Sign in to follow this  
Momonip

Stripping a shapeways model

Some advice needed please.

I've managed to make a pigs ear out of a Mel Miniatures Mk1 assault frigate.

Due to a series of mistakes it now has about 10 layers of paint and two thick layers of duraclear gloss varnish on it and I've managed to lose a lot of the definition and fine detail on this wonderful model.

Can it be stripped (by using something like acetone free nail polish remover)? Or will that damage the material - Frosted ultra detail?

Simple Green works, I did it a few days ago with a Mk.I type III.

16m6t6r.jpg

Was stripped down with Simple Green.  It took about 10 minutes in the Green, scrubbed with a bit of warm water and a toothbrush, then given a second scrub. I primed it back up and turned it into the Ravager. 

2qwezv9.jpg

Thanks very much, that's reassuring to know!

Am in the UK so will see if either of those products are available here. Cheers

Ps. Ravager looks incredible!

Edited by Momonip

I've heard that Fairy Power Spray bandied about as a close approximation (all talk, no experience here.  Heard it's a little harsher than Simple Green, so... you know, fair warning.  I wouldn't leave things in long, but it can't be as harsh as some stuff I've used that's turned models to soup.), but Simple Green has been in a few UK markets.  Best of luck on it, mate!  Shapeways stuff is usually great to have and great to see on the table :)

And thanks mate.  I'm rather liking the Ravager, though I've got another Type III to go. Hope you'll put up some pictures of that mk.I when you have it done, eh?  Type V?

Edited by Vykes

Unicorn Tears.

Seriously.

Vykes can and will tell you.  He'll go through the process step by step, but there's just something innate about what he does that lends all of his works a certain look that is almost impossible to replicate...

I've been trying every day since I first saw his stuff online and found out he was "nearby"...

I'd feel very guilty if it was unicorn tears :P 

Rust effects are something not too hard to do, but like most effects, there's several different methods which all achieve something slightly different.  As a bit of a cut and paste from something I mentioned when working on my 'new style' dreadnaughts:

"The rust details are made up of 5 usual colours, but it can really be broken up into 3 different paints that serve 3 different functions. I use a very watered down chestnut ink or a ghost-tint, to get the long vertical streaks. It tends to be very-very watered down and often added in 2 layers.

The second is a high pigment flesh wash (mine is from Reaper). It's completely undiluted and adds the warmer rust colours right in the corners and recess.

The final, and most important, is a water mixable oil colour from Windsor and Newton. Anyway, take just a little bit with a touch of water on an older brush (oils hurt bristles, we don't ruin a good brush, eh?). Add a small dot of the watered down paint to the ship and let it dry for 15-20 seconds before taking a damp brush and running it over the daub.  It will end up giving you those subtle easily controlled 'burn' like marks that taper off into a blend. I do hope that helps some."

And of course you can mix and match those a bit to further the effect.  -laughs- I'd do more painting tutorial stuff if I had a more formulaic approach, confidence, aaaand an internet speed faster than pseudo-dial up. Still, always happy to help.  And best of luck with that type VI, it's rare to see that in comparison to the type V and I don't think I've seen a painted example around yet.  

-laughs- I'd do more painting tutorial stuff if I had a more formulaic approach, confidence, aaaand an internet speed faster than pseudo-dial up. 

Work on the First Two.  Stick 'em on a USB and Post them here.  I'll upload 'em since I'm City-Folk and all...  :P

Well I finally finished this, after several failed attempts..     (apologies in advance to Mel)

FAIL 1 (I used a hideous mix of seraphim sepia wash followed by nuln oil.... what was I thinking O_o)

Fail%201.jpg

FAIL 2 (I tried to do a checkerboard scheme with evil red bits... hmm just a bit too different for my liking)

Fail%202.jpg

FAIL 3... ah wait, this will actually do.. ;)

I basecoated with ushabti bone, then did a couple of watered down washes of nuln oil. As always this left a lot of ugly staining on all the flat panels. I mixed 60/40 ushabti bone & scar white then repainted all the panels (what a chore!)

For some reason I struggled to maintain straight lines, so a lot of them look a bit 'blobby', but it'll do for the tabletop..

Meh.jpg

I find painting Warhammer is just..... easier!

So%20much%20easier....jpg

On 4/15/2017 at 4:10 AM, Momonip said:

Well I finally finished this, after several failed attempts..     (apologies in advance to Mel)

FAIL 1 (I used a hideous mix of seraphim sepia wash followed by nuln oil.... what was I thinking O_o)

Fail%201.jpg

FAIL 2 (I tried to do a checkerboard scheme with evil red bits... hmm just a bit too different for my liking)

Fail%202.jpg

FAIL 3... ah wait, this will actually do.. ;)

I basecoated with ushabti bone, then did a couple of watered down washes of nuln oil. As always this left a lot of ugly staining on all the flat panels. I mixed 60/40 ushabti bone & scar white then repainted all the panels (what a chore!)

For some reason I struggled to maintain straight lines, so a lot of them look a bit 'blobby', but it'll do for the tabletop..

Meh.jpg

Where did you get that miniature? I love that 'neo' Assault Frigate look (over the classic haphazard exposed structures).