Sign in to follow this  
TitaniumChopstick

Poll: Worst Looking Ship in X-Wing

I do wonder how much of this is also Member Berries.... For example would the B-Wing be on the list if it was not in the Original Trilogy? Are the people who don't mind the Punisher people that played the computer game that had it in years ago?

I played that game like crazy for years, and the TIE Punisher (TIE Bomber tier 3) in that game was as ugly and even more worthless than in this one.
I don't even know which game we are talking about and still like the punisher, so it goes the other way as well.
Galactic Battlegrounds

A not totally bad rip-off the Age of Empires II: Age of Kings game, modded to look Star Wars.

Actually, I think it is a rip-off of Conquerors. It has a lot of the improvements that Conquerors added (like workers automatically going to work once they constructed a mine or lumbermill)r

I do wonder how much of this is also Member Berries.... For example would the B-Wing be on the list if it was not in the Original Trilogy? Are the people who don't mind the Punisher people that played the computer game that had it in years ago?

I played that game like crazy for years, and the TIE Punisher (TIE Bomber tier 3) in that game was as ugly and even more worthless than in this one.

I don't even know which game we are talking about and still like the punisher, so it goes the other way as well.

Galactic Battlegrounds

A not totally bad rip-off the Age of Empires II: Age of Kings game, modded to look Star Wars.

Actually, I think it is a rip-off of Conquerors. It has a lot of the improvements that Conquerors added (like workers automatically going to work once they constructed a mine or lumbermill)r

Well, yes, of course. They performed their total conversion on the expansion, not on the vanilla game. It had also the feature of queuing farms on the windmill- sorry, food processing center, the fishtraps and basically all other UI improvements added.

But the only thing they really added that Conquerors didn't have was the shields, because even the flying units existed as the Flying Dutchman and the dragon that you could get with cheats in the original. Maybe also the animal pen, so that you can get food from sheep- I mean- nerfs instead of killing them.

Yup Animal nurseries were new, and tbh, the whole unit system is different as well. Not really any "trash" units, and only 1 "cavalry" unit. And monks and swordsmen kind of got mashed together. There's a lot of differences. Just the same "base" game.

E-Wing for me.  It's one of the rebel ships I haven't bought yet because I can't get over its ugliness.  I've seen alternate E-wing designs that actually look good and I'm disappointed the bland design is the one FFG went with.

My vote goes for the Jumpmaster 5000 as the ugliest ship.

Although I'm a huge bounty hunter fan, the design of the Jumpmaster 5000 never really sat well with me. Same goes for the G1-A. I love the pilots and basically like the ships by association.

Unlike many of you, I find the K-wing and TIE Punisher to be very cool. Unimaginative? Sure. But they definitely don't look ugly. And to me, the YV-666 has always been a beautiful ship.

Yup Animal nurseries were new, and tbh, the whole unit system is different as well. Not really any "trash" units, and only 1 "cavalry" unit. And monks and swordsmen kind of got mashed together. There's a lot of differences. Just the same "base" game.

Cavalry was replaced by mechs.

Man, this thread just goes to show how subjective tastes can be, I guess. Some votes I disagree with but can understand what people find ugly. Hound's tooth or TIE punisher I like, but I get it that they're kind of clunky. Starviper I love, but it doesn't seem very 'star wars'-ey. 

But then there are people saying Decimator, Mist Hunter, Outrider?? Hard for me to understand how someone could find those the worst. Heck, I'd vote Outrider among the very best.

Agreed. I like the TIE Punisher. Unlike the gun boat, it looks like a TIE and looks like it belongs in the imperial arsenal. The TIE Punisher is what Lucas Arts should have came up with way back when they made TIE Fighter.

There is some obsession with the gunboat here. A few comments on your post:

1. The gunboat has nothing to do with the TIE Punisher. They aren't remotely the same kind of ship. Perhaps you mean the missile boat? (That is a totally different ship)
  2. The gunboat isn't the only imperial ship that doesn't look like a TIE. 
  3. TIE Fighter (that introduced the TIE Defender and the Missile Boat) had a story line where it justifies the use of non-Sienar fighters. It isn't arbitrary. Even if they had refurnished the TIE Punisher with SLAM, tractor beam, and faster engines to face the traitor imperial forces in the storyline, it wouldn't make any sense, because these traitors controlled Sienar production lines and... exactly... the TIE Punisher is made by Sienar.
  4. TIE Fighter got a lot of criticism for the TIE Defender. Back then, it was said it was pure power creep with uninspired design because of its third panel concept. What do you think people would have said if they added also the TIE Punisher?

Possible I am confused. It has been 20 years. Though I remember the gunboat well enough. It was more OP than the TIE defender which was rather ridiculous from a story perceptive at first and then later in XvT, it was so OP that it broke the game.

But then there are people saying Decimator, Mist Hunter, Outrider?? Hard for me to understand how someone could find those the worst. Heck, I'd vote Outrider among the very best.

The YT-2400 is my favorite ships in the Star Wars universe since SotE. The Mist Hunter is the best looking scum ship, at this time, in my opinion. Well, I love the Y-Wing design, but the model is not the best. The Mist Hunter kind of reminds me of a (compact) Chinook Helicopter, I like it.

The Decimator, it is ok. To me it is forgettable. Not bad, not good, just there.

Agreed. I like the TIE Punisher. Unlike the gun boat, it looks like a TIE and looks like it belongs in the imperial arsenal. The TIE Punisher is what Lucas Arts should have came up with way back when they made TIE Fighter.

There is some obsession with the gunboat here. A few comments on your post:

1. The gunboat has nothing to do with the TIE Punisher. They aren't remotely the same kind of ship. Perhaps you mean the missile boat? (That is a totally different ship)
  2. The gunboat isn't the only imperial ship that doesn't look like a TIE. 
  3. TIE Fighter (that introduced the TIE Defender and the Missile Boat) had a story line where it justifies the use of non-Sienar fighters. It isn't arbitrary. Even if they had refurnished the TIE Punisher with SLAM, tractor beam, and faster engines to face the traitor imperial forces in the storyline, it wouldn't make any sense, because these traitors controlled Sienar production lines and... exactly... the TIE Punisher is made by Sienar.
  4. TIE Fighter got a lot of criticism for the TIE Defender. Back then, it was said it was pure power creep with uninspired design because of its third panel concept. What do you think people would have said if they added also the TIE Punisher?

Possible I am confused. It has been 20 years. Though I remember the gunboat well enough. It was more OP than the TIE defender which was rather ridiculous from a story perceptive at first and then later in XvT, it was so OP that it broke the game.

Definitely, you are remembering wrong.

The gunboat appeared first in X-Wing, the first game in the series, in 1993. It was the Empire's answer to the Y-Wing, although you could argue that it sits in a middle point between the Y-wing, the X-Wing, and the B-wing. It has the speed and similar strong shields as the B-wing, as agile as the X-Wing, and has almost identical weapon loadout to that of the Y-wing: two laser cannons, two ion cannons, and two launchers, that shoot missiles instead of torpedoes.

The TIE Defender appeared in TIE Fighter, in 1994, and it was, as you say, power creep from the TIE Advanced/Avenger. In this game, the gunboat was flyable, but was still an imperial Y-wing, only that it gained the ability to equip a tractor beam later on in the game.

The Missile Boat came first in 1995 in an expansion to TIE Fighter called "Defender of the Empire". It's a totally new, different, independent craft, not to be mistaken with the gunboat, since they have almost nothing in common besides the similar name, and that in the lore, was produced by the same manufacturer that made the shuttles and gunboats.

The Missile Boat was what probably you remember as being even more overpowered than the TIE Defender. It was basically an imperial A-wing, with the shields of a B-wing, SLAM (the first ship to introduce this in the Star Wars universe), 1 laser cannon, 4 ordnance launchers with 3 times the usual load each, and tractor beam or jamming beam.

The TIE Defender didn't appear at all in XvT, except by using hacks. It appeared again only for multiplayer skirmishes in XWA. The Missile Boat never appeared again in the series, except by using hacks. The gunboat appeared in all editions of all games in the series, from 1993 to 2000.

Edited by Azrapse

Am I the only one who really likes the look of all the ships?  :D 
Like.. The punisher looks so freaking menacing, with the quadruple bomb/missile pods. 
The decimator is a star destroyer mini
K-wing is a B17 in star wars

The attack shuttle looks like it does because, hey, it has to fit in that big bulk of a ghost! 

I think maybe the only 'worst looking ship' I can think of is the misthunter, and that is NOT because of the model, rather the bland signature-rebel-grey that's on it. 
It could have had a much more interesting paintjob. But hey, the model is awesome! 

Am I the only one who really likes the look of all the ships?  :D 

[ TitaniumChopstick - tl;dr - No vote! ]

No  ;) - I've been reading this thread from when it first started, trying to decide if I agree with any sentiments...at first, I was being swayed by the "lazy" Punisher argument, but it does look mean!

The only ship I don't own is the Raider, but that's really just a space issue...I'm not keen on the YV-666 paintjob, but I can now see the shape evolution from the YT's through the YV-100 to it and the other YV's...yes, the Protectorate is a bit of a backwards M3-A, but the revolving wings is a nice non-S-foil'y gimmick  :rolleyes:

...so I really can't say there's any current ship I don't like, but as for forthcoming...the Upsilon may take some time to grow on me, and will probably fall with the Raider into the too-much-space category...however, the QuadJumper is brilliant  :wub:

I dislike the look of most, if not almost all, of the Scum ships (only ones I think I like are the Starviper and YV-666), but my vote for worst design goes specifically to the Shadow Caster. I can see a little bit of Star Wars in the design, like the sides that remind me of a Y-Wings engines a bit. But other than that, it doesn't look like it fits in the Star Wars universe to me and seems very out of place.

So my answer is: Shadow Caster.

After that would be: Almost all of the other Scum ships, the B-Wing, the HWK, and the K-Wing.