Sign in to follow this  
TitaniumChopstick

Poll: Worst Looking Ship in X-Wing

Tie Punisher ......

used to think the ghost was ugly but its growing on me

Do you think the Ghost, Lancer and Fang all suffer a bit from them going straight from the cgi models, rather than trying to match the look of the OT ships. There is a lack of grebling and extra fine detail that can make them look a bit flat. Saying that I'm SO looking forward to painting my Lancer, it has some great open spaces I can really go to town on.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

Tie Punisher ......

used to think the ghost was ugly but its growing on me

Do you think the Ghost, Lancer and Fang all suffer a bit from them going straight from the cgi models, rather than trying to match the look of the OT ships. There is a lack of grebling and extra fine detail that can make them look a bit flat. Saying that I'm SO looking forward to painting my Lancer, it has some great open spaces I can really go to town on.

The models made by FFG have much more grebling than the original CGI models. Like a lot more. Just compare a frame from the series with your models.

Most of the details in the cartoon are represented with pencil-like lines drawn over flat surfaces, while FFG has translated that into bumping and actual irregular surfaces.

I have the feeling that if FFG's models of those ships aren't more interesting it must be because of LFL not approving further changes.

What on earth would make the Punisher an ugly ship? Seriously? To me it sounds more like 'I didn't get my gunboat so I hate the punisher with all my guts, lets vote it ugliest ship ever because it is not the gunboat'.

Grow up people. It's not ugly per se, it perfectly fits with the design of all the other imperial craft, it is a more powerful bomber, it is even symmetrical unlike the bomber.

Uglies are called uglies for a reason, the TYE-Wing is for example the real ugly ship, the Punisher couldn't even compete with that.

My personal vote for ugliest ships in X-Wing:

- YV-666, who did make up this design? Basically a multi-family home with 2 wings.

- Upsilon Shuttle, Kylo Ren apparently has to compensate for something with his 2 enormous wings.

- Shadow Caster, can someone please give the Romulans from Star Trek their bird of prey back.

What on earth would make the Punisher an ugly ship? Seriously? To me it sounds more like 'I didn't get my gunboat so I hate the punisher with all my guts, lets vote it ugliest ship ever because it is not the gunboat'.

Grow up people. It's not ugly per se, it perfectly fits with the design of all the other imperial craft, it is a more powerful bomber, it is even symmetrical unlike the bomber.

Uglies are called uglies for a reason, the TYE-Wing is for example the real ugly ship, the Punisher couldn't even compete with that.

My personal vote for ugliest ships in X-Wing:

- YV-666, who did make up this design? Basically a multi-family home with 2 wings.

- Upsilon Shuttle, Kylo Ren apparently has to compensate for something with his 2 enormous wings.

- Shadow Caster, can someone please give the Romulans from Star Trek their bird of prey back.

Nope the Punisher is ugly. Uglies may be called uglies, but the Tye-Wing is a much cooler looking ship than the Punisher. And it really is not due to the Assault Gunboat, there are just ships that feel stupid. In this case it has that whole XXXEDGELORDXXX feel, what's cooler than a Bomber, I know stick more guns on it.

Also the Romulan Bird of Prey really... If anything the Defiant... Though it would be a rubbish Star Trek ship, there is no void between the Nacelles, so it would rip itself apart as soon as it went to Warp Speed.

E-wing, hands down. It was a poor design. I'm not talking about muzzle flash, but the fact that the blaster cannon seperates into two seperate pieces. The engines look like they are bately attached.

I reconcile its existance to the e-wing being a scratch built fighter - essentially an ugly.

Grow up people. 

Seriously, what on earth are you talking about? From where comes that diatribe against the gunboat, that I don't recall anyone in this thread even mentioning?

What most people dislike from the TIE Punisher is that it is The Homer of Star Wars ships. Add more of everything, even if it looks ridiculous.

It's basically the TIE concept jumping the shark.

Also the Romulan Bird of Prey really... If anything the Defiant... Though it would be a rubbish Star Trek ship, there is no void between the Nacelles, so it would rip itself apart as soon as it went to Warp Speed.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Romulan_Bird-of-Prey_(23rd_century)

First thing I thought of when I seen the Shadow Caster spoiler. In my opinion way closer than the Defiant.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Romulan_Bird-of-Prey_(23rd_century)

First thing I thought of when I seen the Shadow Caster spoiler. In my opinion way closer than the Defiant.

I'm not sure... It actually has wings rather than nacelles attached directly to the disc, and no cockpit...

bop1.jpg

compared to

tj_defiant_final.jpg

Grow up people. 

Seriously, what on earth are you talking about? From where comes that diatribe against the gunboat, that I don't recall anyone in this thread even mentioning?

What most people dislike from the TIE Punisher is that it is The Homer of Star Wars ships. Add more of everything, even if it looks ridiculous.

It's basically the TIE concept jumping the shark.

Seriously, the Tie Punisher is The Homer?  Have you seen the K-wing my good man?  I posted a side-by-side of the K-wing and the Homer back when it was announced.

How 'bout the HWK-290?  It's basically a history lesson about videe-o games.  "You see kids, there're these things called polygons.  Back in my day, they was so big because our pyooters could only make about a baker's dozen of 'em at a time."

My only complaint about the ShadowCaster is that it is too stinking big.  It won't fit in any of my Plano compartments and I think it would look a lot better scaled down.

My vote is the Aggressor.  It's just weird.  Does it crawl around like a spider when it lands?

My vote is the Aggressor.  It's just weird.  Does it crawl around like a spider when it lands?

Nope, they are highly mobile ailerons to alter it's shape in the air to make it highly mobile, and then it has clamps for capturing small ships at the front. TBH it actually makes a lot of sense if you think of it as a top of the range super fighter that is just a lot larger so it can chase down smaller ships and capture them.... I feel the real issue with the Aggressor actually is it's paint job. It looks SO much better when it has a proper engine glow and the windshield is a bit more noticable. Otherwise it's just TOO hard to tell which way it is going, and it's far too easy to see what are manoeuvring fins as claws.

MG_7443-765x510.jpg

Scum: Shadow Caster (Lancer)

Rebel: Phantom (Attack Shuttle)

Imperial: Tie Phantom

I can't believe how much hate there is for the K-Wing and YV-666! They are 2 of my favourite models!

Definitely agree about the K-wing. That ship is incredible. Every time i see it somewhere i get the urge to buy another. The YV though just doesn't make sense to me.

TIE Punisher (just. too. much.)

HWK-290 (I really would have preferred the Raven's Claw... hopefully some day...)

G-1A Starfighter (ugh)

YV-666 (a thin weirdly-shaped box, on its side, with wings)