Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

Free ParaGoomba Slayer!

Except that they're losing all that because they aren't allowing it.

What? All reports (prior to the rumor of renewed interest) were that a big consideration was that twitter is a toxic free-fire zone that'll damage any brand its attached to.

That's delving into the whole free speech debacle. Yes, it might be better in the short term to remove a disruptive voice from a group, but then you open up the can of worms "what's disruptive?" I think both sides have merit and their own share of problems. In this case, I'd rather deal with a disruptive voice I can either tune out or confront then worry about one day being considered "disruptive" for sharing my opinion.

That is a bit of a pessimist answer, I'll admit, but it is how I feel on the subject. I can understand if you feel different and encourage that.

You haven't thought this through. Literally every community has standards, unspoken or otherwise, and everyone knows that repeated or significant violation of those standards will have negative social consequences, and everyone is okay with this. The only point of contention is what exactly the standards should be.

Only a handful of absolutists will argue, for instance, that if you repeatedly make crude sexual remarks to your boss about your boss's spouse you shouldn't be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination. And I'm sure you can furnish your own examples, in the workplace or in any community you choose.

If you're leading into "free speech is okay, but..." then this is a pointless conversation. Good day.

Edited by AugustineS

You haven't thought this through. Literally every community has standards, unspoken or otherwise, and everyone knows that repeated or significant violation of those standards will have negative social consequences, and everyone is okay with this. The only point of contention is what exactly the standards should be.

Only a handful of absolutists will argue, for instance, that if you repeatedly make crude sexual remarks to your boss about your boss's spouse you shouldn't be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination. And I'm sure you can furnish your own examples, in the workplace or in any community you choose.

Good point, well argued. I don't have a good counter because I don't fully know what entirely led to the banning, so I will concede the point.

Put me in the "please let him return" camp.

(Disclaimer: I play X-wing with him.  He's not the forum troll in person that he is online. He does, politely, enforce rules when playing in formal tournaments; some people have  hard time with that.)

Edited by Hawkstrike

I mean, him also getting banned from playing at his LGS because his presence was causing other players to no longer show up is probably more telling about his personality than anything he's posted here.

This

In his defense, I have seen plenty of people stick up for him on a Facebook page for players in his state. Yes, he can clearlly be an ass. But I don't necessarily think he is like that all the time in person. Luckily for him, there is more than one store in the area for him to go to. 

Still doesn't make the change to "literally" any less stupid.

Nobody ever said language wasn't stupid.

That means that his example would literally be correct, which could quite possibly literally drive people crazy and cause issues if the word cool meant both high and low temperature and we had no way of figuring which cool you meant.

I have never once been unable to tell from context which usage of literally a person meant. Mainly because almost nobody uses literal literally.

That's great, until somebody does want to use it literally and you assume they don't. Can you even be sure you've always been right in your interpretation anyway?

The number of folks here saying "he wasn't that bad", and "he was just expressing his opinion" really surprises me. The guy was quite the troll when he wanted to be, and seemed to take a perverse pleasure in inciting others. I recall more than a few times where he would explain how he had beaten some poor guy with some of the most unsporting tactics ever devised, and had the balls to ask "was I wrong to do that?" In fact, unsporting wasn't even in his vocabulary.

He was continually looking for justification of his "fly non-casual" play style, especially when it involved screwing over a new player. I can only assume that in his warped mind, he seemed to think he was doing his opponent a huge favour by instructing him on the finer points of the game, when in reality, he would be souring the game instead through humiliation and deceit.

I don't normally rage on someone unless they truly deserve it, but in his case I'm happy to make an exception. Good riddance PGS. Your sad little comments won't be missed.

For everyone who says PGS never contributed anything of value: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/199428-i-think-ive-made-a-viable-imperial-boba-list/and https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/204026-i-actually-have-a-viable-imperial-boba-list-sequel-thread-now-with-andrasta-variant/

This is where his unlimited cynicism created one of the most creative and interesting lists I have ever seen. This was PGS at his very best.

I agree that many of his posts were way too rude to be valuable to any discussion, but when he contributed it was always highly interesting because of his 'special' perspective.

(Disclaimer: I play X-wing with him.  He's not the forum troll in person that he is online. He does, politely, enforce rules when playing in formal tournaments; some people have  hard time with that.)

He brags about tricking people into thinking he's okay with missed triggers and then playing gotcha. Maybe he doesn't do it to you, it he does it to someone.

literally all he ever said was "xwings suck" and "palp is the most broken card in the game"

Nono, it was not only palp, it was nearly every powerful upgrade or pilot combo that was not to his personal preference. I am pretty glad he's gone as all he did was argue, plus he was totally immune to logic or insight. Had a few clashes with him too.

I am curious though why exactly he got banned...

What is this poor guy doing now all day long?

Edited by ForceM

Except in the instances in which he admittedly didn't enforce the rules until the game moved to a point in which doing so would gain him a huge advantage. You can't say someone cares about the rules when they repeatedly brag about ignoring them to lull their opponent into a false sense of security about how the game is going to be played. If you want to be the guy who doesn't want to let a player move his swarm and then focus with each, be that guy on the first turn. Don't wait until the 3rd turn to all of a sudden change your tune because shots are going to be exchanged.

Except in the instances in which he admittedly didn't enforce the rules until the game moved to a point in which doing so would gain him a huge advantage. You can't say someone cares about the rules when they repeatedly brag about ignoring them to lull their opponent into a false sense of security about how the game is going to be played. If you want to be the guy who doesn't want to let a player move his swarm and then focus with each, be that guy on the first turn. Don't wait until the 3rd turn to all of a sudden change your tune because shots are going to be exchanged.

I didn't witness that incident so I can't say, but I agree that's unacceptably poor sportsmanship.  That hasn't been the general behavior I've witnessed in person, and I find that the internet tends to magnify flaws, but in any event it doesn't excuse being a donkey's patoot.

PGS is young, intelligent, opinionated, and loath to apologize. I've met a lot of smart people with the same personality flaws.  Most eventually grow out of it. Some not. (Example -- I have an absolutely brilliant engineer whom I work with who doesn't get that just because he's right doesn't mean that other points of view can't be valid ... PGS reminds me of him, sometimes.)

He could be a saint in person, but he still needs to stay banned from the forum.

Whatever he's really like in person doesn't matter when his online presence is toxic to the community. His continued complaining was unnecessary (we got the point of why he didn't like Palp aces the first few times he ranted about it) and his attacks on anyone that dared to say they played or claim they liked to play PWT ships like the Falcon or Outrider were always uncalled for.

And unfortunately, there are far more reports of him being as bad in person as he was online than reports of him being actually nice in person. Maybe you caught him on his good days or he liked you as an opponent. Who knows. But getting banned from his LGS says a lot about what he was like in person.

Edited by Derpzilla88

So here's the last thread he was active in where he talks about quitting the post office job he had. 

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/226480-im-going-to-resign-from-job-at-the-post-office-today/

That thread is hilarious. Worrying about women liking either children or cats is a pretty sure fire way a/show a total lack of knowledge about women and b/demonstrate that knowledge is never to improve.

I didn't witness that incident so I can't say, but I agree that's unacceptably poor sportsmanship.  That hasn't been the general behavior I've witnessed in person, and I find that the internet tends to magnify flaws, but in any event it doesn't excuse being a donkey's patoot.

PGS is young, intelligent, opinionated, and loath to apologize. I've met a lot of smart people with the same personality flaws.  Most eventually grow out of it. Some not. (Example -- I have an absolutely brilliant engineer whom I work with who doesn't get that just because he's right doesn't mean that other points of view can't be valid ... PGS reminds me of him, sometimes.)

I'm not sure follow you there. Surely if it's a point of view then it's not something that's right or wrong, so he's not right, ergo if he's right, then it's not a point of view, and the person who disagrees is wrong.

There wasn't a need to witness it.  He posted about it in detail.

In his defense, I have seen plenty of people stick up for him on a Facebook page for players in his state. Yes, he can clearlly be an ass. But I don't necessarily think he is like that all the time in person. Luckily for him, there is more than one store in the area for him to go to. 

Well, nobody is any way all the time in every context. You are not the same at work as you are at the game store as you are in the bedroom as you are with your blood relatives as you are with x group of friends as distinct from y group of friends as...

And for that matter, who you are in a given context varies from day to day for a variety of reasons. 

Which is a roundabout way of saying that, non-specific to PGS: who you are online isn't who you are all the time. But it is part of who you are. Likewise, who you are in the frat house isn't who you are but it is part of etc etc.

Well, nobody is any way all the time in every context. You are not the same at work as you are at the game store as you are in the bedroom as you are with your blood relatives as you are with x group of friends as distinct from y group of friends as...

And for that matter, who you are in a given context varies from day to day for a variety of reasons. 

Which is a roundabout way of saying that, non-specific to PGS: who you are online isn't who you are all the time. But it is part of who you are. Likewise, who you are in the frat house isn't who you are but it is part of etc etc.

I am.... I have special dice for the bedroom...