Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

The Black Serpent

Old Toby is interesting.  You need at least 2 pipes, preferably 3, to make it worthwhile.  Right now that is pretty hard to count on.  I'm curious to see what the Dwarf Pipe does, and there could easily be another pipe in this deck.

Also, Oath of Eorl is really interesting.  One of my favorite decks is the Aragorn/Mablung/Hama mono-tactics, and this would slot in perfectly.  It's conceivable that you could clear an entire board of enemies before they attack.

Edited by Teamjimby

Wow, those are some expensive events! Yeah, unles the meta changes radically I don't think I'l be using any of these. Oath of Eorl is the most interesting to me, but we'll have to see if it's worth it in solo over Quick Strike. The art on all these cards, tho... ESPECIALLY Burst ino Song, is incredible. Kudos to the art director and artists, these are looking great.

I'll just come out and say that the hero will hopefully be Spirit Éomer that in some way makes solo Rohan viable... I hope!!

This is in terms of theme one of my favorite packs ever. The Black Serpent is one of my favorite enemies (favorite enemy art, that's for sure), and a quest named after him where we fight him and his host of Haradrim sounds like if can be one of my faves.

Oath of Eorl is very powerful.  Even in solo, it disposes with the main problem with Quick Strike -- the ability to use only one character.  Expensive, but I love the effect.

Old Toby is interesting, Smoke Rings has a more useful effect (because the pipe holders may not be injured), but 1-cost versus 2-cost is no small thing.  The problem with both is the lack of pipes and the lone pipe-fetching card being unique/enters-play.  More pipe cards would be good.

Rally the West is a powerful effect, though if you can clear a side-quest early you may not need a global hero-wp buff all that much.

I love the theme in all these new cards, and I'm especially happy to see Song of Hope. I often skimmed over the poems when reading Lord of the Rings, but Sam's (short) song in the tower of Cirith Ungol is a key moment where the situation seems hopeless but Sam doesn't give into despair. It's my favourite song from LOTR, and I'm glad that they've made it into a decent card that can work well with Sam. You can listen to Bill Nighy's interpretation of the song in the BBC's excellent radio dramatization of LOTR over here:

Éometh (the last remaining Middle Earth Quest hero, after we got Argalad this cycle) is definitely a possibility for the hero, but there are many named Rohan characters in Tolkien, many of whom are at least somewhat significant (perhaps more significant characters than any other faction). Other possibilities include Grimbold, Gamling, Gléowine, or even Spirit Éomer.

I'd love to get a Grimbold hero for a two handed playthrough of Helm's Deep in my thematic campaign. One deck would be the defenders (Fellowship Aragorn, Théoden, and two out of Éomer, Gimli, and Legolas, with the remaining one, Háma, and Gamling as allies) and the other deck would be the reinforcements (Gandalf, Erkenbrand, and Grimbold). Elfhelm wouldn't be as thematic as Grimbold, since he went to defend Edoras rather than participating in Helm's Deep. If we get a Gamling hero instead, the decks would have their heroes be Fellowship Aragorn, Gimli, Spirit Legolas (since Tactics Legolas's ability is a disadvantage), Théoden, Éomer, Háma, and Gamling. This option is perhaps more thematic, but it has the disadvantage of excluding the excellent Háma and Gamling allies, as well as my Beyond-All-Hope'd Gandalf. Éometh could serve as a placeholder for either Grimbold or Gamling, but I'd prefer to not need FFG-created heroes in my thematic campaign.

Edited by Estel Edain

I almost never play anymore and rarely have time to interact with any of the community, but I still get excited about each announcement. I'm also somewhat looking forward to the end if this game, as long as I'm able to get all of the cards I don't currently have before it completely disappears. I just can't keep up right now.

I almost never play anymore and rarely have time to interact with any of the community, but I still get excited about each announcement. I'm also somewhat looking forward to the end if this game, as long as I'm able to get all of the cards I don't currently have before it completely disappears. I just can't keep up right now.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I don't understand that.  You want the game to end because you can't keep up with it?  I have a hard time keeping up too (I have all the Nightmares and never play them), but wanting the game to end because other people are having more fun than me sounds so... Mordor.