Sign in to follow this  
Flrbb

we need un-unique heroes!?!

When playing hobbit saga with 4 players it is kind of impossible to stay thematic at deck building. I know that in the story there weren't 12 named dwarfs, who travelled all the time together. (and even if so; the players have to few un-unique dwarfen allies) Well, anyways...

To be at least close to the story we need some "unkown", un-unique dwarf heroes.

I suppose they should be like: colourless, only the dwarf trait, a threat of 9 (or 8, remember: in a story un-named heroes cannot be much of a threat :D), their other stats maybe 2/2/2 with 3 hitpoints. Their ability: Can spend their resources for any Card with the dwarf trait (or the dwarf keyword in its descriptive text).

What do you think?

I have to say I agree with Gizlivadi. I'd much rather see a whole bunch more FFG created heroes than non-unique heroes. 

Non-unique heroes just seems wrong for some reason.... multiple copies on the board etc (I know thats sort of the whole point but it just doesn't seem right). 

I have to say I agree with Gizlivadi. I'd much rather see a whole bunch more FFG created heroes than non-unique heroes. 

Non-unique heroes just seems wrong for some reason.... multiple copies on the board etc (I know thats sort of the whole point but it just doesn't seem right). 

Couldn't disagree more.

Couldn't disagree more.

Care to elaborate? :)

When playing hobbit saga with 4 players it is kind of impossible to stay thematic at deck building. I know that in the story there weren't 12 named dwarfs, who travelled all the time together. (and even if so; the players have to few un-unique dwarfen allies) Well, anyways...

To be at least close to the story we need some "unkown", un-unique dwarf heroes.

I suppose they should be like: colourless, only the dwarf trait, a threat of 9 (or 8, remember: in a story un-named heroes cannot be much of a threat :D), their other stats maybe 2/2/2 with 3 hitpoints. Their ability: Can spend their resources for any Card with the dwarf trait (or the dwarf keyword in its descriptive text).

What do you think?

In point of fact, there actually were 12 named dwarves that were together for the events depicted in all six quests.  Except for Thorin's capture before "Spider and Flies", all thirteen named dwarves were together from the beginning of the book through the Batlle of Five Armies.

However, with Kili, Fili, and Bofur missing from the hero ranks you are three short, two short if you include Thorin.  Of the other existing heroes, Gandalf, Beorn, Bard, and Dain Ironfoot are all named within the text of the Hobbit, though only Gandalf actually participated in a majority of the quests.

FFG will not release generic heroes, and I for one would grudge the card if they did, since I want named heroes (even if invented) with specific and unique abilites.  I would certainly not object to see Bofur, Kili, and Fili heroes, though only Bofur has a chance.  That leaves you with several options:

1) Use any hero card you want as the "generic hero" you desire.  Since you want a nameless generic dwarf with a generic ability and fixed stats any will do -- or you could just round up three copies of Brok Ironfist and use him as a 2/2/1/4 9-threat generic dwarf.

2) Use the existing Bofur, Kili, and Fili cards to represent your hero versions of them.  You could choose to "house rule" them as 2/2/2/3 heroes, or just treat them as the hero version of their ally cards, though only TaBofur has an ability that would be useful in a hero.

3) Use dwarves that *could have* participated in the Hobbit.  Gimli was an adult dwarf at the time of the Hobbit and certainly could have gone with his father, Thalin has no backstory, but given dwarvish lifespans (and the known fact that not all of Thorin's company were even of Durin's line), certainly could have gone as well.  Throw in Gimli, Thalin, and Thorin and you have twelve dwarves that *could have* participated in all six quests.  That's as thematic as you are likely to get.

If you don't like Gimli because he wasn't on the actual quest, I have bad news for your "generic dwarf plan" -- there were no unnamed dwarves on the quest, either.  In fact, these are the only permissible allies for your four dwarf decks in the current pool, if you want to be perfectly thematic:

All -- Kili, Fili, Bofur

Must Away -- Gandalf

Misty Mountains -- Elrond (stage one [counsel]), Gandalf

Dungeons Deep -- Gandalf, Eagles (stage 3)

Spiders and Flies -- none

Lonely Mountain -- none (no Bard ally)

Battle of Five Armies -- dwarves, Silvan elves, Dale/Woodman humans, Eagles, Beorn

Given that the dwarvish strategy in the game involves dwarven swarming, I don't think this approach will work very well.

Yea, I know. Basically you are right with your long post.

I think what bugs me the most is: when having all the dwarfs as heroes on the table, then there is no room for allies in the decks. And even more the dwarf swarm won't work anymore, too.

Yea, I know. Basically you are right with your long post.

I think what bugs me the most is: when having all the dwarfs as heroes on the table, then there is no room for allies in the decks. And even more the dwarf swarm won't work anymore, too.

So isn't the answer really more generic dwarves?

I can see some more dwarf allies being good.  I find that building a 1 player dwarf deck is easy.  Doing 2 players out of 1 card pool is no as easy...  There are a lot of named dwarfs that limit your play between who can be hero / ally in game.  Besides, while dwarfs are still powerful, they did nerf them down a bit didn't they?

I don't think I agree with non-unique heroes, because unique means a lot in this game, and being a hero should mean a lot in this game.  Just keep expanding the card pool ^_^

PLUS - I mean, its your game man.  I would recommend as was mentioned above and just use Fili / Kili cards and Brok as heroes to fill the gaps if you want to play more hero oriented.

Edited by shosuko

Couldn't disagree more.

Care to elaborate? :)

Okay.

I have to say I DISagree with Gizlivadi. I'd much rather see NO more FFG created heroes than non-unique heroes. 

Non-unique heroes just seems RIGHT for some reason.... multiple copies on the board etc (I know thats sort of the whole point but it just seemS right).