Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

Free ParaGoomba Slayer!

Perhaps, but you may have missed my point. You said "Mainly because almost nobody uses literal literally." I disagree with a blanket statement like the one you used.

Based on context the literal use of literally and the figurative use of literally can be distinguished, just as the figurative and literal uses of any turn of phrase can be distinguished by most.

That's just not true.  If someone says "I literally threw up" how would you know which they meant?  I think people are just assuming people mean it figuratively so when somebody actually does mean it literally that meaning is lost, and they have to say something else to demonstrate that they mean it literally literally.

I prefer the proper use/meaning of the word, but that is just me. I know it's just circular logic

If you don't say what you mean, then how can you mean what you say.

If people know you don't mean what you say then how should they treat what you do say? Should one believe it or knowing you probably don't mean what you say discount it all together?

A conversation between Protagoras and Socrates (4th Century B.C.)   

• Protagoras: Truth is relative.  It is only a matter of opinion. 
  • Socrates: You mean that truth is mere subjective opinion? 
  • Protagoras: Exactly.   What is true for you is true for you, and what is true for me is true for me.  Truth is subjective. 
  • Socrates:  Do you really mean that?  That my opinion is true by virtue of its being my opinion? 
  • Protagoras:  Indeed I do. 
  • Socrates:  My opinion is: Truth is absolute, not opinion, and that you, Mr. Protagoras, are absolutely in error.  Since that is my opinion, you must grant that it is true according to your philosophy. 
  • Protagoras:  You are quite correct, Socrates. 

Why is this thread still going?!

Well, if FFG states that an opponents ship is destroyed, we need to know if they mean literally, or figuratively.

I mean, am I supposed to take a hammer to his Falcon? PGS might have said "yes" to that idea.

You would if you were PGS.

Perhaps, but you may have missed my point. You said "Mainly because almost nobody uses literal literally." I disagree with a blanket statement like the one you used.

Based on context the literal use of literally and the figurative use of literally can be distinguished, just as the figurative and literal uses of any turn of phrase can be distinguished by most.

That's just not true.  If someone says "I literally threw up" how would you know which they meant?  I think people are just assuming people mean it figuratively so when somebody actually does mean it literally that meaning is lost, and they have to say something else to demonstrate that they mean it literally literally.

Lately I've been using 'factually', because it's a fact.

Big problem with PGS is that he trolled every thread. If he just **** posted his own threads then i think he would have been more tolerated.

Imagine this kind of behavior in real life. He was actually banned from a local store because of it.

I wonder how much rage PGS would have at Palp being called "undercosted" and "Tier 2" in a different thread today. If he wasn't already banned you have to think that would have be the one to push him over the edge right?

After reading all 11 pages I find this PGS cat very interesting.  I have even gone back and read some of his older posts.  With the right mix of writers PGS could make a really good sitcom.  But who could pull off playing PGS?

But who could pull off playing PGS?

As of Tuesday, the only person with the right demeanor and dignity is busy for four years.

The sure way to start an argument is to discuss politics, religion or red haired women. Let's keep this friendly, please?

*Insert witty comment about Red haired religuous women in politics that makes everyone laugh*

OH WAIT!

Mara Jade. When do we get her starship? Never? okay....

As of Tuesday, the only person with the right demeanor and dignity is busy for four years.

The sure way to start an argument is to discuss politics, religion or red haired women. Let's keep this friendly, please?

The subject of the entire thread doesn't really engender being spoken of in a friendly way, and the subject of that specific comment absolutely doesn't deserve to be.

I mean, this thread should have been locked instantly regardless, but at this point, trying to pretend to play nice by avoiding political opinion is like tossing a car air freshener into an abattoir.

...wish him all the best...

That's about the only part of this thread I agree with. Wish him well, but like...there's a reason he got banned.

Legit, I eventually figured out that he was banned one day while wondering to myself why the forums seemed so much more pleasant recently. That's a real thing that happened. I just thought "The forums have been good recently. What's up?".

Not trying to hate but like...he can take a time out for introspection. 

qft. Literally same thing here until i found this thread and i was like. Oh, that explains it lol.

The subject of the entire thread doesn't really engender being spoken of in a friendly way, and the subject of that specific comment absolutely doesn't deserve to be.

I mean, this thread should have been locked instantly regardless, but at this point, trying to pretend to play nice by avoiding political opinion is like tossing a car air freshener into an abattoir.

I don't agree about having this thread locked. So far, the discussions and comments about PGS have not been mean, abusive or otherwise inaccurate. Even though there are some who think that banning him was too harsh, we haven't resorted to name calling and questioning their blood line. Throwing political commentary into this gaming forum is likely to turn this into Downtown Portland. If people there don't mind showing their face while rioting, can you imagine the vitriol spewed by anonymous contributors when they get their political hackles up?

There's a time and place for political commentary. Now may be the time but here is not the place.

I don't agree about having this thread locked. So far, the discussions and comments about PGS have not been mean, abusive or otherwise inaccurate. Even though there are some who think that banning him was too harsh, we haven't resorted to name calling and questioning their blood line. Throwing political commentary into this gaming forum is likely to turn this into Downtown Portland. If people there don't mind showing their face while rioting, can you imagine the vitriol spewed by anonymous contributors when they get their political hackles up?

There's a time and place for political commentary. Now may be the time but here is not the place.

The thread should have been locked because of the topic. Threads about "unban this person" are never productive, never result in an unbanning, and are most often just obvious trolling.

If bringing up 'political' topics causes people to show their true (vile, hateful, bigoted, sexist, etc.) colors, then hopefully it makes it easy to identify them for immediate banning as they have no place in any community I want to be a part of. Then again, given the amount of blatantly sexist garbage that was being spewed in one of the Rogue One trailer threads that resulted in no bans, I'm not super hopeful on that front.

When I am immediately, viscerally, and justifiably terrified about the safety, well being, and rights of myself and others, no place is inappropriate.

When I am immediately, viscerally, and justifiably terrified about the safety, well being, and rights of myself and others, no place is inappropriate.

While I agree with you 100%, I think it's important to point out that when I said ...

... I thought it was obvious I was talking about Lin Manuel Miranda, who, no longer starring in Hamilton, has entered into a deal for a new musical that will keep him busy until 2020.

I mean, what else would I be talking about?  ParaGoombaSlayer and Lin Manuel Miranda are obviously separated at birth.

That's my story and I am literally -- wait, literally? yes, literally -- sticking with it until I'm dead.

The thread should have been locked because of the topic. Threads about "unban this person" are never productive, never result in an unbanning, and are most often just obvious trolling.

If bringing up 'political' topics causes people to show their true (vile, hateful, bigoted, sexist, etc.) colors, then hopefully it makes it easy to identify them for immediate banning as they have no place in any community I want to be a part of. Then again, given the amount of blatantly sexist garbage that was being spewed in one of the Rogue One trailer threads that resulted in no bans, I'm not super hopeful on that front.

Politics has no place here, take it the off topic if your voice requires a soapbox. It could be said, from your post above, that it was an obvious attempt at trolling to elicit an "immediate, visceral" response. Rather than throwing a tantrum, take a deep breath, relax, and see what happens.

It's important to remember that the president doesn't make the laws, only signs or vetoes them and we have a bicameral legislative body that hopefully have cooler minds. If that fails we should be able to rely on the Supreme Court to keep us relatively safe. If this doesn't give you any peace of mind I don't know what to tell you except see an MD for your anxiety.