Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

Free ParaGoomba Slayer!

Everyone calm down. The general consensus was that he wasn't the devil incarnate or an obvious Hitler clone, but that like all of us, he was an individual with a few flaws.

PGS valued the rules and he valued winning and he had strong opinions.

? I don't notice anyone getting angry or irrational - just breathing a sigh of relief and mentioning a distinct uptick in civility. Oh, and complaining about the use of the word literally - I'm a bit sad no one commented that I literally used it correctly in my last post... :P

The problem with PGS is he only values the rules and only values winning. The person across from the table, or the guy trying to argue his point on a forum? A chump to beat so he can feel superior for those few precious moments, by all accounts (and there are more than a few). I do think this reveals a deep-set personality flaw rather than genuine evil, but it doesn't make him any less toxic.

The main question is, will he use this experience to examine himself in a clearer light, or will he turn even more toxic and paranoid, blaming everyone else for the difficulty he's in? I hate to say it, but in my decades as a gamer I've seen a few people like him and they tend to do the latter, rather than the former. It helps more often to outright exile them for a while than try to guide them down a gentler path, but even that doesn't have a high success rate.

And frankly, I'm getting too old to deal with yet another bitter asshat complaining about everything. I'm too busy trying not to become one.

The problem with PGS is he only values the rules and only values winning. 

He doesn't value the rules. He values leveraging them to win. Otherwise, you know, he wouldn't do that "sure you can move all your guys and take their actions later. Until it would be advantageous for me to deny you that, when you can't"

I can understand why if you are actually playing with someone who acts like what is described as PGS's attitude it could be off putting. I've played one guy in particular who would allow mistakes through until it actively affected him or would yell for a judge to try and get out of something. I don't like playing him but when I do it drives me to beat him to put him in his place. Obviously not everyone is like that so yeah PGS could be rankling. On the other hand though, I don't have faith in what people say until I've seen it first hand. Apparently people form his store are sharing stories of how he was dickish but they're doing it from an effectively anonymous source with the backup of absolutely unconnected people doling out upvotes cause PGS insulted them or their play style.

Forumwise he was vocal. I never saw him actively target users, just broad statements. I don't see why he was banned, if it was for voicing his subjective opinion, albeit loudly, I find that a disturbing.

Forumwise he was vocal. I never saw him actively target users, just broad statements. I don't see why he was banned, if it was for voicing his subjective opinion, albeit loudly, I find that a disturbing.

My abiding memory of him (and I suspect a significant part of why he was banned) was a rant he had at a pretty new player who had the temerity to admit to liking playing Han Solo. PGS was rude, condescend and personally insulting (the old, "smeering ice cream over your face," attack). That sort of behaviour is toxic to the community when aimed at anyone, let alone new players. Calling people on it does not make this a hugbox but does improve the forum experience for everyone.

And I will literally not accept that definition.

And it is completely your prerogative to refuse to adapt to changes in language.

Just a heads up, "cool" can also mean "really neat" and not just "low temperature" these days! All the hip kids use it.

Oh...I should probably explain "hip" now...

I think he actually had some interesting ideas sometimes, but most people ignored them because they didn't like him personally.

He did have valuable ideas from time to time, but the packaging was too abrasive and mostly too repetitive.

And that being said, becoming too repetitive myself, active moderation with moderators who are a visible part of the community would've gone a long way to preventing this whole hoopla in the first place (though sometimes there is just no other option than completely removing the irritant).

And it is completely your prerogative to refuse to adapt to changes in language.Just a heads up, "cool" can also mean "really neat" and not just "low temperature" these days! All the hip kids use it.Oh...I should probably explain "hip" now...

Cool meaning neat and low temperature is of course not the same as literally meaning figuratively.

You'd have a point if you were to use cool to mean both high temperature and low temperature. ;).

He did have valuable ideas from time to time, but the packaging was too abrasive and mostly too repetitive.

Give me TIE Aggressors and a better ability for Maarek you sons of *****es!

Cool meaning neat and low temperature is of course not the same as literally meaning figuratively.

You'd have a point if you were to use cool to mean both high temperature and low temperature.

It's a more extreme example, but it's still the same thing. A word meant a thing, then people started using it for something else, now it also means that thing. Edited by DarthEnderX

And it is completely your prerogative to refuse to adapt to changes in language.Just a heads up, "cool" can also mean "really neat" and not just "low temperature" these days! All the hip kids use it.Oh...I should probably explain "hip" now...

You'd have a point if you were to use cool to mean both high temperature and low temperature. ;).

What about showing interest and disdain? "Oh man that's really cool!" vs. "Cool story bro..."

I always just kind of skimmed over stuff he said. Occasionally I would rise to the bait, but I've been endeavoring to make cuban's quote in my sig my philosophy on this (and other) forums. Posts by PGS were just something you had to chuckle to yourself about. I knew a few people with similar attitudes (from what I've seen of PGS to compare to anyway) and you just have to wait out the storm and actively choose to not have that negativity in your life.

The straw that broke the camel's back, however, was some brand new player gushing about how much they were excited about the game. Their favorite ship in lore and game was the Outrider. Guess what happened. When you start horrifically insulting a brand new member of the forums and a new comer to a game that we all enjoy, you are a toxic presence that needs to be countered not by insults but by a chorus of voices supporting the other side.

And finally, PGS, if you are reading this forum or have a sock puppet account, some words that may help find a little balance in your life. I first saw this here on the forums of all places, but I forget who said it:

It's a game. The objective is to win, but the point is to have fun.

Give me TIE Aggressors and a better ability for Maarek you sons of *****es! 

Cool meaning neat and low temperature is of course not the same as literally meaning figuratively. You'd have a point if you were to use cool to mean both high temperature and low temperature.

It's a more extreme example, but it's still the same thing. A word meant a thing, then people started using it for something else, now it also means that thing.

Sure, Stele can have a new ability...but he would have to switch to a different (sub)faction. FO Maarek in a white-on-black First Order TIE Avenger will have to do.

It's a more extreme example, but it's still the same thing. A word meant a thing, then people started using it for something else, now it also means that thing.

I'm hard pressed, though, to think of another word in several languages, whose meaning has twisted so that it has two opposite meanings, both used at the same time. :P.

Let's talk about other people behind their back too!

How about that Captain Lackwitt eh?

He's pretty cool. 

He started the Rebels thread, and is knowledgeable in the areas of tactical maneuvers and technobabble. Upstanding and decent poster that one.  ^_^

Wait... are we supposed to like... like... say bad things behind their backs? Um...

Well, I uh... I guess I should insult him myself, he's a friend so... he's um... he looks like a.... he's got a big... um...

His profile pic is a Y-wing. 

(Edit.)

I'm not good at this game, can we play something else? How about X-Wing? 

Edited by OneKelvin

I have a different problem. After binging Parks & Rec this past summer, every time I see someone type that they "literally" do X, I can't stop from reading it in Chris Traeger's voice.

Us as well. To the point where my wife and I will literally use the inflection if we use the word.

I'm hard pressed, though, to think of another word in several languages, whose meaning has twisted so that it has two opposite meanings, both used at the same time. :P.

Challenge accepted  :D

LINK

LINK

Ta.