Jonus reroll, but you the card could benefit from it.

EDIT: Oops howlrunner only works on primary weapons.

Edited by FourDogsInaHorseSuit

Why is it not legal for Worlds?  Came out too recently?  That's a shame.  I hate that rule if that's what it is.  If it's out the day of, it should be legal.  I'm more about shaking things up!

I think those pilots are worth it to put it on.  

Also, what about Howlrunner? Does the "you" on snap shot mean me the player or the pilot equipped with the card? Because I the player can't use a howlrunner or Jonus reroll, but you the card could benefit from it.

Howlrunner and Jonus are worded in such a way that the attacking ship is the one that is performing the modification.

This is Howlrunner's ability:

"When another friendly ship at Range 1 is attacking with its primary weapon, it may reroll 1 attack die."

For that ability to count as Howlrunner being the ship that is modifying the attack dice it would need to be something like this:

"When another friendly ship at Range 1 is attacking with its primary weapon, you may choose 1 attack die. The attacker must reroll that die."

Does that difference make sense?

Edited by WWHSD

Why is it not legal for Worlds?  Came out too recently?  That's a shame.  I hate that rule if that's what it is.  If it's out the day of, it should be legal.  I'm more about shaking things up!

The tournament rules require some number of days and each time I bother to look it up I frown and say "Monday..."

Then there's a heavy sigh.

Howlrunner and Jonus are worded in such a way that the attacking ship is the one that is performing the modification.

This is Howlrunner's ability:

"When another friendly ship at Range 1 is attacking with its primary weapon, it may reroll 1 attack die."

For that ability to count as Howlrunner being the ship that is modifying the attack dice it would need to be something like this:

"When another friendly ship at Range 1 is attacking with its primary weapon, you may choose 1 attack die. The attacker must reroll that die."

Does that difference make sense?

So no rerolls, but yes on extra dice?

Indeed. And the payoff can be pretty impressive if you do. 

but yes, the precedent is set by Omega Leader (as this got ruled on) - the ship firing snap shot cannot modify dice, but other sources of dice modificaiton can.

So Howlrunner, target locks, and so on don't work.

Palpatine, however, for example, can 'reach in' and change a result to a critical. M9-G8 also seems like it works as it's worded the same.

So no rerolls, but yes on extra dice?

You can add extra dice, provided those dice are rolled freely. Adding 'fixed results' (like Backdraft, Finn, or Norra Wexley) isn't allowed.

Otherwise you could never get a 'range 1/range 3' bonus on Omega Leader, which has been confirmed as allowed.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

They changed the rules before wave 9 dropped at GenCon to give an 11 day grace period before something is legal at the top two tournament tiers.

AFAICT it's to give them time to issue an FAQ for any new releases so that the relevant rulings are clear in advance.