Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

Free ParaGoomba Slayer!

I really would like to meet and play against PGS if for no other reason than the first hand experience. There are a lot of things you don't pickup in reading posts.

If you embark on this journey, you must run either Super Dash/Leebo, or Palp aces when you play against him.

I was thinking old school like Fat Han.

PGS is famous (or should that be infamous) for not allowing players to take missed opportunities when a timing window has passed, no matter how relevant or how soon after that window. Even when taking that missed opportunity doesn't change the current state of the game, because in his words "it's cheating". But when the shoe is on the other foot however, he expects a bit of leniency. Here's a wee selection of his posts on the matter.

Also, I should mention that afterwards I fired with all my PS 1 TIEs and realized I had forgotten to fire with my PS 4. So I asked if I could and he allowed it.

One time I was at a store championship with a swarm that had multiple different pilot skills. I maneuvered my ships in such a way that they would all do 1 hard turns in formation, but would require marking ships because the pilot skills required that they move in a certain order, not the order of what would be most convenient. When playing this list I would often explain to my opponent that they wouldn't bump anyways and it would be easier to move them in the most convenient way as opposed to the PS order way, and they would pretty much always let me move them that way.

I would not mind facing a rules lawyer player, in fact I'd rather face a WAAC one that makes me bring my A game as opposed to one that lets me perform forgotten triggers incessantly. I flew 7 Academies and a Black Squadron tonight and almost every time I'd fire with my academies first and have to ask my opponent if I could fire with my Black Squadron. I was granted permission every time, and next time I fly it I'll probably forget PS order again because there was no consequence to my mistake/forgetfulness.

I really can't see him allowing any of these to happen if the roles were reversed.

Advanced Sensors is crucial to flying IG lists that utilize it and if that's going to get forgotten that's the IG players fault. … I'm going to keep my mouth shut as you start doing a red maneuver after the advanced sensors window passes and if you then want to do it when it's too late there is a good chance I'm siding with the rules instead of Fly Sloppy.

And this one's the proof.

If the rules only apply when it suits him, how does that make him a "fair" player?

Edited by Parravon

I don't think I've seen any other forum where the "capital punishement" is the first ban issued. It usually goes with lighter bans at first, like a week or a month, then a few months and only then a permaban - the system is based on the assumption that people might improve their behaviour. 

Obviously it is impossible here because it'd require an actual moderation.

I don't think permaban was fair, even though some sort of ban was needed.

I really would like to meet and play against PGS if for no other reason than the first hand experience. There are a lot of things you don't pickup in reading posts.
You might want to try TTS, but you might get disappointed.

No, I'm hip to the jive you're spittin'. Still doesn't make the change to "literally" any less stupid.

It really is stupid.  Keep up the good fight.

Look, I'm a writer, and I've got both English and Law degrees.  I know language evolves.  I also know that dictionaries are "descriptive" with definitions, not "prescriptive."  I'm down with that.

Where my ass gets chapped is when there is actual useful informative content being lost in language evolution, basically because of the combination of (a) people being too dumb to know there's a difference, and (b) the same people either not knowing or not wanting to admit they're dumb, so they use words incorrectly.  And the dumb-virus spreads.

"Literally" has useful information attached to it.  That useful information is actually pretty difficult to impart gracefully in other ways.  Accepting the destruction of that usefulness, all in deference to the dumbness of swaths of people, is so unfortunate that it's criminal.  (Except, you know, not literally ... unless I got my way.)

My biggest language complaint along these lines?  The conflation/merge of "bring" and "take."  Starting about 15 years ago, dumbness began to spread noticeably, and people stopped knowing how to correctly use bring and take.  At this point it's reached pandemic levels.  And the reason this is my biggest bugaboo is that, used properly, "bring" and "take" impart a tremendous amount of information -- regarding spatial relationships, temporal relationships, and subjective relationships, all both relative and absolute -- that simply can't be so efficiently imparted otherwise.

And we're losing that because of dumbness.  It's killin' me.  Possibly literally.

So, again, keep up the good fight.

Not enough likes in the world for this! This is the era the scholars of the future will struggle to explain - how and why the language changed - because they will all be grunting.

I don't think I've seen any other forum where the "capital punishement" is the first ban issued. It usually goes with lighter bans at first, like a week or a month, then a few months and only then a permaban - the system is based on the assumption that people might improve their behaviour. 

We get warnings, but I'm not sure other people can see them. If you see "1 warning point" below my name and avatar, then I'm mistaken. I know when I got my warning I was sent a PM by FFGEvan telling me what it was for and clearly stating that I should not do it again.

TTS?

Do you know for sure it was a first?

TTS?

Tabletop Simulator... i think.

TTS?

Table top simulator, basicaly pretty Vassal.

I have not heard about anyone on this forum that has been banned at any point in the past and now is able to post. Also people were pretty shocked when he got the ban, I'd think the reaction wouldn't be that strong if it happened before or if there was any form of ban here that isn't permanent.

But no, I don't know for sure and I admit the possibility that I'm wrong.

If you really want to hang out with PGS, go hang on /r/XWingTMG for awhile; he's still hanging around there, being himself.

I see no reason for him to be back on the official forums, giving people bad impressions of the player base. Apparently FFG thought so, too.

I have not heard about anyone on this forum that has been banned at any point in the past and now is able to post. Also people were pretty shocked when he got the ban, I'd think the reaction wouldn't be that strong if it happened before or if there was any form of ban here that isn't permanent.

I'm fairly certain that you have to go really far to get banned without warning. I sent Force Awakens spoilers to a guy out of spite and all I got was warned in no uncertain terms not to do it again. Knowing ParaGoomba, he probably received several warnings and refused to listen because he seems completely incapable of reconsidering his opinion or entertaining the idea that he might be wrong. That Reddit thread linked earlier has him angrily denying that he's ever been wrong about anything X-Wing related (not hyperbole; his exact words were "I was right all the time" and he defends that claim when challenged on it). ParaGoomba is the kind of guy that thinks that if he's correct it justifies nearly any level of dickery when interacting with people that are not. A good example is his proud story about allowing a player to reveal several dials, move them all, and then perform all actions...right up until the first exchange of fire, when he insisted that the other guy missed his chance to perform actions on all but one of his ships. According to PGS, this is totally okay as the harsh treatment will encourage the other player not to take this (completely reasonable time-saving*) approach in the future. He's like that in arguments, too. A couple of new players at different times expressed a fondness for the Millennium Falcon and the Outrider, and PGS drove both away from the forum (and the Falcon guy away from the game entirely) through sheer hostility. When people called him out he refused to admit that he was being an ass on the grounds that there was one less turreted ship in the game. 

*Moving several ships and then performing actions for them is fine, so long as none of them reposition in a way that might have interfered with other moves. I can't see any reason at all to say that a player who intends to move several ships straight forward and then focus should be absolutely required to move them one at a time if they all have the same PS or would otherwise move one after another anyway. If his issue was with someone executing barrel rolls with ships that should have bumped or something he would have a point.

<snip>

I'm fairly certain that you have to go really far to get banned without warning. I sent Force Awakens spoilers to a guy out of spite and all I got was warned in no uncertain terms not to do it again.

<snip>

OMFG! I read about that when I was first getting into the game! That was the single most brutal response to a d-bag ever! It was legendary!

If you embark on this journey, you must run either Super Dash/Leebo, or Palp aces when you play against him.

How bout this:

It combines all of his favorite parts of the game (fat turrets, palp, Phantoms)

Paragoomba's bane (100)  
Commander Kenkirk — VT-49 Decimator 44 Predator 3 Emperor Palpatine 8 Engine Upgrade 4 Ship Total: 59     "Whisper" — TIE Phantom 32 Veteran Instincts 1 Fire-Control System 2 Agent Kallus 2 Advanced Cloaking Device 4 Ship Total: 41  

There was another person who was banned but I'm having trouble recalling his name at the moment.   He received a short ban, then a full ban. He then created a new account but it got figured out and he was banned as well.   I remember that he liked Boba Fett (the character, not so much the ship) a lot...

Edited by AlexW

How bout this:

It combines all of his favorite parts of the game (fat turrets, palp, Phantoms)

Paragoomba's bane (100)  
Commander Kenkirk — VT-49 Decimator 44 Predator 3 Emperor Palpatine 8 Engine Upgrade 4 Ship Total: 59     "Whisper" — TIE Phantom 32 Veteran Instincts 1 Fire-Control System 2 Agent Kallus 2 Advanced Cloaking Device 4 Ship Total: 41  

Not quite all of them - unless you put a Rebel Captive on that Kenkirk and put Dash Rendar's face on it. Heh, heh, heh...

So, people get warned. I've been banned from one forum without warning - the Cracked.com forums - when I was trying to write for them. Lesson learned, they're asses, I don't read their website any more. FFG didn't tell me how many warning points it takes to be banned, but I'd imagine it's probably 10, or possibly 5.

I do have the distinct feeling that the "Free PGS!" people are mostly trolling, though.

There was another person who was banned but I'm having trouble recalling his name at the moment.   He received a short ban, then a full ban. He then created a new account but it got figured out and he was banned as well.   I remember that he liked Boba Fett (the character, not so much the ship) a lot...

Ribann. He got banned and then re-banned.